Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Can software RAID in 10.2 or 10.3 do a stripe for booting?

Can software RAID in 10.2 or 10.3 do a stripe for booting?
maximage
Oct 21, 2003, 02:51 AM

Was wondering if the Apple software RAID can create a single striped 500GB disc from 2 x 250GB discs and still boot from it? Seem to have conflicting info on this front and the only info I can find on the Apple Support Site relates to 10.1. Thanks!

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 07:20 AM

This may be a limitation due to the size of that partition. I used to have a 2*40GB RAID 0 software stripeset for my OS X 10.2 for several months - it was just working fine.

That means it should also be working for you, it may be a software issue - AFAIK, OS X cannot handle 500GB partitions.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 08:06 AM

I thought OSX could handle 2TB paritions.

Striping and booting 2x250 should work with 10.2. Keep your boot CD handy and back up all your data just in case it doesn't.

FYI: I striped two 120GB drives into a 240GB with Jaguar, but decided to go back to independent (non-raid) drives when I realized I couldn't boot into OS9 and then boot back to the RAID without first booting into a non-RAID OSX partition. When RAIDed, only OSX can see the OSX RAID drives.

I'm still clinging to OS9 for emergencies... but seldom actually use it.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

maximage  (op)
Oct 22, 2003, 04:57 AM

Thanks for the input, Im actually about to buy and am deciding whether to CTO to a 250GB and buy another 250 aftermarket or not bother, so that helps more than Apple Support could, thanks!

solaris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2003, 07:30 AM

I have a dual 2GHz G5 with 2x250GB SATA drives in a striped configuration.

The only downside is that you can't partition the stripe - you just have one big disk (mine is actually called "Big Disk"). That said, when tech tool pro 4 comes out you should be able to keep the large stripe defragged and optimised ok.

I use mine for work with FCE/DVD encoding What I plan to do in the future is get 2 FW800 LaCie external disks and stripe them together for a 500GB scratch disk, then mirror the two internal drives for a 250GB boot disk.

SlimHades
Oct 27, 2003, 07:15 AM

I striped two 250's together on my G5, and I'm having an interesting issue: it doesn't boot from the drive after a restart (displaying the System Folder question mark) unless I hold the Option key down and select it.

If I shut down and then turn the machine back on, however, it boots normally!

Forum Links
Forum Rules