Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > UT X

UT X
Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2001, 01:09 PM

Sounds like Mark is having a few problems squashing a bad bug in UT X... http://www.imgmagazine.com/news/stor...ArticleID=4448 The bug seems to be specific to UT.

On a similar subject, I haven't seen any mention if he's going to update Deus Ex for Mac OS X.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

xyber233
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2001, 03:00 PM

Hehe, thats goos for me because I cannot use UT in X because I have no RagePro or voodoo2 drivers. This will give me enough time to buy a new computer so I dont feel left out .

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 14, 2001, 12:47 AM

At this point I think I'd be holding a 50 percent hope that UT makes it to X, and about a five percent hope for DE. He said the problem seemed to be UT-specific, not engine-specific, so he's putting it on the backburner while other projects take the forefront. As for DE...people are correct when they say it's based on UT, but there's a whole load of extra code in there that needs to be dealt with too..it's not like he can just take the code for DE and run it through the 'UT X-ifier' once he's done UT (assuming he ever does get it finished).
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2001, 04:05 AM

I dont' know about you guys but I would be willing to send the guy like twenty bucks or something for UT for X.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Robo-X
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2001, 05:24 AM

No I think MacSoft should pay for that. Just as they should update Driver to work on X. Because at this moment Driver doesn't even run in Classic under X. But I guess they will never do that.

//Rob

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Robo-X ]

Archangel
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2001, 01:10 AM

Kinda sad how some of these more popular games are struggling to make it to OS X. I guess it's a good thing that a bunch of Q3 based games made it. . .not that I play any of them save for FAKK2 (thanks Omni!).

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2001, 05:06 AM

Originally posted by Robo-X:
<STRONG>No I think MacSoft should pay for that. Just as they should update Driver to work on X. Because at this moment Driver doesn't even run in Classic under X. But I guess they will never do that.

//Rob

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Robo-X ]</STRONG>
Why? They never said they would, and they lived up to their end of the bargain. As far as I know Mark is doing this out of the goodness of his heart or something or another. I was able to pic up UT for a steal at $20, I would gladly pony up anther $20, for it to run in OS X just as good as in 9, and better for those of us who had a dead CPU in 9
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

HamSandwich
Dec 15, 2001, 09:29 AM

I think if Mark gets UT X done well, then Rune and Deus Ex will be carbonized...

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Dec 15, 2001, 09:58 AM

I really hope that UT will make it to OS X, and would be willing to pay for it.

I would be extremely happy for Deus Ex 2 to make it to OS X. Deus Ex is the best first person game on the planet!

spud

xyber233
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2001, 11:10 AM

He is having problems because he built UT X on OS 10.0.4. It is completely different from 10.1. I guess we have to wait till 10.2 to see what he will do.

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2001, 05:03 PM

so, how is UT X 1.1 working for you, I am just downloading it.

unixphreakz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2001, 08:06 PM

where are you getting UT X 1.1?
btw i haven't had any problems with ut x on 10.1.1, pismo 500 w/ 1024mb ram.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2001, 09:24 PM

MacCentral announced it on it's site in their weekly article on games. I haven't downloaded it yet.
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/...amesreview.php

I'm sure it will be announced on other sites on Monday.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Dr Evil
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2001, 12:22 AM

I tried it out, and it crashes just before going to full screen after loading on my Quicksilver. The first release does the same, so I am not that surprised given that the readme says that 1.1 is still very unstable on certain machines.
Quicksilver G4 867mhz 384mb/60gig
iBook 300 320mb/20gig
Athlon Xp 1700+(1.47GHz) 512mb ddr/26gig, GeForce 4 TI 4200/128mb
http://mayodreams.dyndns.org

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 17, 2001, 02:40 PM

I used to have that problem: crash on fullscreen after loading back in Preview 1. Once in a Blue Moon it would get past the crash on fullscreen...it would then run for about a minute and then crash.

Then I got ahold of a custom .ini file that someone had submitted to xlr8yourmac.com. And the game never crashed except when the interface screen was brought up (which meant I had to load my levels through the .ini file so I wouldn't have to go through the interface screen after loading.)

Then I trashed UT X 'cuz I didn't like the idea of changing my levels through the .ini all the time.

But now that I'm curious to see if Preview 1.1 fixed some things my freakin' combo drive is dead! So I can't install Unreal: GOTY back onto my computer. Well I could install it on my Beige G3 and hook it up with my Dual-800 G4 and transfer the game over...but screw that it's too much trouble. I'll just wait until Apple sends me a new combo drive.

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2001, 04:31 PM

http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/s...ArticleID=4479

*snip*
"Yep I'm going to work with some Apple engineers after we all get back from Christmas break to see if we can get this thing shaped up. I mainly did the preview 1.1 just to have something new out before I got out of town for Christmas."*snip*

Woah! Does this mean Apple is actually getting "in the game" (no pun intended) to help out with Westlake to make sure their OS works well with games? That's pretty cool

Forum Links
Forum Rules