Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > compressing individual files

compressing individual files
CreativeSurfer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2004, 07:19 PM

I know Stuffit Standard will allow you to compress many files into one archive file, but is there any software that will allow you to compress individual files?

I teach part time and have scanned in some papers for my students into individual files. These came out to be 7 and 8 Megs each (about 20 pages in each document). I want to shrink each 7 or 8 Meg file down to about 1 to 2 megs. Is there something out there to do this?

Thanks!

cpac
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2004, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by CreativeSurfer:
I know Stuffit Standard will allow you to compress many files into one archive file, but is there any software that will allow you to compress individual files?

I teach part time and have scanned in some papers for my students into individual files. These came out to be 7 and 8 Megs each (about 20 pages in each document). I want to shrink each 7 or 8 Meg file down to about 1 to 2 megs. Is there something out there to do this?

Thanks!
What format are they in? (Stuffit can compress individual files, as can the Finder itself).

But if you've scanned papers, my guess is that they're in .tiff format, in which case, you can massively shrink them just by making them into .pdfs or .jpgs.
cpac

CreativeSurfer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2004, 07:49 PM

they are .pdf files

CreativeSurfer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2004, 08:00 PM

perhaps a better way to ask this is can I compress a pdf file and have it remain a pdf file with any software out there?

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2004, 08:13 PM

perhaps a better way to ask this is can I compress a pdf file and have it remain a pdf file with any software out there?
I use PdfCompress.

In your case, though, I would recommend that you also look into getting OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software.

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2004, 09:40 PM

I thought I should mention that Adobe Acrobat's Paper Capture Online feature uses OCR to convert image files into text pdf's.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2004, 09:50 PM

Please please please do NOT hand out images of text to your students. I absolutely hate that. Even 1 or 2mb is way too much for a bunch of text. Do it right with OCR.

CreativeSurfer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2004, 10:16 PM

PDFCompress really didn't compress them by much (not even a half megabyte). The Adobe Paper Capture seems to be available only as a plug in for Acrobat 5.0 and I have 6.0. When I scanned the images at a relative's house they were converted automatically (via the scanning software - its an HP scanner) into a PDF file (so they aren't image files, or at least shouldn't be), I was just shocked that a 17 page pdf is 10 Meg. This never happened before when I scanned into PDF at a grad school I attended a few years ago. I don't want to give large files either, but apparantly I have no choice at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2004, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
Please please please do NOT hand out images of text to your students. I absolutely hate that. Even 1 or 2mb is way too much for a bunch of text. Do it right with OCR.
I can't agree more. My GF downloads 3-4MB PDF files only to find that they are simply BIG scans of some tiny little one page article.

The whole thing could have been done for 1/50th of that size.

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2004, 11:14 PM

When I scanned the images at a relative's house they were converted automatically (via the scanning software - its an HP scanner) into a PDF file (so they aren't image files, or at least shouldn't be), I was just shocked that a 17 page pdf is 10 Meg.
PDF's can contain images, and I suspect that each of your "pages" is in fact a huge image file and not an editable text file. If you can't select any of the text in your file, then it's an image (even if your file has a .pdf suffix).

CreativeSurfer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2004, 05:36 AM

I know I selected the option to have it scanned as editable text, but perhaps its outdated software or something.

Forum Links
Forum Rules