Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Which video card to get with my G5

Which video card to get with my G5
Back-to-Mac
Oct 14, 2003, 12:14 PM

Of a choice of .....
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Which video card is the best one to go for? I play the odd game but will buying more games soon.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 01:03 PM

If you're a gamer and can afford it - 9800. If you're a gamer but cannot afford it - 9600. If you're no gamer at all - GeForce FX
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

fishguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2003, 01:05 PM

I am interested in this question as well. What is best suited for video and photoshop work?

thanks

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 01:08 PM

Video and Photoshop work? Well since none of this is 3D stuff, the FX 5200 will be fast enough. You will not notice a difference at all by putting in a faster 3D video card like the 9600 or 9800.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2003, 01:10 PM

For playing 3D games at all I'd probably stay away from the nvidia card - very low-end. If all you do are office-type apps and 2D work, it should probably be fine.

As for the other two, unless you're a hardcore gamer, the Radeon 9600 is more than adequate. There are great benchmarks available on xlr8yourmac.com. Barefeats.com has some as well.

If you want top performance in games, and are willing to pay $300 for it, then go ahead and get the 9800. One caveat, though. At the moment, the Apple/OEM 9800 does not have any FSAA support in the Radeon control panel designed for the retail card. The retail Radeon 9800 has better driver support. While this may change at some point, it's something to be aware of.

I've got a dual 2.0 with the Radeon 9600. I play an occasional game of RtCW and UT2K3, and the 9600 does a fine job at 1280x1024 with all the eye candy turned on.

Personally, I bought the 9600 and spent the $300 on more RAM and a 4-port PCI USB 2.0 card.

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2003, 01:43 AM

I got the 9800 Pro with mine. Unreal 2k3, high res widescreen (1280x768), antiosopic filtering and FSAA 2x, and it runs flawlessly at some ridiculously high frame rate. Never bothered to measure, all I know is it's gorgeous.
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by JustinD:
I got the 9800 Pro with mine. Unreal 2k3, high res widescreen (1280x768), antiosopic filtering and FSAA 2x, and it runs flawlessly at some ridiculously high frame rate. Never bothered to measure, all I know is it's gorgeous.

The 9800 pro gives nice overhead--and shouldn't hurt resale value down the road-which I always would consider. Enjoy!
"Sometimes you're the bug....Sometimes the windshield"

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2003, 11:47 AM

Buy the standard config with the Nvidia FX 5200, then buy the 'Retail' 9800 Pro from Buy.com ($350) so you can enjoy the benefits of opengl overrides and versavision. It has VGA and DVI connectors but no ADC.

When you sell your G5, sell it with the Nvidia card and sell the 9800 separately or carry it over to your new machine.
( Last edited by rhogue islander; Oct 16, 2003 at 04:16 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules