Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Future of iPod as Palm replacement?

Future of iPod as Palm replacement?
ehunt
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2002, 07:24 PM

Thinking about finally buyign an iPod...guessing the 10 gig with the touch sensitive, carrying case & remote controller is a much better purchase......but with calender & address book coming it seems like it may be a viable palm replacement...any chance of being able to actually enter data in it directly eventually? I mean can it replace palm? I am planning on leaving entourage when Jaguar and all it's new app's come out....but the thing missing from the iPod then is Notes which i use quite a bit....anyone know any rumours from apple as to how far the iPod is going to go as PDA replacement?
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2002, 06:14 PM

I remember seeing a site somewhere where this guy developed a text entry system using just the wheel and center button on the iPod. This process would be VERY tedious and not all that useful in the real world though.

I don't think the iPod, in it's current form, could ever be a PDA replacement because the input interface is far too limited (to the point of basically being non-existant).

ehunt  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2002, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
I remember seeing a site somewhere where this guy developed a text entry system using just the wheel and center button on the iPod. This process would be VERY tedious and not all that useful in the real world though.

I don't think the iPod, in it's current form, could ever be a PDA replacement because the input interface is far too limited (to the point of basically being non-existant).
Thanks dude. I would hate to shell out for an iPod only to have a keypad iPod come out soon after Jaguar and all the iApps are released!! Guess it's safe to say iPod won't become a Palm replacement any time soon....
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2002, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by ehunt:
Guess it's safe to say iPod won't become a Palm replacement any time soon....
As a supplement, yeah, it can be great. As a replacement, no way.
Of course, there are rumors that Apple is coming out with a PDA sometime in the next 2-458 months. Don't hold your breath though

ehunt  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2002, 06:37 PM

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!" -Homer Simpson [/B]

Now that is freakin' hi-larious!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules