Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Getting back into Mail in OS X after 10 years - my running list of questions

Getting back into Mail in OS X after 10 years - my running list of questions
Ham Sandwich
Oct 4, 2015, 02:59 PM

With my being so obsessive compulsive with manually recording/archiving email, and the need to have an iCloud account just to sync Notes, I've decided that it may be time for me to see if Mail in OS X is the way to manage my emails.

I'm still learning, but I'm also seeing some unusual, inconsistent behavior with loading messages within folders from various servers. Most recently, I am finding that one of my messages is just truncated off the right edge of the screen. Isn't Mail supposed to force a line break for situations such as these?

See screenshot located at:

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

(I included the gray rectangles for privacy concerns.)

Notice that the text runs off the right edge of the screen. This is the first message that I've seen do that. On my work client, the message appears as normal. But in Mail, it looks like this.

But it gets worse. When I try to view this message in Mail, Mail freaks out and starts loading 100% on my CPU. Things get so bad that the GUI starts freaking out (see screenshot) and click responses are delayed by up to 5 seconds:

At about 3:00:25pm, I double-clicked on the message to open it. The message took 10 seconds to appear while my CPU stayed high. The Console showed error messages, and then something crashed.

Here is the Console report: What does this mean?

Code:
10/4/15 3:00:16.461 PM accountsd[294]: invalid nil value for 'sharedInstance' 10/4/15 3:00:16.489 PM com.apple.AddressBook.InternetAccountsBridge[380]: [AOSAccounts] : [__49-[ACAccountStore(iCloudAccount) icaAppleAccounts]_block_invoke] : accountsWithAccountType returned error: Error Domain=com.apple.accounts Code=9 "(null)" 10/4/15 3:00:18.231 PM Console[550]: Failed to connect (_consoleX) outlet from (NSApplication) to (ConsoleX): missing setter or instance variable 10/4/15 3:00:36.493 PM WindowServer[169]: CGXPostReplyMessage: Server reply mach_msg: (ipc/send) invalid port right 10/4/15 3:00:37.504 PM WindowServer[169]: CGXPostReplyMessage: Server reply mach_msg: (ipc/send) invalid port right 10/4/15 3:00:40.736 PM WindowServer[169]: _CGXRemoveWindowFromWindowMovementGroup: window 0x3b is not attached to window 0x3d 10/4/15 3:00:41.636 PM WindowServer[169]: _CGXRemoveWindowFromWindowMovementGroup: window 0x3b is not attached to window 0x3d 10/4/15 3:00:43.419 PM WindowServer[169]: _CGXRemoveWindowFromWindowMovementGroup: window 0x3b is not attached to window 0x3d 10/4/15 3:00:47.436 PM WindowServer[169]: _CGXRemoveWindowFromWindowMovementGroup: window 0x3b is not attached to window 0x3d 10/4/15 3:00:52.373 PM Safari[375]: tcp_connection_tls_session_error_callback_imp 103 __tcp_connection_tls_session_callback_write_block_invoke.434 error 22 10/4/15 3:01:11.000 PM syslogd[44]: ASL Sender Statistics 10/4/15 3:01:44.000 PM kernel[0]: process com.apple.WebKit[547] thread 27318 caught burning CPU! It used more than 50% CPU (Actual recent usage: 99%) over 180 seconds. thread lifetime cpu usage 90.065204 seconds, (61.492783 user, 28.572421 system) ledger info: balance: 90001680914 credit: 90003666019 debit: 1985105 limit: 90000000000 (50%) period: 180000000000 time since last refill (ns): 90323376590 10/4/15 3:01:44.334 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.ReportCrash[552]) Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.ReportCrash 10/4/15 3:01:44.335 PM ReportCrash[552]: Invoking spindump for pid=547 thread=27318 percent_cpu=99 duration=91 because of excessive cpu utilization 10/4/15 3:01:45.563 PM spindump[466]: Saved cpu_resource.diag report for com.apple.WebKit.WebContent version 11601 (11601.1.56)
Due to the 20,000 character limitation of this form and my inability to attach text files to this form, I am unable to show you my crash report.

What is going on?? How do I fix this??
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Oct 5, 2015 at 10:48 AM. )

msuper69
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2015, 11:03 AM

I've seen the line truncation also.
You have to expand the message window farther to the right to see the rest.
It's a bug.

Mail crashing?
Anything unusual/non default about your Mail configuration?

Ham Sandwich
Oct 9, 2015, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
I've seen the line truncation also.
You have to expand the message window farther to the right to see the rest.
It's a bug.
I can't. The line of text (for that one email) just keeps going on and on... it's wider than both sides of the screen with 12pt font.

I don't have the email with me anymore, so more on this later.

Edit: I am now on Week 2 of trying to get Mail to work with my work client. Mail is displaying bizarre, inconsistent behavior when I add/remove accounts; it just started telling me that I cannot recreate a POP account because it already exists, even when I delete it from System Preferences. Also, when I try to re-create the account as IMAP, it used to get past the screen that says "Select the apps you want to use with this account" and tells me Mail and Notes, but now when I get to that screen, the "Done" button, when I click on it, changes to "Next," and the pop-up will not go away until I click "Cancel."

What is going on??
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Oct 9, 2015 at 11:59 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 10, 2015, 06:47 PM

Deleting an account in System Prefs is not always instantaneous, nor is it always quickly global. It takes time for apps that use those prefs to pick up on those changes, and often if they are running when you change prefs, there may be a considerable lag for them to notice the change. I'd quit and then restart Mail when you delete an account and it doesn't seem to be gone - that should help.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ham Sandwich
Oct 16, 2015, 09:14 PM

Well that issue is remedied, the remedy was to look into Google's mail account (our work uses it for SMTP) and set it to allow insecure apps.

But now I'm having issues with Mail on my iPad. Here are the problems:

Why are my IMAP accounts that I created on my Mac not automatically showing up on my iPad? And why are the folders for those accounts also not syncing on my iPad when I do set them up manually on my iPad? And why do new emails sent to one of my IMAP accounts show up on my Mac only but not my iPad?

Can someone help me?

Ham Sandwich
Oct 17, 2015, 10:19 PM

Update: Alright it looks like Mail was able to sync all of my folders to my iPad, it just took forever to download all the IMAP data for whatever reason.

But...

1. On my Mac, I just started getting the following message concerning password security:

What should I do?

2. Also, how come, when I send a reply to some message in my inbox through my work client and I want to move a copy of my reply into one of the folders in that screenshot, how come my reply does not appear in Mail either on my Mac or on my iPad?

Ham Sandwich
Oct 19, 2015, 12:25 PM

How do I show extra specific parts of a raw message?

I tried adding: Resent-Bcc, but Bcc never shows up when I select the message.

The problem is: I can't tell if one of my emails is "To" me or if my email address was added to the sender's "Bcc" field.

So, how do I tell Mail to show me Bcc as needed?

Also, if I go to View > Message > All, then everything shows up, for that one message. Is there a preference that makes show All default?

Ham Sandwich
Jan 9, 2016, 10:05 AM

Also, is there a way to force all messages to show the time (down to the second), rather than down to the minute?

Ham Sandwich
Feb 12, 2016, 01:06 PM

[...one month later...]

So, based on the silence, I'm guessing that Mail simply does not have these features?

Ham Sandwich
May 12, 2016, 11:04 AM

[... 3 months later ...]

Well I had to call IT to learn where these features are since no one here answered my questions:

1. To get Bcc to show, I had to go to View > Bcc Address Field and check that. It won't work if you try to add Resent-Bcc or other Bcc in Preferences > Viewing > Show message > Custom.

2. To show the time of the email down to the second, I ask for Preferences > Viewing > Show message > Custom, and enter Received as a field to be shown. Although this still does not change the timestamp in the corner.

I have a new question: How do I tell Mail to ping my iPod/wake it up as soon as a folder in one of my IMAP accounts receives an email? (Read it carefully: I'm not asking about iCloud email specifically. I'm also not asking about the inbox folder. I'm asking about an email that, because of how I have a SIEVE script written, the email is filed automatically into a custom folder. Can Mail notify me of when this happens?)

ibook_steve
May 12, 2016, 01:50 PM

iPod? I'm assuming you mean iPod Touch. Just enable mail notifications.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Ham Sandwich
May 13, 2016, 09:33 AM

Which setting is that? I have Home Screen > Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data > [the desired account] set to Push. Is that it? Because I just sent myself a test message to that account and it didn't flash anything on my iPod Touch 5.

P
May 16, 2016, 04:55 AM

Push doesn't work for all accounts - it needs to be either iCloud or something supporting Microsoft Exchange protocols. Notably. Google services no longer support this (they did in the past).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Ham Sandwich
May 17, 2016, 09:20 AM

Alright well...

1. What if I have my mail forwarded from my non-iCloud account (it's Fastmail) to iCloud, would the immediate notifications work then?

2. What rules (maybe something like SIEVE) could I put onto my iCloud account to (a) block messages that have certain content in them and (b) forward messages from certain people or organizations into different folders? Because the automatic sorting-into-multiple-folders is what I do with Fastmail.

P
May 18, 2016, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Alright well...

1. What if I have my mail forwarded from my non-iCloud account (it's Fastmail) to iCloud, would the immediate notifications work then?
Yes.

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
2. What rules (maybe something like SIEVE) could I put onto my iCloud account to (a) block messages that have certain content in them and (b) forward messages from certain people or organizations into different folders? Because the automatic sorting-into-multiple-folders is what I do with Fastmail.
Never worked with sorting on the server. You can set up rules in Mail.app to autosort messages.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Curiosity
Senior User
May 24, 2016, 01:34 AM

I have been using Mozilla applications which do have settings to help with wrapping long lines with certain settings. Thunderbird and SeaMonkey can both wrap lines. I rarely have problems with run-on lines in the Message Window. You might want to look into getting either of those applications.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 28, 2016, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Never worked with sorting on the server. You can set up rules in Mail.app to autosort messages.
That takes too long. My Fastmail webmail SIEVE script is nine pages long and has about 200 entries.

I want more control over my incoming mail.

Is there a file in Mail.app or on the server for me to edit to put my own SIEVE script, or write a script myself?

P
Jul 30, 2016, 06:13 PM

Forget about the client, there are solutions to upload scripts to the server without Mail.app. The issue is that the mail server must support your sieve scripts, and I don't see any indication that iCloud does.

Forum Links
Forum Rules