Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Assassin's Creed II

Assassin's Creed II
Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2009, 04:40 PM

Did we have a thread for Assassin's Creed II? I couldn't find it.

Assassin's Creed II is looking very good. They've added some improvements since the first Assassin's Creed. Dual hidden blades, spears, axes, hammers, etc. Different types of enemies react in different ways.

I think I may pre-order it and put it on the shelf until I finish Halo ODST or Wolfenstein. I also want to play Modern Warfare 2.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2009, 04:42 PM

I never played the first, even though on paper it seems like exactly the kind of game I'd like. I even watched a friend play for 30 min. Nothin'.

Maybe the sequel will garner my interest. As much as most people loved the original, I heard the complaint that it was repetitive repeatedly.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2009, 05:12 PM

I really enjoyed the first one. Although I agree with most that it was repetitive. The movies I've seen thus far for 2 suggest that they've addressed this issue. Many more weapon options, lots more combat moves, you learn combat moves from various characters as well as on your own, you get to purchase armor, etc. And of course the graphics get beefed up, the story seems more engrossing (you follow your character over many years of his life).

I will get this right away, since I really liked the original. So there are 3 games on my list for November - Assassin's Creed 2, Modern Warfare 2, and Left for Dead 2. There goes about $150.

Cold Warrior
Oct 26, 2009, 06:38 PM

AC was a little repetitive but still very enjoyable. I'm excited about AC2.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Assassin's Creed 2, Modern Warfare 2, and Left for Dead 2
I'm sensing a pattern here...

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2009, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yes, I seem to be a sucker for sequels. I'm the game industries perfect consumer I guess. Damn.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I really enjoyed the first one. Although I agree with most that it was repetitive. The movies I've seen thus far for 2 suggest that they've addressed this issue. Many more weapon options, lots more combat moves, you learn combat moves from various characters as well as on your own, you get to purchase armor, etc.
But are any of these things you actually have a reason to use? One of the first game's biggest failings was that assassination was ridiculously overpowered. Surrounded by 10 guards? Throw one down, assassinate, thrown the second down, assassinate, repeat until all are dead and you haven't taken any damage at all because you can't be hurt while attacking with your knife. It took the sense of strategy out of the combat because the only way to get a challenge was to intentionally gimp yourself with your styrofoam sword.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2009, 09:12 PM

It's not supposed to be as easy now - which actually had me worried until I realized there are usually difficulty levels. As well certain guards are big brute types (hard to kill), certain guards are chasers, they're fast and they'll chase after you. As well it's supposed to be harder to kill groups. Combat is supposed to be more realistic. Ie. it takes a few shoves to put a spear through a guy.

The videos look good. But as always, it's hard to tell what it's all like till you play it.
MacBook Pro

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2009, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You forgot Bioshock 2
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
You forgot Bioshock 2
You mean he forgot BioShock 2?

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2009, 03:48 PM

No love for Bad Company 2? Mass Effect 2? StarCraft II?

Or is hitting the 2010 market too soon?

Anyways, I'm thoroughly excited about Assassin's Creed II, even if the PC version has been delayed to 2010. It's the life of any PC gamer, and I'm more than used to it.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2009, 02:00 PM

Bogues Assassin's Creed II Review:

Yes please

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2009, 05:44 AM

Chuck's AC2 review: Fun so far, and they've balanced combat a little better and improved sneaking. The enemies can now attack while you're throwing people, which fixes my complaint about how overpowered assassination was. It also feels like they've got the timing better on counters. Now the time I naturally want to hit X usually turns out to be right.

It does get off to a slow start. At first you're Desmond, and you're just following Lucy (who it turns out has quite a potty mouth for a video game chick). After that goes on for a while, you finally get to become Ezio, and then you're…delivering mail. For real, your character is basically a disgruntled postman. But finally, after all the setup is done, you get into the juicy assassin goodness, and it's just as fun as ever.
Chuck
___

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2009, 11:21 AM

I've been too busy finishing up Wolfenstein and playing COD:MW2 to start Assasin's Creed. I bought it, but put it in the game drawer, until I have time. I'll probably start it during Christmas vacation.

Nice to hear they improved the combat.

Does it have multiple towns/cities, or does it all occur in one great big city? Do you have to travel between towns/cities?
MacBook Pro

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2009, 02:16 AM

Does it have multiple towns/cities, or does it all occur in one great big city?
Several cities. You start out in Florence, then travel to Tuscany, Rome, etc. over the course of the story. There's actually one central city that's basically "yours" that you can build up and earn income from. (I'm currently earning 5000 per hour from my city.)

Do you have to travel between towns/cities?
The first time you go to a place, you have to travel there on horseback. After that you can do instant travel for a very small fee.

BTW, the platforming sections in this game will make you scream and cry.
Chuck
___

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2009, 04:47 PM

I've really been wanting to get into Assassin's Creed, I hope I can pick up both games after Christmas.

If I played the second game first would it ruin the story or anything for me? Or would that be okay?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2009, 04:51 PM

The whole plot of the second game is a huge spoiler for the first (because the first one kind of ends with a big reveal and a cliffhanger). Whether that's OK depends on how much you want to be surprised by the plot of the first game.
Chuck
___

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2009, 09:11 PM

Hmm, well I'll just pick up both of them then

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2010, 09:59 PM

Interesting changes to the game. They seemed to have made it more cinematic. Controls seem the same. But I just started, so I'm still in the delivery man part.
MacBook Pro

alfredbond
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2010, 03:19 AM

This game was great i played it on Xbox though. I recommend it to anybody who has played the first one. Much better. And it's a lot more meaningful and you discover more stuff. The game is brilliant apart from one thing. (on ps3 anyway). It only has an autosave function and has no option to save your game yourself from the pause menu.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by alfredbond View Post
It only has an autosave function and has no option to save your game yourself from the pause menu.
Yeah, I noticed that. The first game had that too, if I remember correctly, but I can't remember if there was a way around it - ie. something you could do to activate a save. It hasn't been a problem, though, for me yet.
MacBook Pro

ibook_steve
Mar 17, 2010, 11:08 AM

I'm actually playing the first one now (yeah, I'm two years behind; just got my slim PS3 on Black Friday). No, there is no way around the auto save. It auto saves after you complete a mission or perform an action like find one of those flags or climb a tower and get one of those viewpoints.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

alfredbond
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2010, 11:56 PM

This was brilliant on 360. I suspect it would be gorgeous on a PC. This game is excetional we play it frequently during the summer with my uncle he is really good at it. I actually downloaded it utterly free for my sony ps3 here 115 games .

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2010, 11:57 AM

Well, I'm definitely having fun with this one. They've added alot more to do and collect in this sequel. It's definitely a good sequel.

It seems they made the achievements easier to get though, as most of them you can get naturally as your progressing through the story. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

I do keep looking for items or trying to use skills I don't have yet. For example, I was looking for glyphs before I was given that feature or skill in the game. At one point they give you a sword and then it's gone, then you get it back. I wanted to get into a building to get a codex page before I had weapons or could hire cortesans, and couldn't get in due to the guards. I guess I shouldn't have read the manual first. But now I've learned to be patient.

The picking up of items or bodies seems a little buggy. You seem to have to be in the right position.

I wonder what year and what location the next sequel is going to be based on.
MacBook Pro

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2010, 12:17 PM

I got it when it came out and I played for about 5 hours but I found the controls so awkward and complicated I gave up.

Also I keep leaping off buildings when I don't want to and all the missions seem the same.

Grrr. I really wanted to like this one.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2010, 02:33 PM

Yes, the control scheme is very different from other games. If you played the first Assassin's Creed you'll be used to it, but a new user will be lost for awhile.

Basically, each button represents a part of the body.
A - the feet
B - the non-weapon hand (Assassin's Creed 1 didn't have 2 hidden blades so the right hand is the non-weapon hand).
X - weapon hand
Y - head

The buttons can change purpose depending on the situation, but the legend in the top right indicates the active purpose. And then there's the difference of being in passive mode versus active.

And yeah, there's times when you make the wrong jump or jump in the wrong direction.
MacBook Pro

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2010, 03:48 PM

I got the PS3 version but thanks. I get the concept but I found I was concentrating too much on what did what to actually fight. Also missions weren't all that much fun so far.

I'm gonna pick it up again though sometime and give it another try.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I got the PS3 version but thanks. I get the concept but I found I was concentrating too much on what did what to actually fight. Also missions weren't all that much fun so far.

I'm gonna pick it up again though sometime and give it another try.
The only thing you need to do in a fight is learn how to counter. Don't play this game for the combat.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
The only thing you need to do in a fight is learn how to counter. Don't play this game for the combat.
What? After I beat the game, that's all I play it for. It's a blast to get into brawls with guards, especially if you get 20 or so of them on you.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
What? After I beat the game, that's all I play it for. It's a blast to get into brawls with guards, especially if you get 20 or so of them on you.
The fighting is fun, but the actual combat itself is nothing to write home about. It's just blocking until you can counter. Yay.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2010, 02:02 PM

Hmm. I almost never use counter.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Hmm. I almost never use counter.
Well that was all I did in the first one, so I brought that over with me to the second. There isn't a whole lot of nuance to it, though. Counter normal guards, disarm the bigger guards.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2010, 02:16 PM

LOL, I never played the first one actually.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Also I keep leaping off buildings when I don't want to and all the missions seem the same.
Played a little further through, and I can see why you hate the occasional bad leap. In the races and the tombs, one bad leap can mean redoing the race or retracing your steps in the tombs. It wasn't ass big a deal in AC I as there were no races or intricate tomb jumping.

The missions are repetitive, but there is a bit more variety than AC I.
MacBook Pro

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2010, 05:30 PM

Yes, I hate the leaping sequences in the tombs. I still haven't finished two of them.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2010, 11:09 AM

They're puzzles that can be interesting and fun, but as I said, one bad leap and you have to start over (or partially over). The other thing is it's sometimes not clear at certain points which way you have to go to progress in the tombs. Am I supposed to go up, left, right? Is that jump too far? Can I grab onto that object?

Yeah, they give you a fly-over the course at the beginning, but half way through you've forgotten what the fly-over showed, except for the ending.

They sort of remind me of the old Prince of Persia game. (I haven't played the new version of the game.)
MacBook Pro

jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2010, 01:09 PM

I will admit - a couple of times I used a youtube video to help me finish a tomb.

Forum Links
Forum Rules