Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > TV Serieseseseses

TV Serieseseseses (Page 12)
Thorzdad
Jan 16, 2023, 08:14 AM

Having read, and loved, the book, I had great hopes for Altered Carbon, but I ended up bailing on it, due to the violence.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 16, 2023, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
before you cancel Hulu, check out Over the Garden Wall. PG enough for younger kids, with a quirky fatalistic attitude and great music that appeals to my teen, enough that her halloween costume was based on it.
I keep forgetting to thank you for the recommendation. We watched the whole series over a week or two, and both kids adored it. *And that's a rock fact*

My son started quoting it during parent-teacher conferences and the teacher mentioned that she and her husband went to a friend's OtGW-themed wedding dressed as Wirt and Greg.

My son wants me to find another show like it, and I'm like...I'm not sure that another show like it exists. Maybe we'll try getting into Adventure Time.

andi*pandi
Jan 16, 2023, 02:48 PM

That's awesome! glad they both liked it. As for other stuff, well you are right. It's got that old-timey unique style...

But other quirky shows the kid liked were Owl House and Amphibia. Maybe before adventure time try Gravity Falls? That was a hit with both my kids when younger, enough that a rewatch has been mentioned. I keep angling for a Kim Possible rewatch...

reader50
Administrator
Jan 18, 2023, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I’ve been hate-watching The Peripheral on Prime. I say “hate watching” because the show, while quite good, seriously departed from events in the book to where it really isn’t the same story. But, if you never read the book, you’ll probably find it a good watch.
I haven't read the books, and recently finished The Peripheral.

You were right Thorz, I quite enjoyed the story. Interesting worlds to play in. Have not heard if Amazon has picked up a 2nd season.

note: it's easy to miss, but there is a mid-credits scene in ep #8. The credits were so long, I'd been skipping them.

Thorzdad
Jan 18, 2023, 08:30 AM

It looks like there is a second series in the works for The Peripheral. I can’t imagine there wouldn’t be, considering the mid-credits scene you point-out. I’m betting that was added at the last minute once they got the go-ahead to do a second series.

I’d be interested in hearing what you thought about the book, reader. I read almost everything Gibson wrote, way back in the day, but Peripheral was the first thing of his I’d read in several years. I really liked it.

I was so hoping to see the event that triggers the whole mess depicted in the show, but its omission was the first (and probably biggest) signal that the show isn’t going to be the book. Once I got over that, though, I mostly liked the show. Mostly. There’s still a bunch of stupid (compared to the book) in it, though.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 18, 2023, 09:47 AM

We picked up Reservation Dogs on Hulu and have been enjoying it. A little weird, a little out there, and funny in a situational way, not an outright haha way. Co-created by Taika Waititi, so if you like his stuff it would probably translate.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2023, 11:31 PM

Great call, both seasons of Reservation Dogs were fantastic. But definitely not for everyone.

I’d say the same thing about Atlanta! Both should be watched.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

dav
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2023, 09:56 AM

Maybe before adventure time try Gravity Falls?
I was going to recommend Gravity Falls as well, excellent series.
one post closer to five stars

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2023, 10:21 AM

But other quirky shows the kid liked were Owl House and Amphibia. Maybe before adventure time try Gravity Falls?
Watched two episodes of Gravity Falls last night, big hit.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Jan 20, 2023, 08:30 PM

So.... we not going to mention Last of Us? Cuz dang.

Still don't agree on the actress playing Ellie, and it's not because I'm incel who needs an 'attractive 12yr old'. I just don't see anyone other than Lady Mormont. I wish they had used an actress that looked remotely like the character in the game, or at the very least copied her hair style. Seems weird to pick someone totally different, change their hair completely, and have it be a super memorable unique looking person from another show. Like... why?

But still. Show is fire so far.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2023, 12:31 PM

Didn’t play the game, so it’s not grabbing me.

Finished Wednesday. It was… okay. Writing stayed weak. Fred Armisen sucked.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 29, 2023, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Fred Armisen sucked.
I liked him as Uncle Fester. But I've never seen him in anything before - checked his record to be sure. Maybe you're carrying over an impression from somewhere else?

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2023, 02:46 PM

You need to watch Portlandia. He’s great in that.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2023, 03:30 PM

That I’ve seen, and thought he was hilarious. Likewise, I thought he was excellent in The Little Hours, which is not as crap.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2023, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I liked him as Uncle Fester. But I've never seen him in anything before - checked his record to be sure. Maybe you're carrying over an impression from somewhere else?
What bothered me about him is there wasn’t one single moment where I got the impression he was feeling the words come out of his mouth.

Edit: I also liked his Obama. He got the cadence right, which is the key to pulling it off.
( Last edited by subego; Jan 29, 2023 at 05:28 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2023, 05:29 PM

Didn’t play the game, so it’s not grabbing me.

Finished Wednesday. It was… okay. Writing stayed weak. Fred Armisen sucked.
It’s really good after three episodes. Third one was really interesting, kind of felt like a bottle episode in many ways but it built out the world nicely. I’ve never played the game either and have zero context, but so far it’s like 28 Days Later meets Walking Dead and, maybe, Children of Men?

That’s higher praise than I mean to give after three episodes, and there’s still lots of ways for it to go sideways. But a great first three episodes and obviously well made.

Still pushing the Happy Valley train over here for season 3. Happy Valley!!! Needs more love.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2023, 01:08 PM

Well, the other reason is I’m kinda sick of zombies. Still consider the original Dawn of the Dead to be peak zombie, with an honorable mention to The Cranberries.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2023, 12:32 PM

What bothered me about him is there wasn’t one single moment where I got the impression he was feeling the words come out of his mouth.

Edit: I also liked his Obama. He got the cadence right, which is the key to pulling it off.
Have you seen his video of every North American accent?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G72tZdjnS2A

andi*pandi
Feb 1, 2023, 01:05 PM

I thought Fred's Fester was a callback to the 60s show of a more friendly psychopath, as opposed to Christopher Lloyds unhinged OTT (which was also fun but less subtle). It's more shocking when someone who looks pleasant does something disturbing.

andi*pandi
Feb 1, 2023, 01:12 PM

Fred's Maine accent is ... not it. And he skipped NH entirely, lol.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2023, 11:30 AM

Three episodes into Severance. First two were brilliant. Third was a little slow, but definitely not bad.

andi*pandi
Feb 10, 2023, 02:03 PM

It gets there.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2023, 03:36 PM

Curiously, the person who recommended it to me said the first 20 minutes of the first episode was a slog. No idea what he was talking about.

Also, the lead is perfectly cast.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2023, 10:55 AM

Finished Severance.

So, don’t get me wrong, the show is very good, but it peaked in the middle. Also, as good as it is, I don’t trust them to stick the landing. I’ve been down this path too many times before.

As an aside, I’m impressed they were able to find an actor who looks like Jeffery Epstein and one who looks like Ghislaine Maxwell.

Started Yellowjackets. I began to enjoy it once they started dying. Juliette Lewis looks like Vietnam.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2023, 04:15 PM

Curiously, the person who recommended it to me said the first 20 minutes of the first episode was a slog. No idea what he was talking about.

Also, the lead is perfectly cast.
The first twenty minutes completely floored me.

Actually, the very first opening image already had me in the pocket.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2023, 04:42 PM

Shrinking is pretty good.

I love that it's actually a pretty serious show, and for all the lightheartedness, it never forgets that.

Also, Harrison Ford. ❤️

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2023, 01:43 AM

Finished the first season of Yellowjackets. I ultimately kinda liked it. Flawed, but the 8 main actresses are all really good.

andi*pandi
Feb 13, 2023, 04:58 PM

Shrinking made me sad.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2023, 02:36 PM

Started TLoU. Not bad. Joel, Tess, and Ellie are good. I’m preferential to nuclear apocalypses over zombie ones, but it’s similar enough for me to enjoy it.

Found the Ron Swanson episode to be kinda dull.

andi*pandi
Feb 14, 2023, 02:59 PM

HBO got you.

Maybe after I stop Apple TV again, and hulu, I'll spring for HBO.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2023, 03:52 PM

I’ve kinda let my subscriptions go crazy recently because I don’t have cable, and I’ve got a friend over for an extended stay.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Feb 17, 2023, 12:32 PM

Started TLoU. Not bad. Joel, Tess, and Ellie are good. I’m preferential to nuclear apocalypses over zombie ones, but it’s similar enough for me to enjoy it.

Found the Ron Swanson episode to be kinda dull.
Bigot!!!! Fascist!!!!

Seriously you're not allowed to be critical of a >checks notes< "entire episode dedicated to a side character that had zero impact on the overall story or main characters" because gay.

So dumb. If it was a straight couple, it'd still have been an incredibly stupid episode. Neither character mattered.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2023, 12:50 PM

The people that think they're parroting left-wing reactions are far more obnoxious and extreme than any real left-wing reaction I've ever seen. It just lets me know who's lapping up all of the culture war talking points the media is putting out there.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Feb 17, 2023, 02:54 PM

Eh, go scope the comments in the episode thread on reddit. Anyone who was remotely critical of the episode, no matter how eloquently and respectfully they wrote it, were downvoted into oblivion by idiots calling them bigots.

I get that history was not kind to LBGT people, but there's also such as thing as an overcorrection, in this case being that any critical take of it is somehow hateful because the characters were gay. That episode was trash. Unimportant side characters, super well done, beautifully shot, emotional, trash. It didn't move the story along at all.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2023, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNFamous View Post
Eh, go scope the comments in the episode thread on reddit. Anyone who was remotely critical of the episode, no matter how eloquently and respectfully they wrote it, were downvoted into oblivion by idiots calling them bigots.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Thelastofus...=controversial

The most heavily downvoted comments in those threads are at -3 and -4, what am I missing? Are these the wrong episodes?

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2023, 05:11 PM

Yes. It’s episode 3.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 17, 2023, 06:56 PM

I've finished the Willow series. There may be future seasons, but nothing announced yet.

I liked it. If you liked the 1988 movie, you'll like the series. They put a lot of work into continuity and achieving a similar feel to the world.

The series can be viewed on its own, but you'll get far more out of it by watching the movie first.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2023, 07:49 PM

Never seen it. Odd considering I’m a D&D nerd.

I vaguely recall getting the feeling from trailers it clashed too much with what 16-year-old me thought medieval European fantasy should be like.

andi*pandi
Feb 17, 2023, 08:32 PM

I remember loving Willow the movie.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2023, 10:26 AM

Started Poker Face. Did I mention I’m going subscription crazy?

Actually pretty good two episodes in. The pilot was excellent. Written and directed by Rian Johnson, who knows his way around a murder mystery. I’ve never seen Natasha Lyonne before, and she’s a lot of fun. Two thumbs up for her big hair.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2023, 01:04 PM

Yes. It’s episode 3.
I guess someone is going to have to point me to the "downvoted to oblivion."

The most controversial replies are at -16 and... +6?

"It felt like a filler episode"

"That's okay, it's world-building."

Seemed to be the entire gist of the conversation. What am I missing?

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2023, 02:01 PM

If I understand the Reddit algorithm correctly, “controversial” isn’t going to be what gets downvoted the most, it’s what has the highest incidence of both upvotes and downvotes.

What you want to sort by is “bottom”, which is available on unddit (and also gives you deleted comments).

https://www.unddit.com/r/Thelastofus...x03_long_long/

[I don’t really have any commentary, just passing along research info]

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2023, 02:34 PM

If I understand the Reddit algorithm correctly, “controversial” isn’t going to be what gets downvoted the most, it’s what has the highest incidence of both upvotes and downvotes.

What you want to sort by is “bottom”, which is available on unddit (and also gives you deleted comments).

https://www.unddit.com/r/Thelastofus...x03_long_long/

[I don’t really have any commentary, just passing along research info]
Thanks for the resource - I see some of the more downvoted comments (and I actually found the word bigot!). It was fun to poke through the profiles of the totally normal, sane, rational people complaining about the episode and find people like this guy, who spends all of his time complaining about woke video games, following Canadian hockey, conspiracy theories, and AskThe_Donald.

It's funny to watch Rob try and rag on anti-maskers, because he ends up agreeing with them on basically every other issue.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Feb 20, 2023, 04:40 PM

K well that link just proves my point. Can't say anything critical about that episode without being downvoted.

All the other episodes have been pretty amazing, because they were like... you know.... about the main story/main characters from the video game that the show is about.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2023, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNFamous View Post
K well that link just proves my point. Can't say anything critical about that episode without being downvoted.
Lots of critical discussion that was handled pleasantly and with respect from both sides of the argument.

Several people who expressed their distaste for the episode in rude or aggressive ways met feedback of a similar tone.

But you've never been able to figure out that people don't really find a lot of what you said to be disagreeable, they just can't stand the tactlessness with which you say it. It's easy for you to play the victim while being wholly unable to recognize why you continue to find trouble in every single online place you try and contribute. Clearly, the problem is the idiots and wimps in charge just power-tripping and not liking actual personality.

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Feb 20, 2023, 06:30 PM

Apparently I'm the only one that hated this episode. A boring love story that seems to have nothing to do with the main story. -18pts

How did this episode contribute to the story? No hate, just struggling to see the point. Especially since bill and frank are dead now.. it was a really good backstory to Bills character but why have him die too? Frank could have died and it could’ve shown Bill doing a 180 on everything he believed after meeting him or something. Seems like all there is to take away from this is that there’s some people in this world who aren’t shitty and also Joel has a car now. -18pts

It derived so much from the story and i didnt want to see it sadly. The story was good but it wasnt a brutal bill i wanted to see. It was a good character but i wanted a brutal cold bill with some exploration. This wasnt it and it felt bad. -17pts

You can say what you want but that episode was a waste of time -17pts

Good episode but the weakest so far -17pts

Weird that so many of y'all were into it. The episode was like a completely different genre of TV and because we won't see the characters again (probably) it kind of felt like filler. The concept of showing loneliness yet hope and purpose through relationships is really good. It should have been a 15 minute or so story though. -16pts

Am I the only one who found this episode to be boring and pointless?

Like I get it, it's a slice of life about two people who found love at the end of the world

But how did it impact the overall plot?

Joel and Ellie got a truck?

And it took us 50 minutes of pointless story to get there.

Worst episode of the season so far for me.

Hopefully ep 4 has some action in it -16pts

Please show me one critical comment that was widely upvoted. I'll wait.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2023, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by +6
Well, I didn't expect that much backstory on Bill and Frank. I don't necessarily care that they did it that much, but I think sticking to the game plotline for this would have been better.

I feel as though totally skipping the school section, creeping through backyards/houses, getting your first experience with a bloater, the dialogue of Ellie and Bill, finding Frank and just the shock of it and that he had been bitten would have been a bit more entertaining personally.

Kind of felt like a filler episode.
Originally Posted by +37
I'm gonna post this here too because I'm open for discussion: This was well-done and all, but I can't help but feel like it was obviously written and shot as an episode to submit for awards. Don't get me wrong, the performances were great, but that was 40-50 minutes of backstory on a character that's only going to be around for an extremely small (10-15 mins) portion of the story. I don't know how I feel about that in a 9 episode series.
Originally Posted by +16
Honestly the story was wholesome and sad but I just can't see how it served any purpose to the main plot. I'm open to hearing a good argument to that but if Bill is just going to be dead anyway then why have a whole episode dedicated to his backstory? If a whole episode is dedicated to somebody's backstory you'd expect that person to play a big role in the plot. But no, anybody can literally skip to the part of the episode where Joel and Ellie get to bill's house and not miss anything essential to the story. The time spent on the backstory of bill could've been used to build Joel and Ellie's relationship, something that is much more important imo.
Originally Posted by +5
Very surprised at all the praise. While I understand minor changes need to be implemented, they completely changed Frank and Bill’s relationship. While they were adorable together in the show, that’s not how we are shown them when Joel and Ellie reconnect with Bill. Frank is resentful and hateful. Bill doubledowns with his fear of outsiders. While I completely understand their new lesson to teach in the show is love and compassion are possible and you can die happy in this world, that was not their original lesson. I really didn’t like these changes personally, they fully changed who Bill is and who Bill is at his end. They are introduced and die in the same episode and their only purpose to Joel’s story is this note. While impactful, less impactful to me if we actually got to see more Joel and Ellie interactions with Bill and even Frank if they wanted him alive in the show.
Again - you haven't figured this out yet after several decades online but tone matters and it's possible to express an emotion without eliciting negative reactions from the people reading your comments.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2023, 08:11 PM

I’m on the third season of What We Do in the Shadows, which is on Hulu.

It’s a reality TV show, but the subjects are vampires. Gags are hit and miss, but it’s well cast, and has the occasional power guest star (e.g. Tilda Swinton). Matt Berry’s voice is exceptional.

andi*pandi
Feb 24, 2023, 10:26 PM

I thought it would be totally up my alley, but there is a level of cringe to the humor that I just couldn't get into.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2023, 10:18 AM

How much did you get through?

About halfway through the first season it becomes more worthwhile as the actors get a feel for their characters, and a plot gets introduced. Now, it never stops being vulgar, juvenile, and stupid, but I went from being resigned to watch it to enjoying myself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules