Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Radeon X800 for Mac

Radeon X800 for Mac
Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 06:33 PM

http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/10/14/ati/index.php

Looks like ATI has confirmed that the Radeon X800 for Mac is coming. Probably will be AGP 8x Pro for the G5.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

a2daj
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/10/14/ati/index.php

Looks like ATI has confirmed that the Radeon X800 for Mac is coming. Probably will be AGP 8x Pro for the G5.
Damn! I was hoping for a NuBus card for the 6100...

pwharff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2004, 12:50 AM

I want this card real bad!!! Isn't it suppose to be PCI-X, hence x800? Or can it be AGP also?

Actually this card will work perfect for what I need. I have a Dual 2.0 G5 with the older 23 inch cinema display and I must say that I'm not very impressed with my GeForce FX 5200 that came with my system.

So here was my dilema before the announcement of the X800:

I wanted something as powerful as the 6800 but with an ADC connector to drive my OLD 23 inch.

Now I can with the X800. BTW, I've owned Nvidia cards in my previously owned Macs and never had a problem. Any problems or reasons why I shouldn't go ATI or Nvidia?

Oh yeah, also: Any ideas or predictions on when this might be available?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2004, 01:38 AM

ATI make great cards. And the X800 is the 6800 competition�they're more or less equals, so you should be good.

Anyway, about the news: yummy. ADC and DVI. Looks like my ADC CRT may have some life yet when I upgrade to a G5. Whoot!

rbarris
Blizzard Staff
Oct 15, 2004, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by pwharff:
I wanted something as powerful as the 6800 but with an ADC connector to drive my OLD 23 inch.
I think Apple sells a $99 box that can take a DVI input and supply a powered ADC output.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2004, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by rbarris:
I think Apple sells a $99 box that can take a DVI input and supply a powered ADC output.
Yep, the DVIator. Keep in mind, though, this is only for LCD ADC monitors, as the signal is digital. Those who got stiffed (like me ) with the ADC CRT cannot use the DVIator. Won't work, since the CRT signal is analog.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2004, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by pwharff:
I want this card real bad!!! Isn't it suppose to be PCI-X, hence x800? Or can it be AGP also?
I think you mean PCI-Express. PCI Express is different from PCI-X - search the PowerMac forum, we've explained it there a couple of times.

The card will most likely be available in an AGP 8x Pro version as there are no Macs that have PCI-Express. As well the PC card has AGP and PCI-Express versions. The market right now is for AGP cards as most computers - PC and Mac alike - use AGP.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

pwharff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2004, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by rbarris:
Yes they do and I have looked into that. But I don't feel like spending 600 bucks for the card and then another hundred to get what I want and still have one useless slot. I'd rather wait and get everything for about 500 bucks (that's what I'm guessing the card will go for).

Also, do you think the card will be the x800 Pro or the x800 XT?

Jansar
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2004, 11:17 PM

I have an extra PC X800 card that I'm hoping I can flash over to my G4 PowerMac.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Forum Links
Forum Rules