Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Game of Thrones TV series (SPOILERS)

Game of Thrones TV series (SPOILERS) (Page 8)
andi*pandi
Aug 29, 2017, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I'm thinking Dragonglass arrowheads and spearsheads, Valyrian steel and lots and lots and lots of wildfire....
wildfire is a really good idea, as long as they are away from the ice wall and like, civilization. Any chance they will think of it before WW army reaches winterfell?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2017, 04:49 PM

Do they even have any wildfire left? Tyrion had the fire-master halt production for Cersei for his plan at the Blackwater, then Cersei used hers in rather spectacular fashion which I assume consumed quite a bit more.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2017, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Do they even have any wildfire left? Tyrion had the fire-master halt production for Cersei for his plan at the Blackwater, then Cersei used hers in rather spectacular fashion which I assume consumed quite a bit more.
That I suspect is an interesting issue. Does Tyrion know how its made? Do they need Qyburn to make it? Could Sam work it out?
I guess we'll see.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Aug 29, 2017, 07:16 PM

I thought Qyburn made some?

If sam could cure greyscale, he can make wildfire.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 30, 2017, 09:57 AM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 30, 2017, 12:05 PM

Series-level spoiler prediction I read somewhere else.

andi*pandi
Aug 30, 2017, 12:28 PM

That would be a kick in the pants.

As for Sam, presumably someone wrote down the recipe for wildfire so he can read it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2017, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
That would be a kick in the pants.

As for Sam, presumably someone wrote down the recipe for wildfire so he can read it.
Yes but it would have been Qyburn. Unless Tyrion can remember it, that makes life interesting.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ZimphiresRagingBoner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2017, 09:45 PM

Littlefinger was the best character. **** all of westeros for killing off the most clever, heartwarming character in the show. Sure, he wasn't perfect. Sure, he was sometimes selfish.

He did lots of good things though, started from modest beginnings, was a small business owner, and when he graduated his position to master of coin, he increased the revenue of Kings Landing by 4 times. He saw how much of a dick Joffery was, and arranged to have him killed, then rescued Sansa from dangerous accusations by getting her out of there. He spotted Arya working for Tywin, but he always loved Arya, and did not rat her out. He told Cat about it a few episodes later. He rescued John Snow and all the wildlings AND Sansa during the Battle of the Bastards, which basically saved ALL of westeros from the Night King's wrath.

Littlefinger was a ****ing hero.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2017, 12:08 AM

Chaos is a ladder.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2017, 12:19 AM

Littlefinger was a dead man walking the moment he left Sansa w/ Ramsey, that was his greatest error.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

OreoCookie
Sep 28, 2017, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Littlefinger was a dead man walking the moment he left Sansa w/ Ramsey, that was his greatest error.
Yeah, agreed, that's not something Sansa would ever be able to forget. Plus, the attempt to instigate conflict between the Stark sisters was pedestrian by his standards. Also from a practical perspective, it's clear that the series creators needed the cull some characters to have a more focussed showdown between the undead and the living.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2017, 01:19 AM

I believe his character truly believed that he could just manipulate them at will. That they weren't people to fear and that he could toy with them. Even up to mere seconds before his death he thought he had complete control. Arrogance killed him and he utterly underestimated his opponents, revealing his greatest flaw, not giving young women enough credit.

At least that's my view and it keeps the show from looking bad, so I choose to believe that. Otherwise I'd be so annoyed I couldn't watch it anymore.

OreoCookie
Sep 28, 2017, 01:35 AM

Arrogance killed him and he utterly underestimated his opponents, revealing his greatest flaw, not giving young women enough credit.
I would agree, especially after he started tutoring Sansa. (As an aside, Sansa developed from the most annoying character bar none to someone who has quite a few badass moments.)

P
Sep 28, 2017, 04:10 AM

The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2017, 06:37 AM

Littlefinger was a dead man walking the moment the show decided it wanted to be more about big newsworthy battle set pieces than the type of character development that actually made it good.
Fixed?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

OreoCookie
Sep 28, 2017, 07:28 AM

@P
Good points, Arya said exactly that in the first few minutes of season 1, episode 1.

P
Sep 28, 2017, 07:45 AM

And in other news, Jon Snow and Ygritte are getting married. Not on the show.

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Fixed?
I think his time had come no matter what. GRRM originally plotted this as one book of political maneuvering (Game of Thrones), one book of a civil war (Clash of Kings), one book of reuniting the realm under a Targayen ruler (Dance of Dragons) and one book of fighting the White Walkers (Winds of Winter). Littlefinger is a product of the first era and he has survived in the second, but we are now in the third and moving towards the fourth. His time is over just as much as Ned's was at the end of the first season.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
Sep 28, 2017, 09:08 AM

really good comments P. Arya would never want to be lady of winterfell, but of course people who don't know her would assume that. What had me worried is how paranoid Sansa had become and trusting in Littlefinger.

Agreed w capt also, Littlefinger miscalculated when he gave Sansa to Bolton.

Ham Sandwich
Sep 28, 2017, 06:25 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:53 AM. )

ZimphiresRagingBoner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2017, 12:07 AM

FALSE ACCUSATIONS. I mean. Yeah, it was an error. He didn't know about Ramsey being ****ed up. But thanks to LF, Jon Snow retook winterfell and Ramsey is now dead. Without our hero Petry Baelish, all of westeros would be ****ed! Right proper ****ed!

ZimphiresRagingBoner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2017, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Littlefinger's murder-in-secret at the Moon Door gave me chills. Season after season, however, I just found that he talked more and twisted the plot less. To me, his time seemed up at Season 7. I was expecting Littlefinger to be hung or decapitated, something more dramatic than just little Ayra's throat slit to do justice.

This?! Hot dog I guess he knows "something" after all, don't ya, lucky Jon Snow
He could have convinced the Night King that his enemy was to the North.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2017, 01:20 AM

Good little video.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 5, 2017, 09:46 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:54 AM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2017, 12:01 AM

Second season?

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2017, 01:47 AM

Spam account?

andi*pandi
Nov 3, 2017, 12:50 PM

If Vietnam is only just now getting to season two.... a) DO NOT READ THIS THREAD and b) ENJOY SEASON 3 HAHAHAHAHAHA

andi*pandi
Apr 22, 2019, 03:38 PM

So, folks... Season 8.
I've been rewatching season 6/7 and almost ready to dive into the first episode of 8. I must say I like it better now that pieces are falling into place, and the Stark kids reunited. However at the rate everyone is killing each other (battle of bastards, iron born killing iron born, lannisters decimating tyrells, dragons mowing down lannisters,) the Night King is going to find a ghost town. Also, a plea to make Jon Snow a little less stupid please. Or let Arya do all the planning. And if Bran could not be cryptic, that would be great.

Ham Sandwich
Apr 23, 2019, 07:40 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:20 AM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2019, 05:38 PM

Did I miss something? While everyone is getting drunk and/or sleeping together on their "last night on Earth," where are Dany's dragons...? I mean, two surely outnumbers one.
Eating "whatever they want".

andi*pandi
Apr 26, 2019, 11:43 AM

I for one think they were inspired by Jon and Dany and are off making dragon eggs.

but yes, someone should fly up behind those night generals and drop off a whole bunch of troops with dragon glass armor.

Ham Sandwich
Apr 26, 2019, 12:38 PM

[...deleted...]

andi*pandi
Apr 26, 2019, 01:08 PM

Melisandre should be in Kings Landing stirring the pot.

Good point about unsullied.

The opening credits showed the wall, and winterfell, and then a whole series of tunnels to kings landing. Maybe that's how they retreat. They were hiding a whole bunch of people in the crypt, I would have sent them south. Empty Tyrell castle would be a good place to hole up. Castle Rock, do they still hold that?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2019, 10:47 AM

The crypts are going to be key. Keep in mind the beginning and Bran’s comments on how extensive they are—and how prominent they were last week of course. Also lots of little references to the crypts in previews. Now whether they are escaping and holding off the Night King, or whether he’s coming in from below because he knows about them.....who knows.

I still think the quality of the show has dropped off considerably since they ran ahead of Martin, but they really had no choice—he’s never going to finish. Season 7 was quite a disappointing timeline rush, and this one has mostly been a character send-off setup for this first huge battle (I’m predicting Grey Worm, Missendei, Tormund, Brienne, Beric, Jorah, Theon and maybe Sam all get killed off....and probably one of the dragons in defeating the ice dragon? Maybe Davos too, but the Hound survives for the eventual fight with his zombie brother. It feels like one more main character might go, but the obvious options feel a little too soon (Dany, Jon, Sansa, Jaime, Arya, Tyrion...).

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2019, 11:10 AM

I can see Dani turning on Jon. That woman is ambitious.

Was it Kickboxer where the fighters wrap their hands in bandages, dip them in glue and then glass shards? Might be a good trick with the dragon glass dust.

Would the dust be enough? Aerial dispersal could work wonders.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2019, 10:26 PM

Goddamn

andi*pandi
Apr 29, 2019, 01:44 PM

I have not watched last night's ep yet... but for those who enjoy snarky episode recap/captions, this guy does a great job:

http://chrysreviews.com

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2019, 02:51 PM

Game of Thrones? Game of WTF!!!
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Ham Sandwich
Apr 29, 2019, 05:07 PM

[...deleted...]

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2019, 05:25 PM

So, whaddya think? Was that battle worth the 2-year wait?

Also, Missendei's "fall" at the end was weird...
I thought they did netter battles last season. The Battle of the Bastards for one, and the stand on the island in the frozen lake seemed to have more threat and tension. maybe a a case of too much build up.

I must confess. I just did not see THAT coming, especially at Episode 3 time.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2019, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
I thought they did netter battles last season. The Battle of the Bastards for one, and the stand on the island in the frozen lake seemed to have more threat and tension. maybe a a case of too much build up.

I must confess. I just did not see THAT coming, especially at Episode 3 time.
I actually did. I figured it might be a bit like LOTR where the main battle is won but there's an afterthought (in the books not the movies) where Saruman has sacked The Shire. In this case Cerei is this afterthought obviously.
And we're still on for The Mountain Vs. The hound potentially.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2019, 09:03 PM

I’m pretty confused. If that was it, the Night’s King was one of the worst super villains in recent memory. Unless there’s more coming, the last few seasons have been a complete waste of time..

Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 30, 2019, 01:09 AM

Just like in any zombie movie/series, the real conflicts are always between the living.

andi*pandi
Apr 30, 2019, 09:09 AM

I'm no military strategist,

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2019, 01:47 PM

I mean, I think Weiss and Beniof have really bungled the show. Unless more is coming next episode, the Night King has ended up as a bad guy with no discernible personality, motivation, or explanation—all with a character arc that spans half the series, mind you. Was the fact that he looked like a total badass and killed people supposed to be enough to make it work as a major plot line?

In short, they’ve done a really bad job with the magical elements of the show, particularly once they passed by the books. Nothing is explained. Why does Dany have a connection with her dragons—or the Stark kids with their wolves? What is Bran, or the Children of the Forest, and how is the Night King connected? How does the Lord of Light and Melisandre’s powers fit in? How do the Faceless Man powers work?

Nothing. We just find out that these Things Exist, but they don’t make the show better by explaining why. Too bad....

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2019, 01:52 PM

As I said earlier in this thread once the show greatly outpaced the books it became more or less fanfiction. Not that I find the show completely unenjoyable, but I'm very glad it'll be wrapping up soon. In all fairness the dead were about 5 seconds away from totally annihilating everyone at Winterfell before Arya went all flying-squirrel. I do agree with Shortcut that the culmination of the threat we were introduced to in episode freaking one ended as a kind of a wet fart, heres hoping the final conflict between the North and South holds a bit more weight.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2019, 04:48 PM

To be honest I’d be fine with the resolution, if only we’d had any information at all about the Night King. He literally had zero character development...we still don’t know anything about him!

In fact I’m starting a support group for the Night King’s passing as the OG climate change warrior. A WARMING WESTEROS WAS PUTTING THE NATURAL HABITAT OF THE WHITE WALKER AT RISK!!!!

andi*pandi
Apr 30, 2019, 05:38 PM

I know, I was waiting for NK to whisper something sinister and meaningful to Bran. HELLO COUSIN or WE WILL RISE. The show didn't use magic as well as it should have.

To win over the people, dany needs to tell them to flee kings landing before she obliterates it. No one needs to march south.

P
Apr 30, 2019, 05:40 PM

All caught up, but this was... long, epic and somewhat silly.

1) They used the Dothraki as shock troops against an enemy that doesn’t shock.
2) The army of the dead are standing still just outside the trench, and the archers... watch?
3) Arya has Persistent Spell-like effect: Plot Armor, +50 AC. Probably Evasion and some pretty high saves as well.
4) So Drogon lives. We don’t know about Rhaegal - he dropped, but dragons are tough and he might live.
5) Dany, you know that you have to be Targaryen to ride a dragon, so Jon’s announcement couldn’t have come as that large a surprise.

But anyway... it’s a bit up in the air now, but I suppose it is all about killing Cersei now. Not that the forces of good have much manpower, or allies, left.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2019, 07:57 PM

I do wonder if Dany might turn on Jon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules