Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > Buyer Beware - The Shady Traders List

Buyer Beware - The Shady Traders List (Page 2)
w8ing4intelmacs
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2007, 11:54 AM

delete

we resolved our misunderstandings
( Last edited by w8ing4intelmacs; Feb 10, 2007 at 06:40 PM. )

wallock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2007, 03:12 PM

Deleted post
( Last edited by wallock; Jul 12, 2013 at 02:05 AM. Reason: delete)

w8ing4intelmacs
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2007, 04:07 PM

delete
( Last edited by w8ing4intelmacs; Feb 10, 2007 at 06:41 PM. )

Signwatcher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2007, 11:42 AM

He has pretty much shown himself to be just as most say. He sells broken macs to one of the lists I am on and he also has a web site with his ahh possible new addy in Owosso MI.

MacMan Computers

If anyone wishes to look for him hey go at it. I got four blue and whites all four are good for parts only. Had hoped to build me a second one as a back up but alas nope. I will also post this to other areas on apple fritters as well.

Current address for Steven T. Landon. Scammer.

507 Coruuna Rd Apt#4 Owosso, MI 48867
269-838-2851 possible cell phone.
also has this email of
[email protected]
[email protected]

I can call down to the county seat to see if he has a dba business license if anyone wants to email me off here.

Offender Tracking Information System (OTIS) - Offender Profile

This is also him.

sledsbehave
Senior User
Feb 6, 2007, 11:28 PM

all you gotta do is read this thread entited "buyer beware" --

why would so many people continue to deal with this guy or his "girlfriend" or whatever his newest scam is...

can we finally be rid of this guy?
as ever,
sonny

tigertom
Banned
Apr 13, 2007, 12:52 PM

Tips when buying over the internet:

1. Use a credit card. If you don't get the goods, or they were not as specified, you can instigate a chargeback

2. "I'm sick, I had an accident etc." These are lies. Classic way to stall the 'mark'.

3. "My sister posted those remarks, not me". Another lie. I run chat rooms, and get this all the time. Cracks me up.

It's all about leverage. If they've got your money, and you can't get at them, there's no motivation to complete the trade. I only buy from vendors with a good few rep. points from substantial trades on eBay, who've been around for years..

Don't let greed make you agree to deals where you'll be in a weak position.

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 29, 2007, 12:34 AM

Do not deal with: newportnews

Per this thread:

http://forums.macnn.com/59/marketpla...-airbase-49-a/

Sent PayPal right away.... never got it. After a while I sent an email asking for an update. He said, oh yea, it's on it's way. Obviously never came. Reported to PayPal, they got no response from him. They settled the conflict in my favor, BUT, apparently only got $2 from him. So I'm out $47.

He has been a member since 2001, but I guess that doesn't matter.

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2007, 12:08 AM

I advise very strong caution with the following individual. He isn't on MacNN, but he is listed in most of the other mac forums!

Name: Wayne Oats
Forum Handles: WayneOats, WauneOats, CartierGuy
eBay: wayneoats (now not active), catierdealer07

I bought a G5 case from him, which he labled as "un-modded" and "original case". He took some pictures from different angles which made it seem like it was perfectly good. I lined up the "pegs" on the inside of the case with the motherboard pegs on mine, and knew they matched. After him repeatedly asking me to pay an extra $20-25 to have the money wired by Western Union, he agreed to Personal check, and claimed that it was packaged already, and that he would ship it and email the tracking number the day the check cleared.

To cut this extremely long and annoying story to a point: It took two weeks for him to admit he took my money and ran, and at the threat of small claims court or other similar actions, he lied and told me he would ship it immediately to me, and apologized for essentially ignoring 2 weeks of emails and phonecalls and pretending nothing had happened.

It then took more emails and phone calls to find out he hadn't, but it scared him enough that he did finally ship it. He promised (for probably the.. 6th? time) that it would arrive the coming Saturday, and it didn't. Thankfully it arrived the following Monday night.

To put acid in the wound, the case arrived with horrible scratches on one side (which weren't there in the pictures he posted). We are talking 5-6 inches long, and deep (quite textured!). Some of the pegs the motherboard mounts onto had been hacked off, and some of the plastic near the ports was also missing. I had to spend a full weekend in my shop to reconstruct the case so that it could hold the internal components like it should, and it still has the huge scratches and some rivets from my work on it to get it to accept a motherboard again.

While he did finally ship the case, it was damaged, didn't fit the original picture / description, and took weeks of attempts at communication for him to admit he just took my money and ran with it. I suppose I'm lucky I got anything. NEVER trade / buy / sell with this person.

I recently found that he is labled as a scammer on craigslist, but his eBay feedback is still strangely positive...
yep.

kgarchar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2007, 11:48 AM

On July 21, Schneider sent me a Message

Originally Posted by Schneider
I can do $20 shipped to Ohio. I am a seller on ebay as well as a frequent buyer and from what i see they tend to sell for about $15 plus a large shipping amount usually totaling $22-25 shipped. Anyway if you would like to do $20 shipped to Ohio please send paypal payment to podvendorscentral(atnospam)gmail.com and we will get it out as soon as payment clears!

THanks!

so i sent the money via paypal
echeck clears
wait for a pm letting me know it shipped
never got a pm
pm him
no response

just saw that the echeck cleared, so I'd appreciate if you can send that screen.

it's now 10 days later and I haven't heard from him since the original pm saying he had the screen.

figured i'd post about it

I feel like i got cheated $20

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2007, 10:05 PM

Many people have had a good experience with doucy2 on these forums, but it was a different story for me. He had a G4 Tower that I was going to trade him for my iMac G3 and an FM transmitter that worked with a shuffle. He got a working iMac, and I recieved a G4 Tower that wouldnt boot up, and when it did, everything could be opened, but the program wouldn't actually show up. ALSO, the video card was faulty, AND one of the HARD plastic handles broke in half, and the box wasn't well packaged.

Stay away.

P.S. He also said that all he recieved for an FM tansmitter was a wire. What he failed to mention was on one end of the wire, there was a USB port for a shuffle, and on the other end there was a car lighter adaptor...
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

chipchen
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2007, 10:30 PM

Has anyone else dealt with MacBook78 recently? He seemed to be selling a lot of stuff off a few weeks ago... and I bought a broken PowerBook from him... but it's been almost one month since I paid (11/18/07) and I still have not received the item. Whenever I ask him... he gets back to me really late and says he has no shipping information and that it's just holiday shipping delays. I've been shipping a LOT of stuff over the past for weeks, and nothing is THAT delayed.

I've opened a PayPal dispute, and in the dispute he now claims that he shipped it LAST WEEK... which would be THREE WHOLE WEEKS after I paid. But, I just don't believe him.

Anyone else get something from him and receive it?

kondspi
Jan 11, 2008, 04:43 PM

Actually, yes.

I bought some Bose headphones for MacBook78 and they showed up in good shape.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2008, 11:37 PM

So let me update what happened....

I wasn't getting anywhere PMing or emailing... so I opened a PayPal dispute. (a dispute is not to dispute the charge, but to open up dialogue before disputing the charge) So now that the dispute was open, he finally says that all of a sudden he has a tracking number and that I should close the dispute.

So I plug the number into the USPS website... and no information comes up. I go back into the dispute and mention this... and he responds.. oh, well thats just the insurance slip. I'm thinking, it could be the insurance slip for anything... who knows... maybe a gift to his mother?

Then he says I should cut him a break because it takes a long time because he's in the military overseas. This was the FIRST time he mentioned this. Sure then, I can understand to a certain point... I have a lot of respect for the military and can understand it takes a while for shipping.

Anyway... I FINALLY got the package after Christmas. It took over 6 weeks to get it... you can understand my skepticism... especially since I was being blown off on emails and lied to, even on the paypal dispute. I looked at the ship date, it was December 7th.

I closed the dispute... but send him one last message saying basically this... Honesty can get you much further than you think. Just tell me.. look.. I took me a while to send... I'm in the military overseas... please understand... and I would definitely be much more understanding that if I've been ignored and lied to...

So that's it... Macbook78 came through with the purchase, even though it was really late.

praterkeith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2008, 02:53 AM

BEWARE OF STEVE LANDON!

Back in early November I posted in several places online that I was interested in trading for a Powermac G4. An older model. I posted a few items that I was willing to give up.
One of them was an M-Audio Keyboard. Great for using as a Midi Controller.
I was contacted by Steve Landon, www.macmancomputers.com is his so called business.
We agreed to trade the keyboard for his Dual 500mhz g4 tower.
We also agreed to send them out the following Friday. I did so, however he never did.
The rollercoaster began. I would contact him daily to check on it and everytime got a
Lame excuse about either his roommate, his car breaking down, etcâ€Ĥ..
Well, here I am now, a couple of months have passed and I still haven’t received anything and he has apparently stolen my property. He has lied and stolen and I wanted to warn everyone of this guy. He is also a convicted sex offender and you should beware. I have come to find out that he also served time for other crimes.
DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS GUY!
Here is a good link about himâ€Ĥ.

Prosecuting Steven Landon | Applefritter

-Keith Prater
( Last edited by praterkeith; Jan 20, 2008 at 02:54 AM. Reason: forgot name)
PowerMac G4-733mhz-Quicksilver | 5th gen. iPod-Video-30gb-White. | Pentax *istDS DSLR

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2008, 04:14 AM

beware of dekks, albeit that was his first and only post here on Marketplace so he well could register with another nickâ€Ĥ fact is he goes for a bunch of different names but his bank account owner is Emad Raouf, Quebec, Canadaâ€Ĥ

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...please-advice/

jcosmide
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2008, 01:01 PM

Watch out for 07Si, I just lost $35 to him for a wireless mighty mouse.

I sent paypal about 2 weeks ago and he confirmed receipt and said it'd ship within two days then he disappeared for a week and gave an excuse of a surprise trip and that he'd have a tracking number for me by last thursday.

I gave him multiple chances to rectify the situation, but he doesn't respond to PMs or email.

His Paypal address is [email protected]

Edit:His name is Daniel Ruiz.
( Last edited by jcosmide; Apr 27, 2008 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Added name)

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Jun 19, 2008, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by chipchen View Post
So let me update what happened....

I wasn't getting anywhere PMing or emailing... so I opened a PayPal dispute. (a dispute is not to dispute the charge, but to open up dialogue before disputing the charge) So now that the dispute was open, he finally says that all of a sudden he has a tracking number and that I should close the dispute.

So I plug the number into the USPS website... and no information comes up. I go back into the dispute and mention this... and he responds.. oh, well thats just the insurance slip. I'm thinking, it could be the insurance slip for anything... who knows... maybe a gift to his mother?

Then he says I should cut him a break because it takes a long time because he's in the military overseas. This was the FIRST time he mentioned this. Sure then, I can understand to a certain point... I have a lot of respect for the military and can understand it takes a while for shipping.

Anyway... I FINALLY got the package after Christmas. It took over 6 weeks to get it... you can understand my skepticism... especially since I was being blown off on emails and lied to, even on the paypal dispute. I looked at the ship date, it was December 7th.

I closed the dispute... but send him one last message saying basically this... Honesty can get you much further than you think. Just tell me.. look.. I took me a while to send... I'm in the military overseas... please understand... and I would definitely be much more understanding that if I've been ignored and lied to...

So that's it... Macbook78 came through with the purchase, even though it was really late.
Little late for an update here...but I purchased a Motorola Q from Macbook78 in November/December 2007. He said it was CDMA and unlocked. I received it in about a week, but it was GSM/unlocked, so not as described. I emailed back trying to find out what to do about it. He told me he was in the military overseas and he was planning to get married in December, so he couldn't really deal with it at that point.

I ended up selling it locally at a profit, so I didn't bother with it again. It ended up working out for me, but this is posted as an FYI.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2008, 01:57 PM

How about PowerPro2008? There's a thread on that now that he's possibly scammed at least one member here.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

MacBook78
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2008, 01:57 PM

Jonas,

I think I said lets deal with it after our weddings and I also asked for you to send it back and I would give you the refund.

Originally Posted by jonasmac View Post
Little late for an update here...but I purchased a Motorola Q from Macbook78 in November/December 2007. He said it was CDMA and unlocked. I received it in about a week, but it was GSM/unlocked, so not as described. I emailed back trying to find out what to do about it. He told me he was in the military overseas and he was planning to get married in December, so he couldn't really deal with it at that point.

I ended up selling it locally at a profit, so I didn't bother with it again. It ended up working out for me, but this is posted as an FYI.

donclarkjr
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2008, 01:37 PM

Buyers and specifically TRADERS beware of anything in or around Herrin IL

I already have a post started about this but just incase it gets pushed down

usernames
Kevin(anything)
samoan(anything)
Ozz_man
Ossie(anything)

all these usernames have been used by the same person
so please be careful

Ozz_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2008, 06:50 PM

Edit: I thought we had it worked out guess I was wrong
( Last edited by Ozz_man; Jul 17, 2008 at 08:02 PM. Reason: nevermind)

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2008, 07:22 PM

Don Clark & Ozz Man,
No one here has any idea what you two are even talking about.
This is a forum where we post to help others avoid getting into a deal that will bring us trouble.

I can say for me that I will never deal with either of you and I can not imagine anyone would after all we have been subjected to here.

You both just keep posting as though we are all in the "Loop" with you,we are not.

Please either tell us exactly what is/has happened or take it somewhere else.

This just is not helping anyone.

Ed

Ozz_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2008, 07:42 PM

Please either tell us exactly what is/has happened or take it somewhere else.
nevermind
( Last edited by Ozz_man; Jul 22, 2008 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Nevermind. Sigh.)

dudesaloser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2008, 08:26 PM

I had to register to post something, only becaues the comments are so recent.

Steven Landon is a nut job.

I know him in person, I had no idea about any of this stuff until I tossed his name in a search engine.

He has computer bits and parts EVERYWHERE in his house, however he lives on welfare working only 2 days a week or so. So how does he keep getting all this new stuff?

Swore on his life he hadn't scammed anyone since before he went to jail, but this stuff is still popping up all over the internet.

He is emotionally and mentally unstable. Stay away from this guy. If you notice any of his listings anywhere please let me know.
( Last edited by dudesaloser; Sep 13, 2008 at 12:27 PM. )

coreythemagnificent46
Steven Landon
Marketplace Fame
Sep 13, 2008, 12:23 PM

Alright after reading all this bs.. that member dudesaloser has got Steve Landon aka scammer extrordanaire confused with 2 other members on here jonasmac and MacBook78. I dont want these guys confused with the other guy. mods please delete the posting

dudesaloser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2008, 12:27 PM

Corey the magnificent is also Steven Landon.

However, he is correct I mixed up the posts.

However, everything else I said was true.

I will correct the posts, however, in previous posts the things "corey" is saying are things "Steven" told me in person. So, don't trust COREYTHEMAGNIFICENT with your trades either.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 13, 2008, 04:03 PM

Dudesaloser, you're a new member so I doubt you have any history I can track to look at previous transactions.

It would be helpful if you provided evidence to support your accusations. If you are another member posting under this new alias for anonymity, then please use the report abuse button on an affected post/thread and provide an explanation.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 15, 2008, 02:53 PM

After some research, it came to our attention that coreythemagnificent46 was indeed Steve Landon. In light of this he has been banned from the forums and will be banned on sight if he registers again.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by doucy2 View Post
Don't do business with either of these two guys that are on AIM their S/N are vxfilmer04 & lowcostmacs
Don't do business with douchey2! Horrible trader.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Daphne Dorotea
Banned
Jan 25, 2010, 01:52 AM

As the rodent runs in its wheel the motion powers the shredder and the cut paper falls into the base of the cage as fresh bedding.You just have to feel a bit sorry for the poor hamster, Tom say it takes them 45 minutes of running flat out to shred just one sheet of paper.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2010, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Daphne Dorotea View Post
As the rodent runs in its wheel the motion powers the shredder and the cut paper falls into the base of the cage as fresh bedding.You just have to feel a bit sorry for the poor hamster, Tom say it takes them 45 minutes of running flat out to shred just one sheet of paper.
Quoted for awesome.

Bye, Spammer!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2010, 03:13 AM

Looks like the mods removed the spam sig link, but left the awesome first post.

-t

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2011, 01:50 AM

Over a year without any bad reports in this thread!

That's good enough in my book to show that the macnn marketplace is a safe place to trade, sell, and buy "items"

LONG LIVE MACNN! LONG LIVE MACNN! LONG LIVE MACNN!

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2011, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Daphne Dorotea View Post
Weird
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

pierreborg761
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2011, 08:07 AM

Hi i bought some items from someone saying he is an authorised reseller for apple in china. now he is telling me to increase the order.
the chap is DRAGONSTAR, does anyone know about them?
cheers

andi*pandi
Apr 4, 2011, 10:00 AM

I can't find a MacNN user with that name. Did you contact them through MacNN?

Forum Links
Forum Rules