Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Boot Camp Disk Error Press any key to restart

Boot Camp Disk Error Press any key to restart (Page 2)
ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2008, 06:30 PM

OS X is not only smart, it's your friend! I'd clean the ever lovin' snot out of that Windows disc before trying anything else with it. Maybe even make a copy of it; if there's a sector that's even slightly less than perfect, the Windows installer could goof up with it (oh, and it doesn't tell you when it has a "small" read error, just when it can't read when it expects to), but a copy is usually very readable. I don't know why that is, but it works!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

macnewb101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2008, 05:17 PM

Well thanks! I ended up finding another CD installer like everyone else did. I went to my campus store and got the student XP w/SP2 and everything is working smoothly. It installed great, and I'm even able to do all of my program writing on it. Thanks for everything, Glenn. I really appreciate your help!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 17, 2008, 05:23 PM

Glad to help. Those "campus level agreements" and "student discounts" really are something, aren't they?

ferber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2008, 09:49 PM

I downloaded a trial version of Parallels so I could confirm if the problem was with my Windows install disk. parallels worked just fine, I've got XP running right now. I don't have the computer skills to solve the Boot Camp problem so I recommend Parallels.

Striver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2008, 04:53 PM

I have XP pro SP2, full, retail, straight out of a factory sealed box. Installing it on an empty 250 gig drive with a fresh from scratch install of leopard on a separate 500 gig drive. Software and firmware all fully updated.

XP installs fine on the full 250 gig drive using NTFS

But on a partition I do NOT get the screen asking how I want to format the partition. Instead, the XP setup program quickly checks the drive then copies the installation files. When it restarts, I get the disk error others have described here...

Press any key to boot from CD.....
Disk error
Press any key to restart

I tried 28, 31, 32, 48, and 100 gig partitions all with the same result.
(interesting that it accepted a 100 gig FAT32 partition)

I ran the XP disk though a professional cleaner/polisher. Same result.

I burned a duplicate disk and tried with that. Same result.

Tried a different XP pro SP2 full retail disk. Same result.

Tried a partition on my main, 500 gig drive, same result.

Tried re-formating the partition as mac OS before install. The XP installer fails to see partition.

Did a 7 pass zero write on the HD before partitioning. Same result.

Tried deleting that odd 200 meg partition before install. Same result

The support.apple page about this assumes the format option is presented to the user. It is not. So it seems Apple is not yet aware there is a problem and is assuming user error. The install instructions included with XP provides no answers.

I have read in several places that this is happening to XP disks that had no problem with the beta versions of bootcamp and also that these disks work fine in parallels, so this is something that has changed in the way bootcamp works and is not a problem with the XP installer. My best guess (based on over 40 years experience working with computers) is that something in the way bootcamp is formatting the partition is seen by XP as a system disk (bootable) instead of a data disk so it sees no need to reformat. Then when the computer tries to boot to that drive there is no "boot sector" (at least that is what we called it back in the dark ages). That is why we are getting the disk error.

With this in mind I created a partition then reformatted that partition in FAT32 with a one pass zero write before installing. Same result so if there is some system info there, formatting the partition does not reach it.

Clearly bootcamp is broken. So now I am considering getting parallels or paragon....debating which way to go.

SideShowJohn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2008, 02:12 AM

Had same issues as noted by others using WinXP disc (mine is SP3)

(quick thought: to those calling out the bootcamp developers for any reason, remember that this is like icing on the cake. Running windows on Mac hardware is more of an exercise of 'hey, this is f#$cking cool'. Its not like the apple team is losing sleep about anyone having difficulty here...)

But I digress...

Specs:
WinXP SP3 disc, burned on CD from MacBook Pro from an iso file
MacBook Pro, 2.16 Core Duo, Mac OSX 10.5.x

Initial steps:
Ran Boot Camp
Partitioned to default 32GB
Ran Install
Windows install started, chose all defaults (including not changing any partition info)
After first reboot got the fatal msg: Press any key to boot from CD. Disk Error. Press any key to restart.

Steps to successful install:
Booted back to OSX (hold down OPTION while booting; select OSX install icon; press enter)
Run Bootcamp
Remove windows partition (merge into one again)
Quit BC
Run BC again
Created new partition, but manually created 31GB partition (click and slide the gap between the partitions to 31)
Run install
At the point where you have a list of partition options, I chose FAT 32 (Quick) -- this is important b/c you can access the drive from OSX if using FAT32
Followed all instructions
Voila!

Cheers, and good luck.
( Last edited by SideShowJohn; Oct 9, 2008 at 02:14 AM. Reason: update)

Striver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2008, 03:02 PM

It is obvious that we are dealing with several different problems with the same basic result. As stated in several earlier posts here, setting the size to 31 gig works around the issue in some cases. But it is still a work-around and the original problem is neither identified nor solved. And clearly it doesn't work in all or even most cases.

One thing I have learned in my investigation is that there are numerous versions of "Windows XP full with SP2". The most notable are the part numbers E85-02665 (USA version) and E85-02667 (international version). Microsoft states there are considerable programming differences between the two. There are also volume licensing editions that do not require activation. The installation process is considerably different with these. This is one reason that getting a different disk often fixes the problem.

There are also some VERY authentic fakes floating around based on the international, volume licensed edition. They are convincing right down to the COA on the box and the holo image on the CD. In fact a google image search for XP COA produces sites where you can buy the COA labels by the sheet, both real and fake.

I finally got a copy of XP direct from a Microsoft employee who bought it at the Microsoft employee store. Part number E85-02665. It works perfectly with bootcamp on any size partition. So this problem is solved for me.

kimcbaker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2008, 06:22 PM

I found that partitioning to 31GB with BootCamp Assistant still resulted in no FAT32 formatting option when installing Windows. When I removed the Windows partition and recreated at a size of 30GB, I then got the option to format with FAT32 in the Windows Installer.

MAC OS X 10.5.4

Dafred
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2008, 05:33 AM

Hi Guys,

I had tge same issue.
But then I noticed when I was instaaling XP that I had More yhan 3 drive letters ( partitions).
So I deleted One partition ( 200MB) and installed on the bootcamp partition.
No problems anymore....

KRGA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2008, 05:22 PM

A SOLUTION TO "INSTALL XP PRO SP2 INTO BOOTCAMP WITH LEOPARD, WITH NO OPTION TO FORMAT PARTITION"

After spending 14 hours trying to follow each and every lead in various discussion rooms, i was overjoyed to finally see the Windows logo on my screen.

THANK YOU TALEZ !

I followed carefully what he and Paul Thurrott's Supersite instructed.

The whole idea is to have a CD that can install the normal way, Windows XP Pro SP2 in to Boot Camp partition, as outlined in the Mac Boot Camp guideline.

Below is Talez's advice:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Check to see if there is a file named "winnt.sif" inside the I386 folder on the Windows XP CD.

If there is follow these instructions to rebuild the Windows XP CD:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

Skip steps 2 and 3 (since you already have SP2 built in) and remove the "winnt.sif" file from the I386 folder before going on to step 4.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you make the bootable CD, insert it to install with Boot Camp Assistant. It was a bit complicated, but it was the only way that works for me.

julik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2008, 04:42 PM

Ok here is how I bypassed that (costed me half a day to figure out). First of all, not all WinXP installers include the format option. I've tested two disks and neither one of them offered me to format the partition, so we need to use a workaround. If you DO NOT have the formatting options, do the following:

1) Restart with your windows CD in drive, boot off that CD
2) When shown the installer startup screen (after the 30 hour wait for the thing to load it's drivers off the CD), at some point you wlll be offered to enter a "Recovery mode" - usually with the R key. Do that.
3) You are presented with a DOS prompt, and a question "Onto which WIndows installation you want to logon" - respond to it with 1. If you type EXIT or do something else the installer will quit and you will have to wait for it to load the drivers again, so better not screw up
4) Type format C: in the DOS prompt (your bootcamp partition will be recognized as C).
5) Sit and wait for the disk to format. This makes you an NTFS partition which will be good and bootable. If you want to access that off the Mac install MacFUSE and NTFS-3G
6) After formatting is finished type EXIT, this will reboot the machine - again start off the CD, and now your Bootcamp partition will be called differently. Install onto it and proceed as per Apple manual.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 8, 2008, 09:07 PM

Not all XP install discs have the Recovery OR Repair options. I have yet to see the pattern, but I have a number of discs that just do NOT let me either Repair an installation (a very handy option) nor enter the Recovery Console (also very useful).

Basically, I'd just build a custom disc through nLite or something like it. nLite lets you select what the disc will have, including both Recovery Console and Repair.

j.carlo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2008, 09:19 PM

I have the same problem with the new Macbook, but it only says Disk error, Press any key to restart. No matter which button I press it does not do a thing. I tried using the leopard DVD and nothing. Please, help, it is my second day with it and I do not know what to do.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 24, 2008, 09:44 PM

Welcome to our forums! Can you give us some more information? For example, when you say "I tried using the leopard DVD and nothing," what do you mean by that? Will the machine not boot from your Leopard DVD? Have you held down the Alt/Option key when the boot chime sounds, or held down the "C" key when restarting? It sounds an awful lot like your Boot Camp attempt wiped out your OS X partition (which can happen if you're not observant), but you should be able to boot from the original Leopard DVD and then restore everything. Except your data, of course. Sorry.

j.carlo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2008, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the fast reply, I did just that and (pressing down C with the Leopard DVD) and I managed to got to the computer in the original state, with all the files, and deleted the windows partition with Boot Camp. Do I need to do anything more to fully delete the partition? Will this slow my system down? Sorry for all the questions but I am a Mac newbie and tried to do some things by my own, without reading anything before.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 24, 2008, 09:57 PM

Deleting the partition with the Boot Camp Utility is all you need to do. It is gone, and your whole drive is now OS X.

One problem people have with Boot Camp is that it takes some attention to detail, and some knowledge of and experience with installing Windows. There are a number of places you can go wrong. Badly wrong. If you want to try again, tread cautiously. Remember to select only the "C:" partition to install Windows on (it won't be the first one listed), and be careful to use a VERY clean Windows disc to install from.

j.carlo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2008, 10:55 PM

Thanks, I have read some articles and now will try doing it.

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 24, 2008, 05:01 AM

I got the "Disk Error Press Any Key to Restart" message today when I tried installing XP onto Boot Camp. Why? It's simply because it's not a genuine Windows XP CD. It really boils down to that.

zooropa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2008, 09:45 PM

Ok I have read everything in this thread, and I've tried all options.
After few hours of trying to make it with Different CDs, Copy of CDs,NTFS fully formated partions etc, none of this worked for me, the ONLY sollution that worked for me - was that 31GB Fat partion which someone here mentioned

IT WORKS heureka.

What I thing but have not prooved yet is, that if windows installer will not show you possibility to format FAT partion
and you can only see NTFS, Convert to NTFS and Let partition stay like it is, - ITS WRONG at than Disk Error message will appear.

So someone pasted here how to format the partition without using Win installer formating. (With that recovery option)
I thing, if this will be possible, than you can have even more space FAT partition and than if you leave it in installer, it will work.
but since 31GB works for me now for first time, I am continuing to install XP

My previous Macbook pro on 2,4Ghz - previous generation - I had there bootcamp 1.4 with Tiger and everything was without problems
But now I am realizing, that I ALSO at that time formated partition to 30GB only.

PS:I have now LEOPARD with new MacBook pro 2.8Ghz 4GB Ram 320 7200RPM harddrive

Good luck and good nervers to you all.

TomBeckman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2008, 06:45 PM

I had the disk error problem. I ran Boot Camp Assistant, deleted the partition, and created a 30GB partition. When I installed Windows XP again, I got the format with FAT32 option. I think that setting the partition to greater that 30GB prevents the Windows Installer from presenting the FAT32 option, as the resultant partition is actually larger than the FAT32 limit.

I used Sysinternals system file defragmentation program, pagedefrg.exe, and found that the Windows paging file was in 94(!) fragments. I ran the program and it took an hour or so to finish running after rebooting. but the page file is now in a contiguous block. Should help with performance.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 25, 2008, 07:32 PM

FAT32 can handle partitions larger than 32GB, but for some reason MS decided to use an old and stupid Win2k formatting tool in the XP installer that CANNOT deal with that size. That's why you won't see the FAT32 option when using the installer to format a partition larger than a bit under 32GB.

slylabs13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2009, 06:08 PM

An Apple guy told me that the trick to this is first, have the Windows Install format the partition using NTFS. Go through the normal process of having the CD put the files on the partition, but THEN when it's time to boot into Windows the first time, INTERCEPT THE BOOT LOADER by holding down the option key, and choose the Windows partition.

Apparently he thinks that Bootcamp is seeing the install CD and it's loading some boot information that is hosing it's ability to properly read the boot sector on the Windows partition. That would explain why some CD's work and some don't. Not all slipstream boot sectors are created equal it seems.

g81182
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2009, 08:05 PM

I used Boot Camp Assistant to partition my drive (20GB) and then installed Vista. I had problems installing the drivers using my Mac OS X CD and when I put it in I was asked to install Leopard on the Windows partition. Now whenever I restart my Mac it boots from Windows automatically. I just erased the partition with Vista and wanted to start fresh but now when I restart it says No Bootable disk to boot from, insert Boot CD and press any key to continue. To start up using Leopard, I have to hold the option key while starting up. What did I do wrong and how do I fix it. Thanks for your help.

Cold Warrior
Feb 9, 2009, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by g81182 View Post
I used Boot Camp Assistant to partition my drive (20GB) and then installed Vista. I had problems installing the drivers using my Mac OS X CD and when I put it in I was asked to install Leopard on the Windows partition. Now whenever I restart my Mac it boots from Windows automatically. I just erased the partition with Vista and wanted to start fresh but now when I restart it says No Bootable disk to boot from, insert Boot CD and press any key to continue. To start up using Leopard, I have to hold the option key while starting up. What did I do wrong and how do I fix it. Thanks for your help.
System Preferences > Startup Disk > choose Leopard/10.5.

g81182
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2009, 08:27 PM

Awesome, thanks. Now why was I unable to install the drivers successfully? I was not able to use the eject CD button or any shortkey Mac functions when running Vista. Also, what is the proper way to remove the Vista partition. I formatted the partition in Disk Utility and then expanded the Mac partition to max. How can it be done using Boot Camp?

Cold Warrior
Feb 9, 2009, 08:44 PM

If you want to dump the Vista partition, start up the Boot Camp Utility and choose the remove option. It will remove the Vista partition by combining it back with your Mac OS X partition.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2009, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'd clean the ever lovin' snot out of that Windows disc before trying anything else with it. Maybe even make a copy of it; if there's a sector that's even slightly less than perfect, the Windows installer could goof up with it (oh, and it doesn't tell you when it has a "small" read error, just when it can't read when it expects to), but a copy is usually very readable. I don't know why that is, but it works!
I just ran into this problem trying to help a friend.

It's pretty safe to say Windows sucks. Why has Apple always managed to produce reliable OS X discs when Microsoft apparently cannot?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2009, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I just ran into this problem trying to help a friend.

It's pretty safe to say Windows sucks. Why has Apple always managed to produce reliable OS X discs when Microsoft apparently cannot?
The 10.5.0 drop-in CPU upgrade was a complete piece of ****.

Quite a few machines with odd problems (menu options missing, weird behavior) that continued even after nuke and pave, but were remedied immediately by re-installing from a newer OS X disk.

robbyrob817
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2009, 07:04 AM

ok so i tried to install windows xp on my macbook and i used a older version of xp that didnt have the sp2 and now i cant get back to my osx at all. its like its stuck in between os's. i cant get back to my mac osx and i cant install windows. i tried to reinstall my leopard 10.5 but its not showing my hardrive in the setup process. im really lost and stuck can any one help???!!!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 8, 2009, 09:01 AM

Robby, take a deep breath. First, boot the MacBook and hold down the Option key when you hear the chime-hold it until you see the boot option screen. If Windows didn't really install, all it will show is your OS X partition, if it did (and even if it didn't really work) it will show both the OS X partition and the Windows partition. You can select these with your trackpad, so select OS X and see if it starts.

If you don't get the boot option screen, then Leopard didn't install correctly for some reason. You can start again and make it work. Insert the Leopard disc and hold down the C while booting-this will force the machine to boot from the optical drive and thus start the Leopard installer.

Yeah, all of this really is a PITA, but Apple does try to make it clear that you CANNOT use any version of XP prior to SP2 with Boot Camp. Now if only every XP disc was clearly labeled as to whether or not it had SP2, things would be all rosy, wouldn't they.

justmetoo
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2009, 01:06 PM

As posted here: http://forums.macnn.com/104/alternat...disk-does-not/ but perhaps of more relevance to the thread here.

I strongly suggest there is a bug on the Apple side within bootcamp 3 that was not there during the beta stage!

I had a miserable time getting a fresh Snowleopard bootcamp3 partition to install XP Pro SP2. The problem was exactly as above, I was never given the blue screen option to format the partition to NTFS, the install would continue, and on reboot would just get that black error screen "Disk Error - Press Any Key" which requires a hard shut down.

I deleted the partition a few times and started over, completely wiped the drive at least 2 times times, and kept banging my head against the wall because I had successfully used that OEM XP Pro SP2 install disc several times before for bootcamp *beta* installs. I had read that others got around this format problem by using a different XP install disc, but that was not an option for me.

SO this is what I did. I still have an old drive with OS 10.4 Tiger and bootcamp beta laying around. I used Superduper to clone it to my new harddrive, set the date back to 2006 (so bootcamp beta would work) and created a partition to install XP. It worked first time, gave me the NTFS format option, the whole bit, next to effortless install...

So, Apple bug in BC 3 that was NOT there in beta...

the_owl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2009, 03:28 PM

Im sitting here in a clients office boot camping her Macbook pro.
Reading this thread. My 45 minute install turned into a 3 hr nightmare.
I brought XP Home OEM, XP Pro OEM SP2, And XP Pro OEM SP3. Same issues as all of the above.

In the end what got the install done was:
31gb partition
start process, reboot.
Didnt even try to do the install, just deleted the 200mb partition, and formatted the partition to fat32 using the windows utility.
FYI all my OEM discs (which are isos I keep at my office, and burn to cdr) had the format AND convert options

hope this helps someone else, as this thread helped me

bigceeone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2009, 06:56 AM

You can solve this really easy, after you got error of no disk hold down the power button to shut down and start your Mac again while holding option key, now choose to boot from windows installer CD, start installation again and in this case you will be able to format your c: boot camp partition to FAT or NTFS file system because windows installer will now see that you have some data on the partition you want to install because of first installation and it will let you to format it. hope this helps.
( Last edited by bigceeone; Dec 15, 2009 at 07:16 AM. )

zenrabbit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2010, 11:05 AM

After hours of getting lost in the vicious cycle of windows setup I solved it.
So these are the steps I took to setup windows SP3 on my iMac 10.5.

1. Open Applications > Utilities > Bootcamp Assistant. Simple steps. Setup partition for windows at 32GB. put the Windows installer CD in and start the installation.
2. The blue windows setup screen will come up and automatically start a really long setup process. Eventually it gives you an option screen of picking which drive to install on. Pick drive C, the one that says [Bootcamp FAT32].
3. Another option screen will come up asking what format you would like. Pick "NTFS(quick)", usually first option. DO NOT pick "leave as is" which is the last option.
4. After it goes through the 100% installation bar it will restart the computer. IMPORTANT: when the computer is still at the white screen at restart hold down the Option key until 3 icons pop up on your screen: Mac, Windows, CD. Pick Windows, and the installation will continue to finish setup correctly. If you don't do anything it will go back through the whole process again. If you go to the mac and go to Windows from there it will give you a disk error. The reason is because it's starting from the mac partition and the installer can't finish installation on the windows portion. Anyway, if you do these steps you should end up in the windows screen with no problem.

NOTE: if you do end up in "Disk Error: Press any key to restart" no key is going to work. So you need to manually shut down the computer and restart then hold down the option key and go to step 4.

good luck

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 6, 2010, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by zenrabbit View Post
4. After it goes through the 100% installation bar it will restart the computer. IMPORTANT: when the computer is still at the white screen at restart hold down the Option key until 3 icons pop up on your screen: Mac, Windows, CD. Pick Windows, and the installation will continue to finish setup correctly. If you don't do anything it will go back through the whole process again.
In my experience, the only reason the Windows installer will "go back through the whole process again" is if you press a key when the screen says "press any key to boot from the CD." Of course nobody bothers to tell the less-experienced that you must leave everything alone when the installer does this reboot. The reboot is built to boot to the newly installed Windows partition, so if you don't touch it the boot will happen correctly-you don't have to manually select the Windows partition.

neutronv6
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2010, 08:06 PM

I'd like to second one of the posts above about making the partition size slightly under 32GB. When I set the partition size at 32GB, WinXP SP2 did not give me an option to format the C: (BOOTCAMP) partition. However, when I selected 31GB as the partition size, it brought up the option referenced on the Mac site under Step 8. Mac OS X 10.5 or later, Boot Camp: Windows XP displays "Disk Error" message during initial setup

Originally Posted by dysturb.net View Post
had the exact same problems as described above...
simple solution: make bootcamp partition slightlz less than 32GB
this gives the option to format it in FAT format using the windows installer.
no problems since....

cheers!

justmetoo
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2010, 02:36 PM

To those who think they "solved" this, setting the partition below 32 GB is not a solution if you want a larger partition in the first place! I'll reiterate, there is a bug in Bootcamp 3 that has hosed OEM disk installs. I feel for that poor sod who tried all those different OEM versions. Glad there is Winclone now...

vertexdisk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2010, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by umop3plsdn View Post
I definately had the same exact problem! However, after i got the disk error I tried rebooting and now i don't have any video or anything. i've tried:
1) Held down "C" and booted up with my leopard install disc in the drive
2) Held down the option button to specify the boot device
3) Removed internal battery and held the power button on for 5 seconds to clear
4) Resetting the PRAM with command, option, p, and r keys pressed
5) Tried a different monitor (off another working computer)
6) Held down the shift key while booting up
7) New video card
8) the smc_reset button

All with no success! All i have is the steady flashing light on the front no patterns just a steady slow flash. I can hear the fans and the hard disk spin up. Anyone else have this problem right after the windows disk error?

I encounter the same error with you. I was installing windows when this happens to me. Now my keyboard was not even responding. it worn't even eject the disk or restart.

I would like to restart to my osx
Anyone can provide me with any advise to this?
Please use simple terms as I'm not a computer expert .....

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 2, 2010, 08:25 AM

vertexdisk, yes you should restart in OS X and there's an easy way to do it. Hold the power button until the computer turns off. Now turn it back on and hold the "Option" (Alt) button down until the screen displays at least your OS X disk (as a picture of a hard drive). Select that disk with mouse or arrow keys and return key. Your machine will now restart in OS X.

As a final step, go to System Preferences and select the "Startup Disk" preferences pane. Choose the OS X disk; this will make OS X the default start up OS.

Good luck and welcome to our forums!

andyx181x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2010, 06:53 PM

Need help guys, I did the same thing in which i choose the wrong partition format which was the leave the current file system intact. I can not boot up into mac os x, i tried the option key, i tried the c key with my restore disc and i'm not getting anywhere. Please i need an immediate responce on how else i can get back into mac os x

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 3, 2010, 07:40 PM

andyx181x, your post (and your PM) don't provide enough information. Please tell us what "I'm not getting anywhere" means. Can you get the computer to boot into the OS X installer disc? If not, tell us exactly how you're going about it. It's probably just a matter of not getting to the Alt/Option key soon enough after the startup chime, but we can't help until you tell us precisely what you have already tried.

ppassehl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2011, 09:22 AM

Hi,
I did an install of bootcamp and now windows xp and I get and disk error press any key to restart.... but I CAN'T it will not do a thing. I have tried everything that I can think of. I can't get the disk drive to eject the cd so that I can use the mac start up disk. I am stuck. Any one please help.

Update: I got my xp disk to eject but now I cant get the mac os to boot up?

I have a Imac form 2006 so it does not have any spot to make the computer eject the disk.
( Last edited by ppassehl; Apr 29, 2011 at 09:33 AM. )

Atomic Taco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The formatting utility in the XP installer is built to go up to 32GB-it's a bit of legacy code from Win2K which someone in Redmond should be fired (from a big canon would be a good way) for using in XP. XP can reside on ANY SIZE disk or partition, but it's brain-damaged installer can't format it larger than 32GB. Dumb, Bill, very dumb.
Thankfully the people who make those decisions are smarter than you. There actually is a reason why the XP installer limits FAT32 partitions to a maximum size of 32GB. A partition larger than 32GB requires 64 KB cluster sizes, and if clusters are 64 KB or larger, some programs (such as Setup programs) may incorrectly calculate disk space. You can read all about it here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules