Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > itunes and burner

itunes and burner
xyber233
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 09:12 PM

I downloaded the new iTunes. I also have a USB Sony Spressa burner. When I go preferences, It always says looking for burner. It never finds it. It just keeps looking. What should I do?

drg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2001, 09:23 PM

With your USB burner connected and on, run Apple System Profiler then select the "Devices and Volumes" tab. See if your system recognizes the device. If not, you may need the extension installed to connect to your device.
eschew obfuscation

xyber233  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 09:53 PM

What extension do I need?

as2
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 10:52 PM

I think all the extensions you need should be installed with iTunes 1.1.

If you wan't though, you can try to get it to work with DiskBurner in the finder too.

I have the files you need to do this, so just e-mail me if you want them.

Adam
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

xyber233  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2001, 11:29 PM

I found out the number of my burner. I have a Sony Spressa CRX100E/X2. Does this mean the drive is not supported? How can I get it to work?

[This message has been edited by xyber233 (edited 02-22-2001).]

caifara
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2001, 05:46 AM

dunno for sure, but i don't think it will work:
these are the supported sony drives:

CD-RW CRX140E
� CD-RW CRX700E
� CD-RW CRX140
� CD-RW CRX145
� CD-RW CRX160
� CD-RW CRX700
� CD-RW CRX10U

so, as your drive isn't in the list I suppose you'll have to wait for another update.

caifara
-c

PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2001, 08:02 AM

If you used to burn with toast there are a couple extensions that are associated with toast that need to be disabled
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

Ogden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2001, 12:38 PM

Which extentions? I have an Iomega Zip CD 650 that Apple says will work with iTunes 1.1, but my iMac DV won't recognize that burner in iRunes either!! I have disabled all Toast extentions, but perhaps I disabled too many? Which ones would I need to burn from ItUnes. There's is very limited help on this in the Itunes help folder, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
---- ogden ----

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2001, 01:22 PM

What I want to know is if you want to burn cds through iTunes, is there any way to burn files through toast without turning extensiont on and off? This seems like a real pain. I guess since Toast was working, I should stick with it, but I would enjoy using itunes to burn too.

RLeatherwood
Feb 23, 2001, 03:03 PM

If you want to burn data CDs then download Apple's Discburner. Discburner will only install on Apple's G4s w/internal CD-RW so you will need Tomeviewer.

1. Extract Discburner, Discburner Extension, and the new Finder from the Installer tome.

2. Find the folder called dk. This is an update to Mac OS Help.

3. Open your help folder in the system folder

4. Then open the folder Mac OS Help

5. Drag the dk folder here to update your online help. To see, select Mac OS Help from the Help menu. Select Discs.

6. Place the discburner application in your Utilites folder

7. Place the Diskburner Extension in your extensions folder

8. Replace the Finder with the new version.

9. Reboot.

10. You will now see a Burn CD... in the Special menu

To use insert a blank CD-R or CD-RW media into your drive. The finder will prompt to erase the CD. When you are done transfering files to the CD, use Burn CD... from the Special menu.

This works great with my new Iomega Prediator USB CD-RW unit. I do not need Toast. Only downside is that the Discburner software cannot create multiple session CDs. Though its especially cool with RW media since you can now erase your CD-RWs from the Finder. Feels more integrated.

xyber233  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2001, 05:21 PM

I dont have toast. I have Charismac discribe. If my cd-rw doesnt work with itunes it definately wont work with disk burner right?

bluebean
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2001, 10:15 PM

RLeatherwood, your steps worked great (am burning a data CD at the moment) on my DVSE. Time to dump Toast and use DiscBurner and iTunes. Thanks very much!

RLeatherwood
Feb 23, 2001, 10:16 PM

Unfortunately, that's correct. Discburner is using the extensions provided by iTunes. You may have a extension conflict with Discribe that is preventing iTunes/Discburner from working. According to Apple only one set of extensions will work. Try disabling the Discribe extensions and any CD specifc extensions that you installed for your drive.

pixlart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2001, 12:11 AM

Does iTunes/Disc Burner have the equivalant of Toast's "Disc Copy" feature? So far, the only way I've found to do this is to have iTunes first rip the CD in my G4's CD drive (which takes several minutes). Then the ripped files can be burned onto a CD in my external CD burner (QueFire 12X10X32).

Toast can directly copy a CD without first ripping the files to my hard drive. Any way to do this with Itunes/Disc Burner?

parky_in_paris
Feb 24, 2001, 06:04 PM

I to have successfully set up Disc-Burner using my external drive.
Do you think Apple have not released this yet to keep the Toast people happy.

It does seem to less capability than Toast, as others have said you cannot make a direct copy of a CD with Disc-Burner which is a pity.

You need to RIP with iTunes then write out the compress MP3 files as music files. This takes time and also loses quality in the process.

If anyone has a way of doing this I would appricate it.

xyber233  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2001, 08:05 PM

I got diskburner to work. I have two questions though. How come I can't burn all of the 700mb of my CD-R? Also, is Mac OS X going to have diskburner? It's really cool.

foobars
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2001, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by RLeatherwood:
Discburner is using the extensions provided by iTunes.
Does this mean that if iTunes works with my external CD burner It will work with DiskBurner too?!

xyber233  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2001, 10:01 PM

I have a problem with diskburner now. When I erase a CD-RW or try to burn something, it launches disk burner, says burning disk, then doesnt do anything. I can still move the mouse but I have to end up restarting the computer.

RLeatherwood
Feb 24, 2001, 11:26 PM

foobars,

see my first posting in this thread on how-to install discburner. Yes, after you install iTunes 1.1, you can install Discburner and use it to burn data CDs. Think of Discburner though as comsumer burning software. It works but not a lot of extras.

I hope Adaptec/Roxio release an update to Toast to use Apple's new drivers (not counting on it but you never know -- toast 5 anyone??)

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2001, 12:05 PM

For some reason, TomeViewer won't let me expand the new Finder--gives me error -43 when I try. I downloaded the burner software twice and got the same error twice. That's a file not found error, but somehow I doubt that's the problem.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

RLeatherwood
Feb 25, 2001, 12:20 PM

yoyo52,

Are you trying to expand the Finder into the system folder? If so, error -43 is a file in use error. Try creating a empty folder on your desktop and then expand all the files into it. To replace the finder, drag the old Finder to the Trash and drag the new Finder to your System folder.

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2001, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Rleatherwood, but I did try expanding it into the desktop folder first, and then into an untitled folder on the desktop--got the message both times.

xyber233  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2001, 08:19 PM

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2001, 10:26 PM

That's one complete set of instructions, xyber! Thanks.

foobars
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2001, 05:49 PM

Yes thanks a lot xyber! Trashing the old authoring extras and reinstalling iTunes was what was tripping me up. Great instructions!

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Feb 26, 2001, 06:40 PM

I trashed itunes after discovering it does not work with my Iomega zip 650. I tried Itunes and it did not work so I am still using toast. toast works fine
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

dw
Feb 28, 2001, 01:16 AM

I have a zip 650 (12x10x32 version supposedly a sanyo 1300p mechanism or something like that, it's on apple's list) and can't even get mine to show up in the apple system profiler. It's driving me CRAZY! Incidentally, I can't get toast to work either. I have power to the drive but if I put in any disk it just spins. The system profiler just says it's a cd rom but has no info on it. Strange indeed. Anyone have any ideas?

Originally posted by mikithecrackhead:
I trashed itunes after discovering it does not work with my Iomega zip 650. I tried Itunes and it did not work so I am still using toast. toast works fine

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Mar 3, 2001, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by xyber233:
I got diskburner to work. I have two questions though. How come I can't burn all of the 700mb of my CD-R? Also, is Mac OS X going to have diskburner? It's really cool.
xyber233 -

Did you ever get your Spressa to burn the full 700MB? I have the exact same drive (CRX100 E/X2) and i can only burn up to 489MB or 55min audio?

Also, are you able to burn audio with iTunes w/out locking up? The only way i can get iTunes NOT to lock up is to disable USB Authoring extension and enable the 2 Discribe extensions.

Thanks -

Speed

xyber233  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2001, 09:16 PM

Something weird happened. Every time I try to burn a cd or erase a CD-RW, diskburner launches but the progress bar doesn't move. Every time I put in a CD though the most I can use is a little under 500mb.

Forum Links
Forum Rules