Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > God, I love dogs ...

God, I love dogs ...
cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2010, 03:54 PM

Hard to find a better friend than a good dog. ;-)

Dogs and sleds - The Big Picture - Boston.com
"Dogsleds are in the news lately, as several races have recently taken place around the Northern Hemisphere, and as transportation choices for both a meeting of the G-7 and the start of the 2010 U.S. census. Mushers brought representatives to Iqaluit, a small village in Nunavut Territory, chosen to host a recent G-7 meeting, in part so Canada could assert sovereignty over its part of the Arctic. The 2010 U.S. Census, as per tradition, kicked off its count on January 25th in a rural part of Alaska in the small village of Noorvik, as census takers arrived by dogsled. And recent dogsled races include Le Grand Odyssee, the Sedivackuv Long, Pirena, the Aviemore Husky Sled Dog Rally and many more smaller regional competitions. Collected here are a handful of recent photos of sleds, dogs, and their humans."
Dogs and sleds - The Big Picture - Boston.com

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2010, 04:13 PM

Nah, turtles win in any category over dogs.

Turtle vs. Dog.

A guy comes walking into a bar with a turtle in his hand. The turtle's one eye is black and blue, two of his legs are bandaged, and his whole shell is taped together with duct tape. The bartender looks at the guy and asks: "What's wrong with your turtle?" "Not a thing," the man responds, this beat up turtle is faster than your dog!" "Not a chance!" replies the barkeep. "Okay then, says the guy. You take your dog and let him stand at one end of the bar. Then go and stand at the other end of the room and call your dog. I'll bet you $500 that before your dog reaches you, my turtle will be there." So the bartender, thinking it's an easy $500, agrees. Bartender goes to the other side of the bar, and on the count of three calls his dog. Suddenly the guy picks up his turtle and throws it across the room, narrowly missing the bartender, and smashing into the wall and shouts - "I win!"

-t

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2010, 04:21 PM

Oh, dogs as pets. My bad.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

cmeisenzahl  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2010, 04:21 PM

LOL! We have a tortoise, too. ;-)

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Nah, turtles win in any category over dogs.
Turtle vs. Dog.
A guy comes walking into a bar with a turtle in his hand. The turtle's one eye is black and blue, two of his legs are bandaged, and his whole shell is taped together with duct tape. The bartender looks at the guy and asks: "What's wrong with your turtle?" "Not a thing," the man responds, this beat up turtle is faster than your dog!" "Not a chance!" replies the barkeep. "Okay then, says the guy. You take your dog and let him stand at one end of the bar. Then go and stand at the other end of the room and call your dog. I'll bet you $500 that before your dog reaches you, my turtle will be there." So the bartender, thinking it's an easy $500, agrees. Bartender goes to the other side of the bar, and on the count of three calls his dog. Suddenly the guy picks up his turtle and throws it across the room, narrowly missing the bartender, and smashing into the wall and shouts - "I win!"

-t

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2010, 04:32 PM

I love dogs too, we should exchange recipes.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2010, 04:34 PM

Nice.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2010, 04:45 PM

I can't stand dogs as pets, but I do enjoy watching the dog sleds.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2010, 05:10 PM

I've always grown up having a boxer. My current boxer is as old as my first one when he died, but he's in very good health.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2010, 07:36 PM

Wow, lots of cool pictures, thanks for sharing!
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I can't stand dogs as pets, but I do enjoy watching the dog sleds.
Somehow that's not surprising to me.

Dogs rule. Turtles are cool, too.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2010, 08:00 PM

I like giraffes.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 8, 2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Somehow that's not surprising to me.
Yeah, anyone who hates dogs is a Liberal Commie Quack.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2010, 04:44 AM

Dogs and only dogs for our family.

Too many people are allergic to cats, birds spit seed everywhere and don't shut up, snakes can potentially kill you and are generally only good at looking evil, fish tanks are way too much work, horses can throw you and break your neck (or do this), and ferrets smell horrible.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2010, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Dogs and only dogs for our family.

Too many people are allergic to cats, birds spit seed everywhere and don't shut up, snakes can potentially kill you and are generally only good at looking evil, fish tanks are way too much work, horses can throw you and break your neck (or do this), and ferrets smell horrible.

Will a pony kick you like that if you try to brand it?

Sealobo
Feb 9, 2010, 09:21 AM

when i was a kid, think i was about 7 or 8, my teacher gave me the responsibility to take care of the class pet - two small turtles. My teacher asked me to use the toothbrush to clean its outer shell from time to time, sort of like giving them a bath.

I was determined to give them the best care possible. So, i gave them a hot bath. I thought it's ok; cuz i thought a bath should be done with hot water. I couldn't remember if they died because of me, but i clearly recall that their shells became kind of soft when i took them out.

disclaimer: they were still moving when i took them out.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2010, 10:17 AM

It's not true that turtles are easy to care for. Don't know about tortoises, but small turtles are not as "tough" as many think.

-t

lexapro
Baninated
Feb 9, 2010, 11:03 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
disclaimer: they were still moving when i took them out.
Turtle murderer.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
...ferrets smell horrible.
And dogs don't? I have never, ever met a dog that didn't stink to high heaven. I think dog owners become desensitized to the smell because they never notice it. It's a very distinct and horrible smell, and it gets on everything.

Also, I don't trust an animal that eats its own crap... or other animal's crap. And vomit. Then roll around in it... then lick people on the face after they do it. *shudder*
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2010, 12:46 PM

And dogs don't? I have never, ever met a dog that didn't stink to high heaven. I think dog owners become desensitized to the smell because they never notice it. It's a very distinct and horrible smell, and it gets on everything.

Also, I don't trust an animal that eats its own crap... or other animal's crap. And vomit. Then roll around in it... then lick people on the face after they do it. *shudder*
The stinkiest dogs of people that I know are never bathed at home, but at a groomer...

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2010, 09:49 PM

Turtles are natures suction cups!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2010, 12:13 AM

Outside dogs? Sure, they stink all the time. No one has ever reacted unpleasantly to my dog at all. She's never even had that typical "dog breath." As far as I know, she's never eaten her own crap or vomit.

But she definitely farts up a storm. The good part of this is that I've been able to blame my own on the dog from time to time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules