Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > InDesign Needs 'Rotate Canvas' like Photoshop has

View Poll Results: InDesign needs 'Rotate Canvas' just like Photoshop has.?.
Poll Options:
Yes that is an EXCELENT idea! Lets go eMail Adobe! 2 votes (20.00%)
Eh I guess, makes no difference to me really. 3 votes (30.00%)
Thats a sh�tty idea, l008com's a damn fool! 5 votes (50.00%)
If you still use Quark running system 7.5.3 becuase Quark is the best, check this option. 0 votes (0%)
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll
InDesign Needs 'Rotate Canvas' like Photoshop has
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2002, 02:53 AM

Designing things like brochures that are all over the place, rotating the canvas would be a great feature, I think anyway. Who's with me?

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2002, 11:05 AM

though option 3's wording is a bit strong, I don't think so, If I'm designing a brochure, I *know* how big a page size it is, and I generally work out the design for something thats multiple pages, before I start designing it, if the client decides to change the page orientation, halfway through, the design'll probably change, big time.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2002, 06:51 PM

No no you gravely misunderstand! The purpose of the rotate canvas is not that you might decide that your project needs to be turned on its side half way through. The purpose of the rotate canvas is just that, to rotate the canvas itself, so you can work on your project from a different angle, then turn it back when its done. For instance I'm working on a trifold, and the mailing panel is upside down and the panel above and below it are right side up, so a rotate canvas of 180� would make anything i was working on right side up when i was working on it. My wording was poor but you get it right?

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2002, 07:38 PM

ahhhh I get it. But why not design right side up and just group and rotate 180 afterwards?

rotate canvas = 3 steps:

1 rotate
2 design
3 rotate

no rotate canvas = 2 steps:

1 design
2 rotate

but upon clarification, I guess I change my vote to neutral

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2002, 07:45 PM

because if you rotate the canvas you can design exactly where things go on the canvas, otherwise, you have to draw things in space, then group them and try to align them up perfect after you've rotated the objects.

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2002, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by l008com:
because if you rotate the canvas you can design exactly where things go on the canvas, otherwise, you have to draw things in space, then group them and try to align them up perfect after you've rotated the objects.
If you've planned the design properly, this should be no problem. With guides and set margins, it really should be a no brainer.

cgmpowers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2006, 08:41 PM

I'd like to second and third the need for Adobe to insert some kind of 'rotate canvas' or 'rotate artboard'. It would be a lot easier and quicker to rotate the entire artboard to see your layout from the the other direction instead of having to try to see it upside down or worse yet, work on it upside down..

Photoshop has it...so should inDesign.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2006, 04:44 PM

get a rotating monitor
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

andi*pandi
Mar 31, 2006, 11:43 AM

Godzookie's solution works for about 95% of work that I do... no problem. However, we have one 80pg book that most of the pages layout has to be sideways to accommodate prepress... each year the designer gets a crick from turning their head sideways to work on it.

no rotating monitors here.

chirpy22
Mar 31, 2006, 07:37 PM

I think it would be nice to have this feature, but what I think would be even better is to be able to create a document with different page sizes. For instance, when designing an identity package, to have a biz card sized page, letterhead, and envelope all in one document.
Or a brochure that contains step-sheets.

I also think the Photoshop needs an update in the rotation feature. We should be able to rotate a page without typing in numbers. Has anyone used Painter? You can rotate the page however you want to be able to draw on it, just as you would a real piece of paper on a table. It's awesome.
Actually, Illustrator could use this too.
( Last edited by chirpy22; Apr 1, 2006 at 02:04 AM. )

Dru383
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2006, 10:32 PM

i agree with chirpy that it is actually photoshop that needs an update for its rotate tool

Forum Links
Forum Rules