Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Audio Solutions, Please!!!!

Audio Solutions, Please!!!!
Ogden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2001, 07:37 PM

Hey everybody!

I am a public speaker by trade. I use my trusty little iBook SE everywhere I go for PowerPoint and the like.

Lately I have wanted to put together some sort of a CD sample of my speaking engagments for potential clients. I have cassette tape recordings of all of my speeches, but Im not sure how to go about getting them on a CD.

My question to all you Macheads is this: What software and/or hardware would I need to pull this off. I also have a lot of my stuff on minidisc, but I am unsure as to how to plug it into my iBook to make an MP3 or something that I can burn to a CD. Any help?

Is there a way to use iMovie to do this - maybe audio with no video or something? I don't know - I'm grasping at straws here!!

Thanks!

Ogden
---- ogden ----

BLU
May 5, 2001, 02:50 PM

Do iBooks have an audio in port? I record my cassettes in through that using a sound recording app, then change them over to MP3 with iTunes. But you need a lot of temporary disk space to initialy record.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2001, 09:23 AM

You will first need a USB device that provides Audio I/O

Example:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/audio/imic_main.html

Will then need some software to record from your source.

The u will a CD-R drive, (Firewire) with some software, Toast, iTunes etc to burn to a disk.

Targon

Ogden  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2001, 03:40 PM

Could you guys be a little more specific? I know I need a mic and some "software"!! I need to know what. Is there a USB solution for microphones into iBooks? What softeware?

Thanks
---- ogden ----

Dogma
Mac Elite
May 6, 2001, 04:56 PM

The best option for you would probably be the Griffin iMic form Griffin Technology (Targon provided the link) - and pretty much any Mic. or audio source would go into that.

To record the audio into the machine, you could either record directly into SoundJam MP by Cassady & Greene http://www.soundjam.com , you will need to buy the full version, or you could go out and buy Toast Deluxe http://www.roxio.com which provides both a program called CD SpinDoctor (to record from tape, record or any audio source direct to disk and also remove the hisses and pops you get from tape and Vinyl) and Toast itself which you can create better quality CD's with (because it doesn't encode into MP3 first).
There are various other Apps out there that do similar stuff, some free, some not, but these are probably the easiest.

And you'll need a CD writer. If you have a Firewire iBook, buy a firewire writer as they're much quicker and reliable (plus they don't take up your precious USB port)

Hope that's enough info, if you need anymore, please don't hesitate.

------------------
"If you can't stand the flames, get out of the bulletin board!"

[This message has been edited by Dogma (edited 05-06-2001).]
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

Ogden  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2001, 06:11 PM

Dogma---

That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you for all the great info!

Ogden
---- ogden ----

Forum Links
Forum Rules