Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Custom maps in RTCW?

Custom maps in RTCW?
Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2002, 02:37 PM

I noticed that quite a few servers have custom maps. Can I use these on the Mac? How do I install them? It was so nice when UT would just download them for you.

Where's a good site to download custom maps from?
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Corys
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2002, 07:58 PM

some servers allow you to DL maps from them, I think there is a setting YOU need to turn on to allow map downloads, look in your multiplayer setup..

or, you can get most maps from
http://www.rtcwfiles.com

Ldog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2002, 02:36 PM

When you download the .pak files, just unstuff them and drop them in the "main" folder in your Wolfenstein folder (you should see other .pak files in there already). You don't want to download them from the game servers while playing. This takes way too long. There are several sites on-line that allow you to download custom maps, and you can get them there at a much faster download speed.
G5 1.8 single processor, Jaguar
2 big dogs

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2002, 07:34 PM

Thanks guys.

I'll try downloading a couple from the site you gave me and see if it works.
MacBook Pro

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2002, 11:51 AM

A couple recommendations, if you've got decent hardware and a fast connection: Marketgarden and TrenchToast are two outstanding, big maps made to accommodate large numbers of people. There are a bunch of Marketgarden servers with 50-60 people, but play is still reasonable because they're spread out across several firefights around the map. Lots of fun.

What custom maps do y'all like?

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2002, 12:17 PM

Downloading maps directly from game servers, btw, is always painfully slow for me. I have a cable modem, but I can't d/l at more than 4k/s. Is this a limitation of the software, or can you somehow increase the throughput?

Corys
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2002, 02:04 PM

the speed at which you DL is specified by the server admin. they usually set it really low so it doesn't affect the current game in progress..

I dont' know if RTCW will allow redirects like UT. that would be the ideal solution

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2002, 02:44 PM

Well, I downloaded mp-tundra and the new special edition (se-.....) maps and tried one of the special edition maps and it worked. If I'd known it was that easy, I'd have done it long ago. I just didn't know what was involved and where the maps go. I've downloaded maps in UT like that before even though they download fast online... causes less interference in UT games.

I'll have to download trenchtoast and marketgarden. I've seen trenchtoast on a few servers.
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules