Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Argentine president lays 'inalienable' claim to Falklands

Argentine president lays 'inalienable' claim to Falklands
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2008, 11:46 PM

Rather that resurrect a "zombie thread" http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...ver-new-claim/

Is Argentina saber rattling again?
Argentine president lays 'inalienable' claim to Falklands - Yahoo! News

Wed Apr 2, 4:11 PM ET

BUENOS AIRES (AFP) - Argentina's claim to the Falkland Islands, which remain in British hands after the 1982 war between the two countries, is "inalienable," President Cristina Kirchner said Wednesday.

"The sovereign claim to the Malvinas Islands is inalienable," she said in a speech marking the 26th anniversary of Argentina's ill-fated invasion of the islands, located 480 kilometers (300 miles) off shore.

The April 2, 1982 invasion prompted then British prime minister Margaret Thatcher to deploy naval forces to retake the Falklands, known as the Malvinas in Spanish.

The short, bloody conflict led to Argentina's surrender on June 14, 1982 after the death of 649 Argentines and 255 Britons.

Historians saw the invasion as an attempt by Argentina's ruling military junta, which was then in power, to divert attention away from domestic problems.

In her speech Kirchner called for Argentina to strengthen its representation in international bodies to denounce "this shameful colonial enclave in the 21st century."

And Vice President Julio Cobos said in the southern city of Rio Grande that "we must recover this territory that is ours, that belongs to us."

The comments came as Kirchner faces her own woes, battling against farmers who have barricaded roads in a protest against a stiff tax hike on soybean exports.

The conflict has created shortages of meat and other staples in Buenos Aires and elsewhere, and tested the social fabric, with pro- and anti-government supporters holding dueling rallies.

Foreign Minister Jorge Taina said, meanwhile, that Argentina was awaiting authorization from Britain to allow families of Argentine military personnel killed in the war to fly to the islands for the inauguration of a memorial.

London is insisting the travel be carried out by ship, but Buenos Aires has pointed out that many of the relatives are elderly and would find a long return sea voyage too tough.
45/47

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2008, 12:13 AM

The way I see it there are about 3000 people living there and currently the Falkland Islands are a self-governing Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom.

There are currently 14 such territories, all under UK sovreignty. They are all old strategic points for the British Empire. Either militarily strategic or economically as a base of colonial operations.

Of course none of the territories are currently important militarily for the UK.

My favorite territory are the Pitcairn Islands, with their own flag and internet domain suffix, .pn and a population of about 50. Persons.

Even they look like a cosmopolitan nation compared to South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, which too have their internet suffix, .gs and a *staff* of 10-30 people. Depending how the shifts are set up one assumes. The entire population is just staff and the entire population would fit in a small bus.

Point being, none of these territories can sustain themselves as independent nations, except perhaps Bermuda, with the comparatively massive population of 66 thousand and actually some land to speak of. Not alot, but compared to most of the other territories it's abundant.

So the Falkland Islands cannot become a sustainable nation, even if they so desired. Which they apparently do not, since they consider themselves as British. So what is their future? Not very interesting, I dare say.

Most of the other territories that aren't just military bases, have managed to market themselves as tax havens for international corporations and individuals (Cayman Island, Bermuda, Gibraltar..), but the Falkland Islands?

A sheep haven?

Would the UK notice it if every single one of the 14 territories disappeared tomorrow? Honestly?

I have my doubts. I wonder what the Falklands cost the UK and whether the average Brit would be quite so keen on keeping them if they realized how much of their taxes are being drained into some remote islands to support the 3000 people there.

I suspect the tax havens can support themselves, but the sheep haven? Nah.

Finally, since I'm neither a citizen of the UK nor Argentina, I don't have a dog in this. At least not directly. However I do generally question the purpose of being adamant on holding overseas territories.. Especially some more than others. The Falkland Islands, I'm rather ambivilant about.
( Last edited by Weyland-Yutani; Apr 3, 2008 at 12:22 AM. )

“Building Better Worlds”

finboy
Apr 3, 2008, 01:07 PM

I think George Bush should offer to purchase the Falklands from the British for $1. Then I bet the tune down south would change.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2008, 01:14 PM

Argentina should just up and take them. What's Britain going to do, go to war again at this point? Naw. They'll pussy out.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Atomic Rooster
Apr 3, 2008, 06:09 PM

Britain should just say "ere, av em."

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Argentina should just up and take them. What's Britain going to do, go to war again at this point? Naw. They'll pussy out.

greg
I suspect that after the last little spot of trouble, Pussying out would not be an option. Any incumbent government would be brought down.

What we would do I have no idea. I can't see the UK armed forces having the manpower to mount any large scale operation without removing troops from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Forum Links
Forum Rules