Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Did Apple Kill Firewire Today?

Did Apple Kill Firewire Today?
TailsToo
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2008, 07:43 PM

So now the new Macbooks have no firewire port, and just a FW800 port on the new Pros. Firewire ports have been standard on the Mac line for years and years (other than the Air) but if Apple has removed it from their best selling computer, does that mean that companies will give up and just support USB?

I love my FireWire devices, but is it time to start looking for USB replacements?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2008, 07:58 PM

I think Apple just wants to kill FW400. Seriously, this will probably lead to more USB2/FW800 external drives.

Since Apple dropped FW from the iPod, and since the internal iSight cameras run on the USB bus instead of the FW bus, keeping the FW in consumer Macs make less sense.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 08:00 PM

Or just get a MBP if you want to use portable FireWire devices... The vast majority of consumer peripherals are USB, and generally FireWire is only necessary for video stuff, which most people would want a MBP for anyway.

I agree it would be nice to have FW on everything, but I think there's also an argument to be made that it's a waste of money to put FW on a MB where most people aren't going to use it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2008, 08:05 PM

There is no need whatsoever for a MBP to do video. The MB is plenty fast for video.

What I'd recommend is just getting the 2.4 GHz MacBook refurb.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
There is no need whatsoever for a MBP to do video. The MB is plenty fast for video.

What I'd recommend is just getting the 2.4 GHz MacBook refurb.
Are you kidding? I don't even like coding on a 13" screen, let alone editing video. Sure it's possible to edit video on a non-Pro, but that doesn't mean it's not more desireable to use a MacBook Pro.

TailsToo  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2008, 08:51 PM

My point is that peripheral manufacturers will see this as Apple giving up on FireWire. Every new MacBook sold is one less FireWire customer now. It could lead to hire prices for FireWire devices, or a much more limited selection.

I'm just thinking this is a bad move on Apple's part, along with their decision not to offer matte displays on their "Pro" notebook.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 08:57 PM

Really I think that's the way things were heading either. It's just another format war, and the better than necessary, higher prices competitor is losing again.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2008, 08:59 PM

Do HD camcorders have USB connections, just like a USB portable? Seems like most *consumer* DV camcorders still need a FW400 port on the *consumer* MacBook. It's not like iMovie isn't included on the MB.

finboy
Oct 14, 2008, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post
My point is that peripheral manufacturers will see this as Apple giving up on FireWire. Every new MacBook sold is one less FireWire customer now. It could lead to hire prices for FireWire devices, or a much more limited selection.

I'm just thinking this is a bad move on Apple's part, along with their decision not to offer matte displays on their "Pro" notebook.
Yup. Happened with cheap SCSI too, with the iMac. (It was also a bad hit for ADB at the same time.)

If you're feeling all let down and stuff right now, that's what some of us felt in 98. Welcome to the "screwed by Apple arbitrarily" club.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2008, 09:08 PM

I think Apple was looking for ways to differentiate the two models. Since pound for pound the MB has nearly the same components of the MBP yet its a thousand dollars cheaper. If you want a faster GPU, or a larger screen or FW then you'll need to consider the MBP.

Personally I'm having a hard time justifying the cost of the MBP, the only thing that's stopping me now is the dual GPU. I use Aperture and I'm wondering if the superior GPU will be beneficial to me, or will the MB be adequate.
~Mike

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 09:11 PM

I'm very tempted by the MBP, except for the price. I want the screen real estate more than anything else. Which is why I sold my old MacBook for a ThinkPad T61. Maybe once I can be sure the spiffy new trackpad has good Linux support.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 14, 2008, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
I think Apple was looking for ways to differentiate the two models. Since pound for pound the MB has nearly the same components of the MBP yet its a thousand dollars cheaper. If you want a faster GPU, or a larger screen or FW then you'll need to consider the MBP.

Personally I'm having a hard time justifying the cost of the MBP, the only thing that's stopping me now is the dual GPU. I use Aperture and I'm wondering if the superior GPU will be beneficial to me, or will the MB be adequate.
Since when does $700 equal $1000?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
Do HD camcorders have USB connections, just like a USB portable?
The flash and hard drive based ones do.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2008, 09:36 PM

What about target disk mode- don't you need FW for that or is my info out of date?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 09:38 PM

TDM needs FireWire.

I think they've killed it for consumers. Definitely not for pros though.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2008, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The flash and hard drive based ones do.
Thanks. I can only assume this is what they expect people to be using.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 09:48 PM

Tape is on its way out.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 14, 2008, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
TDM needs FireWire.

I think they've killed it for consumers.
And for techs.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 11:16 PM

Apple killed Firewire when they stopped supporting it on iPods.

bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2008, 11:30 PM

Apple getting rid of firewire on macbooks is crazy! I am an indie filmmaker have had short get into film festivals and I guess what I edited them on my macbook, yes I believe I can't run motion, but as the type of stuff I do isn't special effects (or whatever motion is for) I don't need a macbook pro, I also like the portability of the macbook. Yes I can see that the macbook pro would be better for serious editing, but for us semi-professional indie filmmakers working out of our garages and having a separate day job to keep us going, the macbook was the perfect economical/space saving option. Also as someone pointed out a lot of camcorders are still FW, when it comes to consumer camcorders the USB ones are problematic for editing. So for anyone who is either at my level or for someone just wanting to edit their family videos, no firewire port on a macbook is really problematic. For instance I have a friend who wants to edit her soccer matches for her soccer club, what will she do now? By the way she actually had tried editing stuff from a usb camcorder and had lots of problems, till I told her to use a FW camcorder. Fortunately she had a fw macbook to edit on. I think apple has underestimated the number of people who are trying to make and edit their own video, yes to them a soccer mum editing her soccer video may not be considered professional, it's not going to make it to the cinemas, but it still will be important for her to do a good video, so she can show it at her end of year soccer party etc.

bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2008, 11:34 PM

Apple getting rid of firewire on macbooks really sux, and is such a stupid decision! Yeah they might as well just get rid of imovie too on a macbook! Good luck for all those people who will try and edit through USB2! Have fun (not)!

bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2008, 11:41 PM

oh and one last point, that person who said "Or just get a MBP if you want to use portable FireWire devices" well some of us don't want (or have the money) to spend thousands more to get a computer which is bigger (and therefore less portable) and has a whole lot of specs that we don't need, just to get a firewire port! Thank god I already have a macbook, but if I do need an upgrade I certainly won't be buying for a least a year or two until Apple has the sense to reintroduce the firewire drive. I can't believe the stupidity of Apple they have really shot themselves in the foot with this no firewire idea!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2008, 11:46 PM

Apple will continue to make these very unpopular types of decisions when they please because they know they have a generally captive market. Witness glossy-only MBP screens. Look at Apple's complete abandonment of the midrange tower market. This is the problem with having a single hardware vendor for our platform. Although I too am angry over these issues, it's probably best to come to terms with it.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Oct 14, 2008 at 11:57 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2008, 11:55 PM

but they only have a captive market because macbooks were so easy to edit on (amongst other things), but if they are going to get rid of firewire, then whats to stop people saying well might as well get a pc. The thing is the less professional the video editor the more they need firewire, because USB is so hard to edit with, that people who don't understand too much about filmmaking and editing found the firewire/imovie combo of macbook great because there wasn't too much troubleshooting. Trying to use USB2 means you actually have to be a bit of a video expert to get it to work. So in some ways as much as the professional editors like firewire, it is necessary for the amateurs too. Personally the only reason I have stayed with mac is because of the combo of firewire and fcp, if you could get these 2 on a pc, well not saying I'd definitely get a pc, but it definitely make a pc a viable option to me.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by bonniescotland View Post
oh and one last point, that person who said "Or just get a MBP if you want to use portable FireWire devices" well some of us don't want (or have the money) to spend thousands more to get a computer which is bigger (and therefore less portable) and has a whole lot of specs that we don't need, just to get a firewire port!
So buy a used/refurbished MacBook with FireWire. Or even a used/refurbished MacBook Pro. If you need FireWire, then you need to buy a computer that has FireWire. That is no longer the MacBook. Get over it.

Thank god I already have a macbook, but if I do need an upgrade I certainly won't be buying for a least a year or two until Apple has the sense to reintroduce the firewire drive.
The chances that will happen are very low.

I can't believe the stupidity of Apple they have really shot themselves in the foot with this no firewire idea!
Right. Because they didn't do any research before making this decision and failed to realize that their MacBook sales were solely dependent on the fact that MacBooks had FireWire and that not a single one of those people who would have bought a MacBook are going to be willing to get a MacBook Pro.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2008, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
So buy a used/refurbished MacBook with FireWire. Or even a used/refurbished MacBook Pro. If you need FireWire, then you need to buy a computer that has FireWire. That is no longer the MacBook. Get over it.
Actually it is still on the MacBook 2.1. So you can just get that. It's actually faster than the more expensive aluminum MacBook. It's also much cheaper, and putting 4 GB RAM in it will only cost you $60 extra. (4 GB in the aluminum MacBook is $150 extra.)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2008, 12:47 AM

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2008, 12:53 AM

Doesn't that just go to /dev/null?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2008, 01:18 AM

Are you kidding? I don't even like coding on a 13" screen, let alone editing video. Sure it's possible to edit video on a non-Pro, but that doesn't mean it's not more desireable to use a MacBook Pro.
Yeah, but if they'd upped the resolution on that 15" screen that would help. 1440x900 isn't much better than 1280x800.

External monitor, here I come.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2008, 01:31 AM

The chances that will happen are very low.
I dunno, they added FW800 to the iMac not that long ago, and it hadn't had FW800 previously. So it is possible for them to move things in the pro-Firewire direction if they decide to. It's possible that Apple just wants to kill off FW400 and the old-style connector. If they decide to make a pro feature out of FW3200 at some point, then it might make sense to try to get users used to the connector type by putting FW800 on the consumer line. If the new MacBook fails to sell as well as the old one, or if the still-available plastic MacBook outsells the aluminum one by a significant margin, it's conceivable that they could sit back and reconsider.

Whether or not that's likely, I don't know. But I would send feedback if you feel strongly about this.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Grryshecjk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2008, 03:30 AM

Hopefully they come out with a cheap adapter.. I know Monoprice has them for really cheap so it doesn't bother me... although it is a bit of a step back imo

OreoCookie
Oct 15, 2008, 04:24 AM

FireWire has only gained acceptance in special areas -- video editing and audio are two. I know a few musicians on this forum will be pretty disappointed they can no longer get a (smaller and lighter) MacBook to connect it to their favorite peripherals. On the other hand, other peripherals such as external harddrives, usually use USB and you have to pay extra to get one with FireWire ports.

I'm a bit surprised, though, that Apple did not offer eSATA ports, now this would be great for people to connect external harddrives at native speeds
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2008, 07:43 AM

I wonder how many consumers (who's the main target audience for the MB) actually use/care about firewire. The majority of non-professional people who I know don't have a clue about firewire vs. usb. All they want to do is hook up an external drive and you can do that with usb2
~Mike

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2008, 07:50 AM

Right. ^^
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2008, 08:24 AM

I'd agree with the thinking that they want out with FW400, moving the connectors on to 800 and above. Most peripheral connections now are USB2, and FW800 is getting more standardised. FW800 makes sense over FW400 now the same way as USB2 took over from 1.1. If Apple didn't do this kind of think we would still be using floppies, SCSI and ADB.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2008, 09:00 AM

can you use target disk mode with fw800?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2008, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
can you use target disk mode with fw800?
Of course.

Actually it is still on the MacBook 2.1. So you can just get that. It's actually faster than the more expensive aluminum MacBook. It's also much cheaper, and putting 4 GB RAM in it will only cost you $60 extra. (4 GB in the aluminum MacBook is $150 extra.)
Newegg has the 4 GB RAM for $45 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233066

This only applies to the white/black MacBook, which uses DDR2. The new aluminum MacBook uses DDR3, which is much, much more expensive.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2008, 09:22 AM

It's funny - I refused to buy the first generation iBook because it lacked Firewire when it really should have had it. I jumped when Firewire was added. Now, around nine or ten years later, the iBook's descendant again lacks Firewire for no good reason.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2008, 09:31 AM

I think this was a rather inconsiderate move on Apple's part.
Every Mac should have the same standard set of ports, with the Pro Models simply having more of them.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2008, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It's funny - I refused to buy the first generation iBook because it lacked Firewire when it really should have had it. I jumped when Firewire was added. Now, around nine or ten years later, the iBook's descendant again lacks Firewire for no good reason.
I refused to buy the first generation iBook because it had an 800x600 screen, and it looked like a toilet seat.

The sad part here is that it's very likely FireWire is gone for good. It makes sense from their business perspective IMO, since the vast, vast majority of MacBook owners likely never have used FireWire, and likely never will.

Plus they now have a further incentive in the higher end models to push the upgrade for new buyers. However, they did throw us a bone by keeping the old MacBooks around.

I liken this to keeping the Power Macs when the Mac Pro was introduced, and keeping the TiBook around when AluBooks were introduced. The Power Mac maintained backwards compatibility with numerous applications, and the TiBook maintained proper OS 9 boot support.

The lesson though is that once those machines were gone, they were gone. I think the same will apply with FireWire. At the next refresh, I expect FireWire will be gone forever from the MacBook line.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2008, 09:41 AM

How many of us are considering going to Apple Stores to harass Apple drones over this faulty decision?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 15, 2008, 09:43 AM

Wait...someone would do that?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2008, 09:46 AM

I kinda half expected Big Mac would do that when Apple dropped PowerPC.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2008, 09:46 AM

Sure, I would consider it.
I think I was too busy mourning over that.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2008, 09:47 AM

I was just thinking that...

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2008, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Well there you go then. It's traditional!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2008, 10:15 AM

Of course.

Newegg has the 4 GB RAM for $45 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233066

This only applies to the white/black MacBook, which uses DDR2. The new aluminum MacBook uses DDR3, which is much, much more expensive.
can target disk mode be used in USB2? </hopeful>
we don't have time to stop for gas

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2008, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
can target disk mode be used in USB2? </hopeful>
Firewire was created to be a much smarter interface. Devices were made to be used together without a lot of processing to power the transfers. Not so with USB, which is "dumber" and very host CPU reliant. TDM is just one of the benefits of Firewire that you're not going to get on USB.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2008, 10:33 AM

Even if they could make it work with USB, I suspect it would be very hard. I think the MacBook Air has given us the answer, because it doesn't support USB 2 target mode, and it's been around for quite some time now. IOW, even if we could get it with USB, Apple isn't going to implement it, because they'd probably think it isn't worth the effort.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 15, 2008, 10:59 AM

Well, we do have this thing called EFI, which is smart enough to negotiate it...

Forum Links
Forum Rules