Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Black or White MacBook and Why...

View Poll Results: Black or White MacBook?
Poll Options:
Black 27 votes (45.76%)
White 29 votes (49.15%)
I have both 3 votes (5.08%)
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll
Black or White MacBook and Why...
harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2008, 11:57 PM

I just wondered, for those of you with MacBooks, did you get a black one or a white one and why...

I purchased the black one recently, and I'm loving it. I like the color black more than white when it comes right down to it, so I sprung for the more expensive one. Well, that and the fact that it had the larger hard drive.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

mike868y
Feb 19, 2008, 12:15 AM

I got a white one. All windows notebooks are black, but when you pull out a shiny white macbook it something unique and just screams apple

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2008, 12:20 AM

I like the White but I like the Black too. The white scratches and gets dirty very easily. but I can't see myself paying more for the black paint. because when it comes down to it you pay extra for the black paint because if you custom config a white one to the same specs it is cheaper.
Bla Bla Bla

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 01:43 AM

I got a BlackBook simply because I think black is cool. I have a black car also. And most of my home theater equipment is black.

And black is not a color. It's the absolute lack of color.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2008, 02:14 AM

i got a blackbook because i don't think i like white that much. I wish it could be a glossy black though.

walkerjs
Feb 19, 2008, 07:23 PM

I have both. Well, both in the family that is. My Macbook is white and my wife's is black. I got her the black because she really likes it, and we have found that really liking to look at your computer when you have to stare at it for hours is a good thing.

I have white because it matches my iPod. And headphones, and external keyboard, and Mighty Mouse, and external monitor connector (though the monitor itself is black.) I haven't noticed that the white picks up scratches all that easily, but the black does get a big 'greasy' and 'shiny' over time.

harbinger75  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2008, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
I got a BlackBook simply because I think black is cool. I have a black car also. And most of my home theater equipment is black.

Yes, but it would have been a tad bit goofy to have put up a poll with the title: "Absolute Lack of Color or White MacBook and Why..."

the geek source

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
Yes, but it would have been a tad bit goofy to have put up a poll with the title: "Absolute Lack of Color or White MacBook and Why..."

Or better yet, "Absolute Lack of Color or Absolute Presence of Color and Why..."

harbinger75  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2008, 12:01 AM

Or better yet, "Absolute Lack of Color or Absolute Presence of Color and Why..."
Hehe, yeah, that would have been a very good descriptor!

the geek source

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2008, 12:52 AM

Some people are such racists - it's hard to believe that our country is ready for a black president, but people think we're not ready for a black powerbook. what's up with that?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2008, 01:55 AM

I went with the white because I didn't want to pay an extra $150 just for a different color.

I got a chance to play with a friend's black MacBook, though, and it does have a special je ne sais quoi to it.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2008, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by wataru View Post
I went with the white because I didn't want to pay an extra $150 just for a different color.
If I am not mistaken, you get also the 160 GB hard drive.

I got a chance to play with a friend's black MacBook, though, and it does have a special je ne sais quoi to it.
Yes, this is due to the fact that the material structure of the black one is different. It is not a white one painted black. It has a nice rubber feel on it.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2008, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Pierre B. View Post
If I am not mistaken, you get also the 160 GB hard drive.
You aren't mistaken. But if you customize the white MacBook to be identical to the black MacBook in every spec, the black one is still $150 more expensive. So yes, that's $150 just for black. Edit: It's actually a $125 difference.

Of course they do say that once you go black, you don't go back...

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2008, 05:52 AM

You aren't mistaken. But if you customize the white MacBook to be identical to the black MacBook in every spec, the black one is still $150 more expensive. So yes, that's $150 just for black.
I see. Yes, $150 is a little bit too much. And in Europe is even more.

I don't know. My wife does not like black. She would like a white one, and yes, she knows how they do feel both in person. For her (and other people of course) what matters is just the color and not the overall feeling due to the different material.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2008, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by danbrew View Post
Some people are such racists - it's hard to believe that our country is ready for a black president, but people think we're not ready for a black powerbook. what's up with that?

It's The Man keeping the Black Macbook down.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2008, 06:05 AM

Well, I bought a Macbook Air... but I would probably get the black Macbook, even though it does cost more. I think it's better looking and stands out more. My stepson bought one a month ago and it smudges like crazy. You'd just have to keep it clean and wipe it down more often.

OreoCookie
Feb 20, 2008, 06:55 AM

I love the look of the black one. If I didn't own a ProBook, I'd pay the premium just for the looks.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2008, 08:29 AM

The black macbook is really a great looking computer and like Oreo if I didn't own a MBP, I'd have one of those. If Apple redesigned its MBP line and offered a black laptop, I'd be all over that.

OreoCookie
Feb 20, 2008, 08:47 AM

Oh yeah! A black ProBook … fortunately I'm sure the future ProBook will take some design queues from the AirBook.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 20, 2008, 08:57 AM

When my wife's iBook finally gives up the ghost, she's getting a black MacBook. It has the faster processor (currently the 2.2GHz C2D) and comes with a larger hard drive (160GB). Plus it looks sharp.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2008, 01:29 PM

White. Didn't want to pay extra for black.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
I just wondered, for those of you with MacBooks, did you get a black one or a white one and why...

I purchased the black one recently, and I'm loving it. I like the color black more than white when it comes right down to it, so I sprung for the more expensive one. Well, that and the fact that it had the larger hard drive.
Most guys like black devices more, but I like and bought a white MacBook. It's not really "white" though.

So you paid more money for the black one because it's black and has a bigger hard drive? I paid about $1260.00 total for my white MacBook with a 200GB 7200 RPM HD with 4GB RAM. I like to save money when increasing performance, if possible. And it runs pretty fast.
Actually, I say, "once you go Mac, you'll never go back!"
( Last edited by DCJ001; Feb 20, 2008 at 06:00 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2008, 06:20 PM

harbinger75  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2008, 08:42 PM

So you paid more money for the black one because it's black and has a bigger hard drive? I paid about $1260.00 total for my white MacBook with a 200GB 7200 RPM HD with 4GB RAM. I like to save money when increasing performance, if possible. And it runs pretty fast.
Yup. I liked the black better...more my "taste." The larger hard drive was just an added bonus for me. I've really grown to love the "texture" of the black MacBook's exterior, too. The matte finish appeals to me a bit more.

But, don't get me wrong...I would have gladly taken the white MacBook if it meant getting back into a Mac.
the geek source

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2008, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
When my wife's iBook finally gives up the ghost, she's getting a black MacBook. It has the faster processor (currently the 2.2GHz C2D) and comes with a larger hard drive (160GB). Plus it looks sharp.
You can customize the white one to have identical specs but the black still costs more. Try it yourself.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 21, 2008, 09:58 AM

She still likes the black one better...

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
She still likes the black one better...
That's fine, but it's misleading to say "you get a faster processor and bigger hard drive" when justifying the extra cost. You're paying a lot more than you gain in terms of specs.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 21, 2008, 11:16 AM

That's fine, but it's misleading to say "you get a faster processor and bigger hard drive" when justifying the extra cost. You're paying a lot more than you gain in terms of specs.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be misleading. The stock version of the black MacBook has the faster of the two processors offered in the MacBook line, and comes with a larger hard drive standard. BTO options let you bring a white MacBook up to the same specs as the stock black MacBook.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2008, 03:20 PM

wrong again gh... a stock white mid level macbook is basically a blackbook with 40gb less (and color of course).

wait...reading your post over and over again leads me to believe you might not be wrong, or you might still be wrong depending on what you mean in a sentence...point is there is no performance difference between the two stock macbook machines other than color and a lil hard drive space.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

mario_capo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2008, 04:00 PM

Like everything apple, nothing stays nice looking for long. I love the black when brand new but my buddy bought a black one a few months after I bought my white. And his looks like crap with greasy spots and finger prints, and he bought a cleaner for it which still doesn't help much. If it was a kind of black that didn't grease up from hands I would consider springing for it. Still don't think you should have to pay more for a black one though.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 21, 2008, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
wrong again gh... a stock white mid level macbook is basically a blackbook with 40gb less (and color of course).

wait...reading your post over and over again leads me to believe you might not be wrong, or you might still be wrong depending on what you mean in a sentence...point is there is no performance difference between the two stock macbook machines other than color and a lil hard drive space.
That's precisely what I was saying-you get the faster processor (which is offered in both case colors) and the larger hard drive. STOCK, the thing you get with a black MacBook is a larger drive.

harbinger75  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2008, 11:08 PM

Like everything apple, nothing stays nice looking for long. I love the black when brand new but my buddy bought a black one a few months after I bought my white. And his looks like crap with greasy spots and finger prints, and he bought a cleaner for it which still doesn't help much. If it was a kind of black that didn't grease up from hands I would consider springing for it. Still don't think you should have to pay more for a black one though.
It all depends on how you treat your stuff. I've managed to keep countless tech items (computers, cameras, etc.) looking like new with a little more obsessive compulsive TLC than normal. I've been able to sell them on eBay when I was ready to upgrade, and they were like new after quite a bit of time.

I've owned several notebook computers, both Mac and PC, and none of them were as you described when I was ready to sell them.
the geek source

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2008, 01:54 PM

I voted both - My daughter has a white one and I have a black one. Personally, I prefer the black. My daughter likes the white (and she's got a pink clear Speck case on it, too. Go figure).

godrifle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2008, 06:44 PM

... I prefer the white one 100%. The black just looked grungy all the time, due to natural body oils. I really disliked that. So, white all the way for me.

loz=]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2008, 02:35 AM

i got white coz i was running out of money and thought that dust would show up on black more...
but black is a better colour
LOZ.

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2008, 03:52 AM

Black. It looks so much nicer, and the rubberized feel reminds me of the Pismo.

Did I mention I like the black?

bjojade
Feb 23, 2008, 03:09 PM

I've had both. There are definite differences in the case material on the black unit. The white ones are a gloss white surface on the outside and the blacks are a matte finish. The matte finish definitely shows fingerprints much faster.

For a rough reference, those that have the white books, the area around the trackpad is a matte finish. This area gets dirty very easily and can be hard to clean whereas the outside of the white books cleans easily with glass cleaner. There was such an issue with discolored top cases on the white MacBooks that Apple replaces them for free if it gets dirty looking.

The black color doesn't show dirt, but it does show fingerprint marks easily.

Now I carry a macBook pro. The metal casing is much easier to clean and maintain. Definitely recommended.

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2008, 07:14 PM

black looks cooler. . . especially after seeing it in action in the movie National Treasure (the sequel). . .
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

SamGuy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2008, 07:34 PM

In the case of the MacBook (and in dealing with pigments), Black is the presence of all colors.

When dealing with light, black is the lack of all colors.

The More You Know

SamGuy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2008, 07:36 PM

I own a white one. because it was the cheapest. bought it the week it was released.
wish i got an iBook.

and you've all seen this, right?
YouTube - Mac Spoof: Performance

harbinger75  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2008, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by SamGuy View Post
I own a white one. because it was the cheapest. bought it the week it was released.
wish i got an iBook.

and you've all seen this, right?
YouTube - Mac Spoof: Performance
My wife and I had a pretty good laugh at that video! Thanks for a bit of a chuckle in an otherwise "pissy mood" sort of afternoon!
the geek source

fire3500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2008, 07:18 PM

I have a black MacBook (mid 2007) and it's for sale...

reason?

well, I'm a clean freak and my 2005 PowerBook is less of a fingerprint magnet and shows wear less readily. the black MacBook shows every fingerprint and looks dirty and quite unprofessional very easily. so the plan is to sell the MacBook, I've already sold my PowerBook (quite sad about that ) and will use the funds from both to get a refurb 2.4Ghz 15" MBP.

the killer for me is the trackpad, I am on my second keyboard in 12 months and this one is about 2 months old and looks horrible, shiny mark on space-bar and big shiny circle in the middle of the matt-black trackpad... I do not know why Apple either did not select a more durable material or go shiny from the get-go.

the actual performance of the computer is not at all to be sniffed at, I've been very happy with that aspect but for me the cosmetic issue is enough to make me want to upgrade. I suppose I also miss the lighted keyboard and am looking forward to 256Mb graphics as I'm playing more with RAW images now and it's been a toss-up between 128Mb in the G4 or 64Mb in the C2D... time to cure that with 256Mb of Santa Rosa equipped goodness

YMMV

RiquiScott
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2008, 12:39 AM

We just got my wife one of the black MacBooks to replace her old 17" G4 PowerBook. Decided on the black one for aesthetic reasons, but I'm putting an Invisible Shield full-coverage kit on it as soon as the kit arrives in the mail to guard against the fingerprint/body oil problems in the future. I have one of the I.S. full-coverage film kits on my MBPro, and really like it, both from a scratch/scuff protection standpoint, and for how it makes the silver finish look - like silver automotive paint, rather than matte aluminum.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2008, 02:26 AM

Well, I bought a White macbook, base model. The I proceeded to max out the memory and hard drive. Only thing I'm missing is a superdrive instead of the combo I've got now. But that can be swapped later and I have an external USB/ Firewire dvdrw dl. So I'm good for now.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2008, 06:43 AM

Unlike many, I actually thought I preferred the white to black, because I'm not a business type and don't need to fit in with guys in suits and would rather my computer look different than all the other black non-Apple laptops.
But the store was offering the previous edition black model at a huge discount, and included AppleCare, so ironically I'd have had to pay a $100 "white tax" on either the current or previous model white MacBook to achieve the same or nearly the same specs.

Fortunately, both models look so good that I could choose based on performance, not cosmetics. And now I actually prefer the black model, primarily because of the rubbery matte texture others have mentioned. It's hard to describe but it just feels so good under my hands -- MUCH better than my previous laptops (G4 aluminum PowerBook, white G3 iBook or Pismo Powerbook). And it's much less slippery when picking up the MacBook. I now consider the texture a compelling feature.

As for the color... I still probably slightly prefer white (actually my top choice is green or pearl, but apple doesn't offer those. and yes I looked at colored cases but they didn't do much for me), in part to match the power charger and remote. But in every other respect, the black model looks better as well as feels better. The white on grey keyboard looks cheesy to me compared to the black keys on black background. The matte finish looks cooler than the glossy white or any black non-Apple laptops. (Leave it to apple designers -- even their less distinctive color still looks distinctive compared to other black laptops.) And the white apple looks MUCH more striking against the black background -- and unlike with my old Pismo, it's right side up!

I've only been using it for a week, so I can't comment on long term cosmetic issues. I have noticed the smudging on the trackpad (which is a different texture and perhaps material than the rest of the exterior), but it wipes away easily with a pass of the polishing cloth, and I haven't noticed it elsewhere. Whereas I do remember all the little scratches that quickly marred by old white G3 iBook, though I don't know if the white MacBook uses the same finish. I've heard that the black model shows scratches much less than the white.

So while I wouldn't pay a premium for either color over the other, all things being equal, I'd now recommend the black model over the white. Of course, color preference is all a matter of taste anyway. I'm sure I'd have loved the white if I'd gotten it instead.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Mar 10, 2008, 03:29 PM

I'm getting a new MBP instead , but I would have to say black for the MB. The white somehow feels cheaper, and definitely shows use a lot easier - it all went wrong when they changed to the 'opaque' iBook look about 5 years back, and those very white, plasticky wrist pads show grease and dirt like there's no tomorrow.

Also as has been said, black is cool . I would in fact probably prefer it to the look of the MBPs - I've spent three years with a 12" PB and it feels like just more of the same there. They should make the black more like a 12" PB replacement!

harbinger75  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post
I'm getting a new MBP instead , but I would have to say black for the MB. The white somehow feels cheaper, and definitely shows use a lot easier - it all went wrong when they changed to the 'opaque' iBook look about 5 years back, and those very white, plasticky wrist pads show grease and dirt like there's no tomorrow.

Also as has been said, black is cool . I would in fact probably prefer it to the look of the MBPs - I've spent three years with a 12" PB and it feels like just more of the same there. They should make the black more like a 12" PB replacement!
As much as I'm loving this BlackBook, I'd still love to have been able to fork out the extra cash to get a Pro. I love brushed metal-looking stuff, and the Pro would have fit in wonderfully. But, hopefully next year's tax-return .
the geek source

drissa
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2008, 08:33 AM

I went for black on the refurb store (and saved £270!), but I wouldn't have paid the extra for a new one.

rogermugs
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2008, 09:28 AM

you dont pay the extra for color...
you buy a case or paint it if you're desperate....

also.

black?

Kestral
Senior User
Mar 25, 2008, 04:06 PM

I own a black MacBook and I'm in the market for a backup computer (and I'll be using it to run Logic Studio and do digital audio), I think I'm going to go white and get a red Speck See-Thru case for it. I think both colors look good. The black definitely looks better in a professional business settting imo but the white with a See-Thru case looks more fun and creative. I'll get to have both. Either way, white or black, the best thing about the MacBook is IT'S NOT A DELL/HP/COMPAQ/ACER/etc

Forum Links
Forum Rules