Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Game of Thrones TV series (SPOILERS)

Game of Thrones TV series (SPOILERS) (Page 9)
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2019, 09:47 PM

Well they have that new surface to air crossbow program goin on...
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

andi*pandi
May 1, 2019, 08:50 AM

I think they want us to think that dany and jon will backstab each other.... I don't think so. One, lurrrrve. Two, I don't think Jon wants the throne that badly, now that the night king is gone he's going to chill for a while.

I believe a dragon torched the megacrossbow, but qyborn could have more being made.

andi*pandi
May 1, 2019, 12:41 PM

At least Ghost is still alive, people. He charged with the Dothraki but then appeared in the crypt with Sansa.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2019, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I think they want us to think that dany and jon will backstab each other.... I don't think so. One, lurrrrve. Two, I don't think Jon wants the throne that badly, now that the night king is gone he's going to chill for a while.
He doesn't want the throne, but he won't hand over the north either because the lords won't stand for it. Not that there is anyone left in the north except the last few Starks and a bunch of southerners. And Gilly.
More to the point, I don't think she understands that he doesn't want her throne. Or that anyone might not want it. If not now then later.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 3, 2019, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
All caught up, but this was... long, epic and somewhat silly.

1) They used the Dothraki as shock troops against an enemy that doesn’t shock.
I give it a pass for the cinematic effect of watching these fearsome warrior head out on horseback and then just see the flames get snuffed out. We still hadn't actually seen the army yet, and it was incredibly powerful to get the sense of unknown and foreboding.

4) So Drogon lives. We don’t know about Rhaegal - he dropped, but dragons are tough and he might live.
GOT rules: If you didn't see him die, he's not dead. If you saw him die, he might not be dead. If you don't want him to die, he probably will.

But anyway... it’s a bit up in the air now, but I suppose it is all about killing Cersei now. Not that the forces of good have much manpower, or allies, left.
I'm wondering if there won't still be a magic enemy like the Children of the Forest or the First Men or some form of gods.

andi*pandi
May 3, 2019, 03:57 PM

I got the impression the last of the children of the forest died with hodor, but there could be more. For that matter benjen could still be undead.

Also did the night king have like, a gold stash somewhere, to overbid the iron bank for golden company?

P
May 5, 2019, 05:30 AM

It was pointed out to me that if Rhaegal were dead, he would have risen when the Night King called all the other dead back to life. So he (or she) probably lives.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
May 6, 2019, 11:50 AM

Dany and the North don't deserve to win if they continue to be so $%^&*() stupid.

Ham Sandwich
May 6, 2019, 01:25 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:21 AM. )

Thorzdad
May 6, 2019, 04:05 PM

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 6, 2019, 05:44 PM

E4 should have been called the Gathering of the Idiots

List of Idiots this episode

Jon - just generally
Danny - tactically
Brienne - give it UP girl
jamie - oh man
Varys - one ploy too far?
Gendry - Yeah good luck with that
Tyrion - proof that growing up with someone doesn't mean you know someone
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

P
May 6, 2019, 06:40 PM

Sansa betrays her word about 15 minutes after giving it.

Dany is airborne over the open sea, and somehow doesn’t see a big fleet?

I actually buy them killing dragons with the ballistae. The dragons are young and their scales aren’t hard yet, and there is a point in the history where a ballista in a tower kills a dragon, so a smaller ballista on a ship could kill a young dragon - fair enough. What I don’t buy is those spear going straight through a ship. They made more damage than a cannon would have. I could see them going through the wood and getting stuck like a harpoon, thereby hampering navigation and letting the superior ironborn sailors board them, but nooo, they had to destroy the ships.

Also, if the ships were destroyed and they swim ashore on Dragonstone, how do they get to the mainland?

Jamie is cool though, he is just going to kill Cersei and said nasty things to Brienne to keep her from coming. Tyrion also knows what he is doing - he tried his best to talk Cersei down, even if he had to know that it was unlikely to succeed. Also, some wheels should be turning in Euron’s mind now that he hears Tyrion knows Cersei is pregnant if they only just had sex.

Bran is useless now, because he doesn’t care about those struggles.

Enron was looking towards the sky at the end of the episode?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
May 6, 2019, 06:43 PM

It's the compactness of it. Possibly days or weeks could have occured between Bran telling them and Sansa telling tyrion, but the way the show was squished, it seems like 5 min later. That "battle" with Euron lasted 2 minutes. Apparently Dany's ships don't have weapons.

It's convenient for the plot to not see the big fleet. Writers wanted to get rid of another dragon to stress Dany out.

I don't think all the ships were destroyed.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2019, 10:34 PM

Season 7 suffered greatly from plot compactness. Turns out season 8 is even worse.

The show is objectively not good now. Lots of money, massive production—a Hollywood budget on TV. But it’s good only for what came before, not what is happening now.

buenavides1
Banned
May 6, 2019, 10:49 PM

There's a Starbucks cup on Winterfell.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; May 7, 2019 at 11:39 AM. )

Ham Sandwich
May 7, 2019, 07:18 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:22 AM. )

andi*pandi
May 7, 2019, 10:24 AM

https://chrysreviews.com again totally gets it:

Ham Sandwich
May 7, 2019, 12:05 PM

[...deleted...]

andi*pandi
May 7, 2019, 01:09 PM

They never really made use of the "warging into animals" skill properly. Would it be OP? I don't know, but they have it, and don't use it, so it's stupid.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 8, 2019, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Sansa betrays her word about 15 minutes after giving it.
But Tyrion is so intuitive - she was practically bawling and he someone figured out that something was wrong.

Dany is airborne over the open sea, and somehow doesn’t see a big fleet?
They were hiding behind a small mountain.

I actually buy them killing dragons with the ballistae.
The unbelievable part is that their first...like...five shots are direct hits, fortunately not on Dany's dragon. The next 400 shots were all complete misses.

What I don’t buy is those spear going straight through a ship. They made more damage than a cannon would have.
When you're chopping a log, do you use a blunt, rounded axe, or a sharp, pointy axe? Does the harpoon have more mass than a cannonball? If it can splinter the wood and has more energy than a cannonball, it could more easily go through.

Bran is useless now, because he doesn’t care about those struggles.
Bran's always been useless.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2019, 03:48 PM

Jon: rehoming your dog doesn't mean you aren't a heartless idiot. He lost an ear! Hug that dog! Also, bandages! Blankets! let him on the couch!
100% most heart-wrenching moment of the series so far is Ghost giving the sad face.

Rhaegal: RIP. You were a good dragon. Sorry you had to be gotten rid of to make the next battle more challenging. Kind of makes your surviving winterfell somewhat anticlimactic.
The entire show is swinging between false hope and no hope. GOT rule #3 from five days ago: If you don't want him to die, he probably will. Dragon lives! False hope! We like the dragon! Dragon dead. (Rule 2 lives in the back of my mind, but the harpoon through the neck and whats-his-name saying he watched it sink make it seem pretty cut and dry)

Anyway, maybe it wouldn't have seemed so scrambled and meaningless if it had been two episodes and the battle had been a battle
Ep3 was meaningful because it took us to "no hope" once the Night King raised everyone back up. The sea defeat had to be crushing and Dany had to lose a child and a friend because now she's piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed, and we know that because the last five minutes of the episode was her making super intense grumpy faces while walking away.

andi*pandi
May 8, 2019, 03:53 PM

If they still had magic, rhaegal could have been raised up. Where's all the other red priestesses? Bran could talk to the undead night king, can he talk to a dead dragon? Would have been better if he'd used those damn birds of his as scouts. Oh, plot twists that might have been.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2019, 03:58 PM

I'm forgetful - has Bran ever actually helped anyone?

andi*pandi
May 8, 2019, 04:54 PM

being bait for night king (not that that was best plan)
knowing arya needed that dagger and giving it to her
confirming the truth of who Jon's parents were
Letting arya and sansa know what went down in kings landing with ned and littlefinger
not tattling on jamie because he knows what will happen with jamie and cersei

err, drawing a blank now. there are many more places he could have been, that's for sure.

P
May 9, 2019, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
But Tyrion is so intuitive - she was practically bawling and he someone figured out that something was wrong.
So refuse to tell him exactly what it is.

They were hiding behind a small mountain.
In the middle of the sea. Exactly how high and how steep is that mountain if you can hide behind it from something that flies in the clouds?

When you're chopping a log, do you use a blunt, rounded axe, or a sharp, pointy axe? Does the harpoon have more mass than a cannonball? If it can splinter the wood and has more energy than a cannonball, it could more easily go through.
A harpoon powered by human muscle (because by the reload speed, they’re just pulling the frigging thing to load it) is not going to have more energy than a cannonball. If it were sharp it could punch through, sure, but that’s not what happens. The harpoons obliterate the planks entire and the ships sink rapidly. A small thin hole that made it leak - sure, I could see that (although really, those planks would have to be thin and dry for that to work in practice) but that is the furthest thing from what happens.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2019, 08:10 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2McqBTxK6cI

It's cranked, or at least the old version was. The small, weak harpoon was capable of shattering bone, a harpoon with a sharper tip and more mass could do more damage.

I think we can all agree that they're magic.
( Last edited by Laminar; May 9, 2019 at 02:18 PM. )

Ham Sandwich
May 9, 2019, 01:18 PM

[...deleted...]

andi*pandi
May 9, 2019, 02:50 PM

After all the free advertising Starbucks got out of this, the least they could do was throw a bone to that local irish shop.

P
May 10, 2019, 04:37 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2McqBTxK6cI

It's cranked, or at least the old version was. The small, weak harpoon was capable of shattering bone, a harpoon with a sharper tip and more mass could do more damage.

I think we can all agree that they're magic.
Yes, they're magic - and this thing about weapons being super effective versus fixed medieval defenses is nothing new, LOTR does the same thing - but it is so unnecessary. Have the iron islanders use rams, have them attack the sails with those harpoons, have a real sea battle.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2019, 07:15 AM

The timbers in boat hulls are curved. Are they under any tension?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2019, 03:03 PM

I've seen people complaining that this season is just short breaks between high-budget ridiculous over the top action sequences.

I'd argue that the last seven seasons were foreplay for the high budget action sequences that we've all wanted to see.

In Heroes season 1, we spent all season with this awesome character development and these two main enemies developing their powers leading up to a huge battle of superpowers. In the finale, the whole thing fizzled and one of them ran away. There was no battle.

We've put up with feelings, emotions, and internal struggles for seven seasons, I want to watch some dragons wreck some shit.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2019, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Well they have that new surface to air crossbow program goin on...
Well even I didn’t expect like three direct hits on a flying dragon from a moving ocean-based platform a mile away.....

This show, man. Benioff and Weiss. Ugh.

andi*pandi
May 10, 2019, 03:18 PM

I want to watch some dragons wreck some shit.
Me too, but they've stupidly super easy killed off 2 of the dragons, made superpowered crossbows, and now the enemy is the only one thinking ahead.

Remaining dragon is toast.

Also, I'm sure they left a lot of that battle footage on the cutting room floor. Should have been an episode, and better written.

Ham Sandwich
May 10, 2019, 03:22 PM

[...deleted...]

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 11, 2019, 05:40 AM

Best theory so far...

Ned in the shower turns to Caitlin and says "I've just had this strange dream"

P
May 11, 2019, 05:37 PM

The dragons being killed by a ballista is actually eminently believable. For one thing, there is one case of a dragon being killed by one in the history, and for another, the dragons don’t become invulnerable until they’re older. The young dragons are still growing, and like the scalp of a baby, the scales are soft. It is actually hitting one that is unlikely, but in an ambush, flying low... sure. Could happen. Still leaves the problem of how Dany didn’t see that fleet, but let’s not go there again.

More dragons is very possible. Dragonstone is supposedly full of dragon eggs. The problem is that they don’t hatch - they’re fossilized - but so were the first three and Dany made that happen. That said, I don’t think they’re going there.

andi*pandi
May 11, 2019, 07:02 PM

that the ballista itself would work, sure... however what's implausible is that the hit was aimed from a moving boat on moving seas, by a pirate who presumably is not an expert in such weapons... and got 3 such shots off in quick succession. they needed to make the battle with cersei hard, they removed a dragon, easy peasy.

I think Tyrion should sneak in the mud gate and see if there's remaining wildfire anywhere about.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2019, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Best theory so far...

Ned in the shower turns to Caitlin and says "I've just had this strange dream"
The "It was all a dream ending" should have retired after this:

https://vimeo.com/79603607

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2019, 10:22 PM

Ok.....now that was, finally, a good episode.

andi*pandi
May 13, 2019, 10:36 AM

First half, maybe. I am not cool with where they took the second half and Dany's character arc. Possibly with more time to evolve it, but two days of no sleep or snacks turns her into her dad? Someone hand her a snickers bar.

I cheered when those stupid ballista were so easy to defeat, even if it made no sense that a) all of a sudden dany understands aerial tactics; b) all of a sudden the ballista are heavy and hard to aim. I did not cheer when Dany ignored the bells.

Arya should have helped the hound. She went from a badass to a scared little girl whose only purpose was to witness children dying. Jon already saw that.

Jamie, I could swear there was a moment he almost broke Cersei's neck, but then realized they were about to die anyway.

So, Dany dies next ep, right? What a waste of time.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2019, 01:48 PM

I mean.....I’ve been blaming Benioff and Weiss (and the writers) since season 6, so I completely agree on the ham-fisted heel turn with minimal plot development. Pacing has been a serious issue for some time now, and cutting whole weeks to months out of the timeline from episode to episode will impact character development.

But I think this was the right outcome and it was telegraphed to some degree. Dany has always had some tyrant in her—it’s not like she doesn’t have a long history on the show of burning people who oppose her. The entire Tyrion/Varys/Jon conundrum has been about whether she is too much like her father.

Basically, I’d like to point out the irony of people today claiming it was all a waste of time. What did you expect—Dany and Jon living happily ever after on the throne? What series have you been watching?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2019, 02:48 PM

Arya should have helped the hound. She went from a badass to a scared little girl whose only purpose was to witness children dying. Jon already saw that.
I thought it was a pretty effective way to convey the terror at “ground level” of the dragon attack, but it was a bit weird when she booked it so quickly. Was personally hoping for her to show up with Jamie and Cersei....

Jamie, I could swear there was a moment he almost broke Cersei's neck, but then realized they were about to die anyway.
I didn’t think so—I thought it was genuine. Another mediocre character swerve—after leaving her and going north and finally getting it on with Brienne, turns out it was Cersei after all? The things we do for love...

So, Dany dies next ep, right? What a waste of time.
Feels like it. I’m personally hoping that everyone’s forgotten about breaking the wheel and it ends with Dany sitting alone on the throne with her kingdom of ash....and the Night King’s little brother scheming to avenge the family name. Right?!?

andi*pandi
May 13, 2019, 02:54 PM

I certainly did not expect happily ever after, but I don't feel the writing flowed into this. I might have been ok with dany continuing to torch the city if cersei had been smart enough to have a crossbow at the red keep and was firing. I would definitely been ok with torching the red keep with cersei, mountain, and Q inside it, before arya, hound, or jaime ever got there. As I said, totally cool with Jaime taking out cersei.

If Dany does go for Sansa, I do hope Bran snaps out of it to warn her. And I do hope she's retamed those dogs to act on her command.

Dany on a throne of ash, could have merit.

P
May 13, 2019, 04:34 PM

Best comment from Reddit: I wonder how all the people who named their daughters Daenerys or Khaleesi are going to handle this?

Anyways: Kings Landing is gone, it is dead, as destroyed as Old Valyria. This could mean that nobody will sit the throne now, that the Seven Kingdoms will become Seven Kingdoms again - or nine, if you count Dragonstone and the Iron Islands. This would make our kings Jon, Tyrion, Robert Arryn, Bronn, Gendry, Edmure Tully and whoever the new Prince of Dorne is. Yara has the Iron Islands, and someone gets Dragonstone.

I don’t think Dany gets that. They have been hinting at times that she wants to go back to Essos and break a few more chains, and that is a possibility, but I suspect that she is now the end boss. That makes Davos Seaworth the next in line, I suppose.

Bronn’s claim might not stick without an army to back it up, so we might get a Florent or something in the Reach. Doesn’t really matter.

I think Arya was running around on the ground because her arc isn’t done. She gave up on vengeance, and then she saw even more innocents die. Where that takes her, we don’t know.

I also think that the heel turn for Dany was one thing GRRM mandated. They wouldn’t do that without the same thing happening in the books. The only fault is that the turn cake too quickly, wasn’t telegraphed.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 13, 2019, 05:53 PM

but on the plus side...

Cleganebowl!

P
May 13, 2019, 06:10 PM

Oh there is a lot on the plus side. I quite liked this episode.

Note the appearance of Jon closely mirrors what Ned looked like, and Daenerys is similar to both Viserys and Aerys. Arya also looks a bit like Ned, but more than anything like Lyana.

Btw, Barristan Selmy (Ian McElhinney) claims that books six and seven are written but were held back to allow the show to finish.

Ham Sandwich
May 13, 2019, 08:44 PM

[...deleted...]

Ham Sandwich
May 13, 2019, 09:09 PM

[...deleted...]

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2019, 07:05 AM

Arya's list is done. Unless Dany is on it now....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 14, 2019, 04:14 PM

Did Cleganebowl live up to expectations?

I thought so and had at least two fist pump moments

Definitely an episode highlight, unlike cyptgate aka the flattening.

Forum Links
Forum Rules