Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Stolen IPOD 80 G Classic , while in Fairbanks AK. Hospital

Stolen IPOD 80 G Classic , while in Fairbanks AK. Hospital
AnAnimal2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2012, 01:53 PM

I am very disgusted in apple ant the Itunes store. Its not bad enough that when I arrived in Fairbanks Alaska , 300 miles out I had severe head pain and lost the vision in my right eye.

I had to be med-evaced back to Pennsylvania ,loosing my original airline tickets because they were non refundable . BUt while I was in the Hospital, my IPOD Classic was in the hotel room where my daughter had our belongings as I was in the Hospital.
Getting to the airport after three days in the hospital, and waiting for the plane I asked my daughter to get my Ipod 80 G classic out of my bag since I could not see it , it turned out someone from the hotel stole it while I was in the hospital and my daughter there with me. My daughter packed everything from the room as I was going to be sent home on an emergency Evac, so I could be operated on when I got back to Pennsylvania.
It was not bad enough that I was literaly blind and having to buy two tickets to get back early to PA and get to Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia so they could at least save my eye and hopefully my vision. I did make it back to Philly and was operated on for two and a half hours to save my eye and sight. I now cannot see anything past 18 inches from my face. It is just bothering me that while I am in the hospital ( I never got to see anything in Alaska as , what happened , happened to me right as I entered Alaska, and we had a 6 hour drive to get to the nearest hospital which was Fairbanks. BUT FOR SOMEONE TO ENTER A HOTEL ROOM WITH AN ELECTRONIC KEY AND STEAL MY IPOD CLASSIC ,ALL THE WHILE I AM IN THE HOSPITAL AND BLIND WAITING TO BE EVACED BACK HOME.

YOU WOULD THINK THAT APPLE , KNOWING THAT WHOEVER STOLE MY IPOD WILL HAVE TO ERASE EVERYTHING AND SYNC IT UP WITH A NEW COMPUTER . APPLE DOES COLLECT YOUR SERIAAL NUMBER SOO I KNOW THEY CAN IF SOMEONE GOES ON LINE AND TRIES TO USE MY IPOD CLASSIC THEY WILL PICK UP THE SERIAL NUMBER AND KNOW WHERE THAT PERSON IS. IT WAS REPORTED TO THE FAIRBANKS PLOICE DEPARTMENT WITH ALL SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION, COPY OF THE BOX, SERIAL NUMBERS AND WHERE IT WAS STOLEN .

WHY DOE'SNT APPLE PROTECT ITS CUSTOMERS , KNOWING THAT WHEN A PRODUCT IS STOLEN THEY CAPTURE THE PERSON WHO IS USING IT AND DOWNLOADING OR SYNCING IT ON THEIR COMPUTER , USING THE APPLE STORE OR ITUNES STORE. IF APPLE DOES THIS WHY CAN'T THEY REPORT WHO IS USING IT TO THE POLICE SO AT LEAST I CAN GET IT BACK. I AM DISAPPOINTED WITH APPLE AND THE LACK OF HELP THEY GIVE. I USE MAC COMPUTERS SO I AM A LOYAL CUSTOMER , BUT IT SEEMS TO ME APPLE WANTS TO PROTECT THE THIEF'S INFO RATHER THAN MY RIGHT TO GET IT BACK.

M. KAY
PENNSYLVANIA

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2012, 02:32 PM

I'm so sorry about your medical problems but how is Apple responsible for recovering your iPod? If anything else is stolen you're SOL so why are Apple's products different? I could tell Little Snitch to block Apple and still update an iPod (I bet) so don't be so sure they have a record of the wipe. Best thing to do is take a deep breath, be thankful for the doctors saving your eyesight, and get better. It sucks your iPod's gone but it's replaceable...

Best wishes.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by AnAnimal2 View Post
WHY DOE'SNT APPLE PROTECT ITS CUSTOMERS
Two reasons.

Firstly, any system like this can't generate a single false positive, otherwise they have 10 times the PR problem they have now. As obnoxious as your situation is, "Apple won't freeze my stolen iPod" flat-out doesn't compare to "Apple sold me an iPod which stopped working for no reason".

The upshot of this is the more aggressive the system gets, the more hot water they get themselves into. The solution would likely be a weak system.

The second issue is transfer of ownership. Apple can't keep a master record of ownership unless it's willing to arbitrate disputes for used iDevice sales. It would be a monumental undertaking for them to take on that responsibility for the hundreds of millions of iDevices floating around out there, not to mention ridiculously expensive.

So, a system for something like you propose would consume massive resources and have the end result of functioning poorly, if at all. For the increase in price you'd have to pay, you might as well get third-party insurance.

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2012, 07:16 PM

Yeah, sorry guy, but this is just kind of one of those things that happens. I've had an iPod stolen before, and found lost iPods that didn't have any information on them that I could use to get them back to their owner. It sucks, but... it happens.

Forum Links
Forum Rules