Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Switching from iBook to Powermac...some questions

Switching from iBook to Powermac...some questions
el lindo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2002, 04:08 PM

I'm selling my iBook 700 and I'm going to buy the 867 MHz Quicksilver model from the Apple education store. Will I be able to hook up a VGA CRT to it or will I need an adaptor? If so, how much will that cost? Also, is the quicksilver series very loud? I've heard compaints that the newer towers are too loud. Thanks.

aloner
Nov 4, 2002, 04:22 PM

A DVI-VGA adaptor was included with my PowerMac 867DP., so you don�t need to buy one.
Yes, the new towers with dual processors generate more heat, and also the new towers are prepared to be upgraded with up to four disk drives, more pci cards,......and that generates heat, so they need powerful fans and are very loud.
Too loud? that�s up to you. For me, the noise from the powersupply fans is not that bad.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2002, 04:44 PM

I have the new DP 1 gHz and at first I thought the fans were insanely loud, but then I realized that I was on cape cod and there was no noise around to speak of. When I moved to New York City I stopped noticing it Now I live in Oakland which is a medium sized city and though it is too loud for me to sleep in the same room as it, it is tolerable when it's on and utterly silent when it's asleep (unlike my old Yosemite which was super noisy, even when it was sleeping). I don't really know about the Quicksilvers, but I think they are less noisy than the new ones, so you should be aiight.

el lindo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2002, 04:49 PM

Cool, thanks for the info, guys.

Forum Links
Forum Rules