Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > doom 3 for mac announced by apple?

doom 3 for mac announced by apple?
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2004, 06:09 AM

on iMac Design Page (http://www.apple.com/imac/design.html) it says :
...So you�ll be able to play Worlds of Warcraft, Doom III and other fantastic entertainment.

DoeJury
Aug 31, 2004, 06:27 AM

I was just about to post that.

I'm less suprised seeing at as Apple confirming a release - as I am their claim this iMac & GPU will run the game period.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 04:22 PM

aren't they using the 5200 ultra processor in the new imac? the RAM will be an issue but the GPU is about the fastest we have for the mac.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by Truepop:
aren't they using the 5200 ultra processor in the new imac? the RAM will be an issue but the GPU is about the fastest we have for the mac.
What?

ATI Radeon 9800 XT and NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL are both available for the G5 desktops and a whole lot better than the 5200 that you'll find in the latest iMac.

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2004, 04:48 PM

Whoa, you need to do a little reading up on your graphics cards. It is the weakest card in any of the desktop machines aside from the 9200 in the eMac. It is lame, especially by today's terms, and especially in an iMac with only 64MB of VRAM. Doom 3 isn't going to be very fun on even the new iMacs on other than the lowest settings (low res, low textures, etc.).

Still, it's cool to see Apple acknowledged Doom 3. Maybe it'll bump Power Mac sales a little.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Whoa, you need to do a little reading up on your graphics cards. It is the weakest card in any of the desktop machines aside from the 9200 in the eMac. It is lame, especially by today's terms, and especially in an iMac with only 64MB of VRAM. Doom 3 isn't going to be very fun on even the new iMacs on other than the lowest settings (low res, low textures, etc.).
The video chips on year old PowerBooks are better than the Geforce 5200, that's how ridiculous that is. That said, my 1.8GHz G5 only has a 9600 w/64MB... We haven't heard any word on when to expect Doom 3 yet, have we?

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 07:29 PM

Sorry I meant from N'vidia and I didn't realize the 6800 ultra were shipping.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2004, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
The video chips on year old PowerBooks are better than the Geforce 5200, that's how ridiculous that is. That said, my 1.8GHz G5 only has a 9600 w/64MB... We haven't heard any word on when to expect Doom 3 yet, have we?
I hear ya. Here's hoping enough people bitch and complain about the graphics card lineup and Apple gets their **** together big time for rev. B.

No word on when to expect it last I heard. Supposedly it's still being worked on and optimized. At least it's running. I have my bets on early '05, if not for the Christmas holiday this year.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 08:36 PM

Sorry I meant from N'vidia and I didn't realize the 6800 ultra were shipping.
They aren't shipping yet. I've been keeping track, believe me.

Do I sound bitter?
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Do I sound bitter?
Nope. Are you watching so you can get a 30 inch display?

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2004, 09:00 PM

I think maybe Apple put the 5200 in there for heat reasons.... give it a rev or two and maybe they can work it out to use a faster card with more RAM. At least I sure hope so!

If they could get a 128mb vid card in there, the G5 iMac would actually make quite a decent gaming machine!

I'm hoping that in early 2005 we will see an iMac with a decent vid card.
-iMac
(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)

Get Mac Game Mods Here: Macologist.org

a2daj
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by The iMac Man:
I think maybe Apple put the 5200 in there for heat reasons.... give it a rev or two and maybe they can work it out to use a faster card with more RAM. At least I sure hope so!

If they could get a 128mb vid card in there, the G5 iMac would actually make quite a decent gaming machine!

I'm hoping that in early 2005 we will see an iMac with a decent vid card.
If heat were an issue then use the Mobility Radeon 9600 chips. They'll outperform the 5200. But they might be more spendy. So i think it had to do with 1) cost, 2) they can't have an iMac with a faster card than any of the currently shipping PowerMacs.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 09:13 AM

Nope. Are you watching so you can get a 30 inch display?
Yup! And the waiting is killin' me!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Wulfi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2004, 02:10 PM

i was going to say it's pretty misleading to say "...So you�ll be able to play Worlds of Warcraft, Doom III and other fantastic entertainment" but they took that copy out of the ad today.

Forum Links
Forum Rules