Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Omni OS X Game Ports: Giants, Elite Force

Omni OS X Game Ports: Giants, Elite Force
Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2001, 04:21 PM

Since I'm buying a G4 Dual-800, I've started watching the game news sites for OS X compatible games. Today I noticed that Omni is producing 2 interesting game ports - Giants and Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force. Both sound interesting, but how do these ports work? For instance Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force is already out on OS 9.x, do you have to buy the OS X port, or is it free if you have the OS 9.x version of the game? Ie. a free update or download?

I noticed the Heavy Metal port is a beta.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 15, 2001, 04:46 PM

The X version of Elite Force will be a free download, an update to the full OS 9 version. Giants will ship as as OS X-only game; there will be no OS 9 version.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

<mtra>
Aug 16, 2001, 05:48 PM

This is the only version of Giants that can use multiple processors. We actually added multi-processing support while we were doing the port, as well as doing various optimizations on the graphics routines (and changing the graphics library from Direct3D to OpenGL). The end result is we're getting the same framerates on our Macintosh dual 500 MHz G4s with a GeForce 2 on an AGP 2x bus as we do on a brand-new, top of the line Wintel AMD 1.3 GHz Ahtlon with a GeForce 3 on an AGP 4x bus and DDR RAM.
Nobody seen this?

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2001, 12:08 AM

They had some screenshots up over at Inside Mac Games comparing the framerates of two identical scenes, one on the aforementioned PC and the other on the Mac, where the Mac was leading the PC by around 0.5 fps. There's a lot of doubt which can be cast on those assertions, definitely, but it would be cool to see it and I don't think Omni would have a reason to lie at this point.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2001, 09:36 AM

Yes I saw that. It's nice to see a game developer taking advantage of the DP machines. I just didn't want to boast about the numbers, or it would start one of those Mac-PC debates again.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules