Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Game of Thrones TV series (SPOILERS)

Game of Thrones TV series (SPOILERS)
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2011, 10:31 PM

No thread about this yet?

Being a lover of the George R. R. Martin series, I was skeptical about the show. But, I watched the first episode, just to give it the benefit of much doubt. Then, after picking my jaw up from off the floor, I watched it again. Several scenes gave me chills, no pun intended, because they so closely matched my mind's eye from the books. Holy #$%#, it's breathtaking.

My only gripe is the lack of dire wolf pups so far, I hope there are more in the second installment.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2011, 06:05 AM

Never read the books (assume it was books not comics?) but I watched episode one and it was very good. Subsequently discovered the girl who plays Arya is the niece of someone who lives a few doors up the road from me and therefore cousin to two of my oldest friends. Small world.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 21, 2011, 06:35 AM

Yes, it was books. Very large books, in fact. I'm glad to hear that a fan of the books liked the first part of the miniseries. Martin's work has always been impressive (to me) but translating his vision to television or film seemed to be out of reach. I'm heartened by what I've heard from viewers.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

P
Apr 21, 2011, 06:54 AM

I sort-of follow Martin's blog, and he has been very involved in the project. Haven't seen anything of it yet, but what I've seen of the casting has been very promising. I see that it has already been renewed for a second season.

In other news, A Dance with Dragons has a fixed publication date - again - but is STILL not done.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2011, 09:50 AM

Wow, had no idea this was happening. Haven't read the books in years (why would I?!) and generally I'm not a fan of any fiction converted to the screen, but I'll have to give this a shot!
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2011, 10:52 PM

Never read the books. But the first episode on HBO left me very impressed.

OAW

P
May 2, 2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
In other news, A Dance with Dragons has a fixed publication date - again - but is STILL not done.
Now it IS done. Never thought I'd see the day.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2011, 10:26 AM

Now it IS done. Never thought I'd see the day.
It's true, I thought he'd die before it was finished. Unfortunately, there's at least one more left. Odds aren't good that this series will ever finish.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

P
May 2, 2011, 11:56 AM

There are two more planned, The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring, but then I have a copy of Legends where the entire series is shown as 4 books, so we can't be certain. The last two books took very long partially because most of the content in them was never planned to be in the series, and partially because GRRM worked on a lot of other things in parallel - the TV series being one. I think that he'd probably focus on the series if his health started failing, like Stephen King and Dark Tower.

The series will be finished, though, one way or another. Jordan probably had more left to write than GRRM has now, and it's being finished by another writer.

Shaddim  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2011, 12:21 PM

There are two more planned, The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring, but then I have a copy of Legends where the entire series is shown as 4 books, so we can't be certain. The last two books took very long partially because most of the content in them was never planned to be in the series, and partially because GRRM worked on a lot of other things in parallel - the TV series being one. I think that he'd probably focus on the series if his health started failing, like Stephen King and Dark Tower.

The series will be finished, though, one way or another. Jordan probably had more left to write than GRRM has now, and it's being finished by another writer.
However, Jordan was open to the idea of someone else finishing the WoT, Martin doesn't feel that way about ASoIaF.
- Thomas Paine

finboy
May 2, 2011, 03:34 PM

Saw the trailer a few months ago and was not impressed. I guess it's a fan thing.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2011, 03:47 PM

For those watching on Sky Atlantic in the UK, it looks like the 9pm premiere slot is heavily cut. The repeat at half past midnight is 15 minutes longer as an HBO show should be when it has ads in it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2011, 08:07 AM

So, just saw the first two episodes last night.

I'm impressed. Very impressed. I might even go back and start reading the books again - last time was 6 or 7 years ago, or whenever the last one came out.

This is coming from someone who generally thinks adaptations of imaginary novels are weak and "ruin" the books for me. I've hated what the LotR movies did - but, after two episodes, this show is much better than those movies.

It's a real vote of confidence - and at the same time, a great example of how Peter Jackson is a terrible, terrible, donkey-ball-sucking director.

Sealobo
Sep 27, 2011, 08:22 AM

i watched the Game of Thrones series twice... it's totally worthwhile.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
So, just saw the first two episodes last night.

I'm impressed. Very impressed. I might even go back and start reading the books again - last time was 6 or 7 years ago, or whenever the last one came out.
I thought the last one was pretty recent. Like months not years.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2011, 03:20 PM

One just came out. The one before that.

calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2011, 01:44 AM

It's a real vote of confidence - and at the same time, a great example of how Peter Jackson is a terrible, terrible, donkey-ball-sucking director.
Well said. LOTR was f*cking butchered for me after seeing the 'epic' Hollywood-ized movie. It was what I would expect Wheel of Time to be like.

However, I have just finished reading A Game of Thrones and was pondering getting the Blu-ray Box Set when it comes out... I have been convinced!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2011, 06:58 AM

What didn't you like about the LOTR movies?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2011, 08:18 AM

I thought they were absolutely terrible. I tried to watch the first one on Blu-Ray a couple months ago. I've previously declared here and elsewhere that it was the only good one of the bunch, but, wow...no, no it was not. I couldn't even get through it, and just turned it off about halfway through.

Peter Jackson is what I didn't like about the LotR movies. He took what was already a fairly whimsical set of novels and made them more whimsical and sickly sweet - and not in any sort of good way.

(Plus, I feel he took out some of the best parts of the book for no good reason...but I'm sure my opinions on that may be detailed in some older threads around here. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2011, 10:01 AM

How odd. I thought the extended versions were pretty close to the books. The only changes I can think of off hand are the death of Saruman and the omission of Tom Bombadill and the sacking of the Shire.

P
Oct 1, 2011, 11:10 AM

I enjoyed all of them. The first is quite close to the original - it's only the Tom Bombadill part being missing and that Arwen replaces Glorfindel in the race to Rivendel that are really different. If you know the books well, there is more (Gimli apparently doesn't know that Moria has gone dark, as he's pushing to go there. In the book, he and Gloin were in Rivendel because they had lost contact with Moria) but OK, fair enough. If they can't fit it, they can't fit it, and it's a gorgeous movie.

The second takes certain liberties - mainly so they can show off Osgiliath and elves fighting - but they're nothing more than what you'd expect from a movie adaptation. Only thing that bugged me is the way Gimli becomes the humorous sidekick and Legolas is the reckless youngster (he's at least 500 years old at that point). The third strays too far, IMO. With a significant backlog from the second movie to catch up, they spend so much time on general battle scenes at Pelennor that significant events get squeezed up or pushed off screen. Removing the sacking of the Shire removes a significant part of the coming of age part for the hobbits, and there are a million little things that are either missing for no good reason or just changed.

calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2011, 01:00 PM

Only thing that bugged me is the way Gimli becomes the humorous sidekick and Legolas is the reckless youngster (he's at least 500 years old at that point).
Yes. This is one of the major things that annoyed me. When I read the books I thought that Gimli and Legolas were badasses–not a token dwarf and gay elf.

Most of the evil characters were well placed, obviously Smeagol was portrayed very well, yet still I found everything was slightly comical and the themes trite. I guess when I read the books I had a lot more serious viewpoint of the whole thing, which the movie traded for sellability.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2011, 01:10 PM

The Minas Tirith battle. Not nearly as awesome as the books. Made lame, for no reason.

P
Oct 1, 2011, 02:43 PM

The Minas Tirith battle. Not nearly as awesome as the books. Made lame, for no reason.
Oh no, there was a reason: Those battles sell tickets. The battle of Helm's Deep was the one thing people appreciated of the second movie, so they expanded on the Pelennor battle, focusing less on the big events (like when Eowyn fights the Sorcerer-King) and more on huge battles with oliphaunts (sp?) crashing down. Honestly, Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn) is carrying that movie - it would have been so much worse without his portrayal of the ranger becoming a reluctant king.

It is also what saves it from being a fascist dream. The motive of the books is shaky at best, with a bunch of white men saving the world from blacks, Southrons and Easterlings so the Rightful King can return to his throne as the benevolent dictator of the world, but it's tempered by certain elements (Frodo trying against all hope to save Gollum, Aragorn's conciliatory stance, most of the heros leaving the world to its troubles after saving it, the Orcs being more of a tool of the enemy rather than a people, etc). In the movies, there isn't enough time to expand on this, and Aragorn's character is the one thing holding it together.
( Last edited by P; Oct 1, 2011 at 02:51 PM. )

calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2011, 11:45 PM

I'm half way through the second book. While slower than the first, it is far more R-Rated, which is good for HBO's ratings I guess.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2011, 08:05 AM

The sudden popularity of these books is shocking to me. Martin must suddenly be killing it on book sales.

I read the second book this past weekend, and now I'm almost halfway into the third. It's been a long, long time since I picked these up, but they're still as good as I remember. Great stuff.

calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2011, 12:40 PM

Great–I am happy that they are good, rather than some other series that started off with an awesome first novel and got progressively worse... The Ender's Game series comes to mind.

P
Oct 5, 2011, 12:58 PM

IMO, they do get worse. A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons are not as good as the previous ones. It may be that they get better with the last two, since these are sort of an interlude that he didn't intend to write, but I start to worry that he's a bit like Robert Jordan: much better at giving a great introduction and setting the mood than resolving issues.

-Q-
Oct 5, 2011, 02:41 PM

I keep waffling on reading the books, or continuing on with the series and reading the books after its ended. I'm enjoying the series so far, but I don't want to be disappointed in the show once I get into the books and see the difference.

Guess I'll have some time to decide with season 2 not being aired until spring 2012.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 5, 2011, 02:42 PM

I'm in the same boat, and decided not to read the books. I'm impressed with the TV series and don't want to lose that. So I'll read after the series ends. Perhaps Martin will even finish the books by then.
( Last edited by reader50; Oct 5, 2011 at 02:48 PM. )

calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2011, 04:26 PM

Well, if you like Tyrion Lannister's humor, which I very much do, this book'll make you LOL.

burnecali
Banned
Oct 27, 2011, 04:27 AM

I'm so excited! I didn't start watching the DVDs I'm spamming you with until the last couple episodes in season 1! so i'm so excited to see the very beginning!!!

Regards
burnecali
( Last edited by Thorzdad; Oct 27, 2011 at 07:44 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 27, 2011, 06:55 AM

I would like to have the time to just sit down and read the books; my wife is doing so and tells me they're very good. I'm currently planning to get the DVDs when they come out (does anyone doubt they will, and fairly soon after the series finishes?) and then read the books after viewing the series. I've always been impressed with Martin's work.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2011, 01:10 PM

I bought the first five a few weeks ago now. Still not started on them....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2011, 01:28 PM

I re-read the series from the second book onward after making my above post on the HBO series. It's been probably 4 years since reading them, and there were certainly characters that weren't mentioned in the HBO series that I had to re-learn in the second book, but it wasn't too big a deal at all.

The books are honestly great, if fairly complex at times (you're following several different stories at once of course). As many may know I'm generally not a fan of cinematic versions of books, but I thought the first-book HBO series did a great job: they kept the great parts and didn't change them unduly (e.g. in the book when Dany sits through the fire, her hair burns away; in the show it didn't, but that's quite a small point). I don't think you'll lose anything at all from the show by reading the book.

Having said that, I think in later books the story gets slightly more grand - bigger dragons, bigger and badder monsters, huge battles on land and sea, and so on. Hopefully the show is able to handle the sort of FX trickery I think that will require.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 27, 2011, 02:05 PM

e.g. in the book when Dany sits through the fire, her hair burns away; in the show it didn't, but that's quite a small point.
I'd flagged that as a nit. Good to know it was written more logically. Perhaps the actress didn't want to be shaved.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2011, 02:09 PM

Yes, exactly. I think the overall point is that Dany's skin is somehow "fireproof", but her hair isn't...but like you said, that just might be more logistically inconvenient to portray, and doesn't detract from the plot at all. I really think they hit almost all the important plot points.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 27, 2011, 02:57 PM

hmm ... it might have been a more practical problem. Assume she was willing to be shaved - most actresses would to keep a hot-series ticket. And I think they knew Season 2 had been picked up before the finale was shot, so there was no danger of doing it and being let go.

But Season2 will show it growing back slowly, forcing her to be shot in chronological order instead of convenient filming order. A year's worth of hair growth over 2-3 months of filming. They'd have to be swapping wigs.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2011, 03:09 PM

Loved season 1, anxiously awaiting season 2.

The only thing that bothers me is the sometimes over-the-top sex scenes. I mean, I get it, but they are a bit to much at times.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
The only thing that bothers me is the sometimes over-the-top sex scenes. I mean, I get it, but they are a bit to much at times.
What are you, gay?
Gay people srsly dont like teh sex

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2011, 03:24 PM

So I take it you enjoyed the rather drawn-out man on man BJ scene then?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2011, 03:35 PM

****. I forgot about that one - totally could have made a better funny.

It was. So. Very. Awkward.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2011, 03:39 PM

Loved season 1, anxiously awaiting season 2.

What are you, gay?
Gay people srsly dont like teh sex
So I take it you enjoyed the rather drawn-out man on man BJ scene then?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2011, 03:46 PM

****. I forgot about that one - totally could have made a better funny.

It was. So. Very. Awkward.
I got no problem with a little gay sex thrown in, but when you know what is coming (pun certainly intended) and it takes like 5 minutes to end then I drawn the line.

Also the scene with Drago slappin skins is abit much too, yeah the blonde is pretty bangin', but if I wanted hardcore sex the internet is alway close at hand (pun also intended)

P
Oct 30, 2011, 02:25 PM

The entire first season was shot before broadcasting the first show. I think the reason for not shaving was that Dany is supposed to look alien. That's hard to do without the hair - you'd only have the eyes, and that's not enough. They're purple - did anyone notice?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2011, 04:56 AM

That's supposedly her bloodline. The Targaryen family has purple eyes.

P
Oct 31, 2011, 06:12 AM

Yes, it's her bloodline, and so is the silver hair. There is a point there. The Targayens aren't quite human, which is the reason for their inbreeding for hundreds of years - they wanted to preserve that subrace without too much interbreeding with the Andals (the nobles from the Seven Kingdoms), and there are subtle hints that them being of a different race is somehow connected to being able to control dragons.

For this to make some sort of sense on TV, Dany must be visibly alien, and I don't see how they can show that without the hair. If I'm right about one of the other characters, this is also needed to set up a certain reveal a few seasons down the line.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2011, 07:26 AM

Yes, it's her bloodline, and so is the silver hair. There is a point there. The Targayens aren't quite human, which is the reason for their inbreeding for hundreds of years - they wanted to preserve that subrace without too much interbreeding with the Andals (the nobles from the Seven Kingdoms), and there are subtle hints that them being of a different race is somehow connected to being able to control dragons.

For this to make some sort of sense on TV, Dany must be visibly alien, and I don't see how they can show that without the hair. If I'm right about one of the other characters, this is also needed to set up a certain reveal a few seasons down the line.
What character you talkin about? Put it in spoiler if you want (although I can't figure out how to do that...). I'm curious.

P
Oct 31, 2011, 09:05 AM

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2011, 10:30 AM

( Last edited by ShortcutToMoncton; Oct 31, 2011 at 12:25 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules