Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Song Keys and Years of Release?

Song Keys and Years of Release?
B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2005, 07:32 AM

Hello all,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any good sites which have a database or anything of what keys songs are in, or what year they are released. The only one I've really found in Gracenote, but that requires going through quite a few pages for each song, and that's just year released.

Anyone know of anything? :O

Thanks!
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

voyageur
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2005, 08:43 AM

For year of release, there's http://www.allmusic.com/. I don't think it gives the key, though.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2005, 09:00 AM

Do a Google for "guitar tabs", and you will find sites that list chords for a great many songs.

Note, however, that nearly all of them are submitted by readers, most of whom have absolutely no background in composition, which means that anything more complex than a major 7 chord is probably going to be ignored or misinterpreted in the write-up.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 18, 2005, 09:44 AM

Yeah tabs are often VERY OFF from what the notes really are.

And if you politely email any of these sites to inform them, they will get pissy and tell you that you have no idea what you are talking about.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2005, 10:14 AM

Tab sites will generally give you a starting point on where to start, it'll maybe have 3 of the 4 chords correct, albeit fingered correctly. As previously mentioned most people who contribute to tab sites do not have any real musical composition or theory background, and thus it listing the key is very rare. You can usually figure it out from the chords, but if you aren't very musical then i can't think of anywhere that can help.

In terms of year, www.allmusic.com can help you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules