Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Sources claim Apple board upset with Cook over lack of innovation

Sources claim Apple board upset with Cook over lack of innovation
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 9, 2013, 03:47 PM

Apple's board of directors is allegedly upset with CEO Tim Cook over a lack of innovative products in recent times, according to sources cited by Fox Business News' Charlie Gasparino. Cook is reportedly safe in his position for now, but the board members are thought to be worried that Apple isn't keeping up with the momentum established under former CEO Steve Jobs. As a result, the board is allegedly putting pressure on Cook.

Serious public criticism of Apple's innovation began around the launch of the iPhone 5. Although the phone has since proven popular enough saleswise, some reviewers pointed out that the phone makes relatively few improvements over the iPhone 4S beyond a larger screen, which even then is still smaller than what flagship Android devices offer. The iPad mini has sold well, but it and the fourth-gen 9.7-inch iPad have lost the once overwhelming dominance Apple had in the tablet market. Even Macs have come under fire, since a recent MacBook Air refresh drastically improved battery life, but only modestly increased performance, and left out the Retina display technology added to the MacBook Pro.

The company could be banking heavily on the iWatch, though to be its next new product category. Past reports have also hinted at a TV set, but rumors about it have once again gone quiet, which could mean that work will only pick up after the iWatch ships.

carloblackmore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2013, 04:11 PM

I can't help but think this article title should be Apple Board Pressure Cook-er.

Leatherropes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2013, 04:50 PM

I assume the Apple Board is not privy to Apple's product development roadmap. One would expect better from its Board. Amateurish attitude.

jfgilbert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2013, 05:06 PM

Idle speculation. Note the absence of any supporting information of evidence. There is no way an outsider, especially working for Fox Business News, would have any information about what Apple Board members may think. The reason for this article is one of two: Either getting easy clicks by dressing up some controversy associated with Apple and Cook, or participating in the months old Apple smear campaign that have given us misleading statements, invented sales numbers, and other blatant lies.
Contrary to the author, I will not speculate about where the campaign originates and who is supporting it by paying bloggers and spreading rumors.

AlohaMacintosh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2013, 05:11 PM

Ohhhh PLEASE DUMP THIS WORTHLESSSS guy. He does NOTHING. People like him will deny a house is on fire until their hair actually catches. TIM COOK...LEAVEEEEEE NOWWWWW.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2013, 06:29 PM

The source for this report is Faux Noise. Nuff said!
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

garmonbosia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2013, 07:23 PM

chas_m:

Then why did you guys publish trash from Fox? Who's at the helm at MacNN?

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2013, 07:40 PM

garmonbosia: MacNN has lots of writers.

We have to pick up on news stories from various places, even when the source is dubious (see: every rumour report, for example, or those stories about Apple's "marketshare" that compare "shipments" rather than end-user sales). We report on what is making news in the Mac and related community, and try to note where possible if we are skeptical about something; but if a "news" outlet reports something and says they have info on it, and its relevant, then we have to make note of it.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Flying Meat
Senior User
Aug 9, 2013, 07:56 PM

But if you look at the web address above, you'll not it is electronista, not macnn.
Regardless, I would however accept a nod to the dubious nature of an article's content in the form of appropriately placed quotes in the title:
"Sources" claim Apple...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2013, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by AlohaMacintosh View Post
Ohhhh PLEASE DUMP THIS WORTHLESSSS guy. He does NOTHING. People like him will deny a house is on fire until their hair actually catches. TIM COOK...LEAVEEEEEE NOWWWWW.

And what do you base this on?

Technological innovation goes through lulls and spurts, it is far from a given that things would be any different if Jobs were still CEO and at his peak. It's not as if a CEO can just pull innovative ideas out of their asses.

garmonbosia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2013, 09:43 PM

Yes Flying Meat, I do understand the relationship between MacNN and Electronista. But if MacNN links to an Electronista article, they own it. They shouldn't lower their journalistic standards because it's outside the safe confines of the mac universe and into the total fantasyland of Fox. BTW, I think I'll change my handle to SomeSay_Jones. :-)

pairof9s
Senior User
Aug 9, 2013, 11:40 PM

Regardless of the perception of Cook's performance, I've yet to see another innovative product come from Apple since Jobs demise.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 9, 2013, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Flying Meat View Post
But if you look at the web address above, you'll not it is electronista, not macnn.
Regardless, I would however accept a nod to the dubious nature of an article's content in the form of appropriately placed quotes in the title:
"Sources" claim Apple...
If an article is on both MacNN and Electronista, then it's got an Electronista URL. No sleight intended to MacNN-only readers, just a convenience for our web guys.

I think it can be assumed that when sources are induced, and they have no names associated, we're skeptical. Unfortunately, well more than half of the sources quoted across the tech news reporting world seem to be correct about things, at least in part.

Laphroaig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2013, 10:09 AM

A lot of people forget what a huge part Tim Cook had in Apple's resurrection. My understanding is his bean counting was largely responsible for only new products on the shelves and simplifying product lines. That being said, last Christmas a client of mine needed a new 27" iMac for their business, actually any 27" iMac. I had to buy used because even the previous model was not available new! As a stockholder I find that to be totally inexcusable.
Apple will release the next great thing only when it is ready and not before. If whatever it is is not "insanely great" for real, then I'd say Cook's days are numbered and he knows it. Cook and Apple cant afford another Maps debacle right now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules