Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Why doesn't my iBook sleep very well?

Why doesn't my iBook sleep very well?
Juke-box
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2003, 03:48 PM

When i put the iBook to sleep, it flickers, consistently, in 5second intervals. the screen wakes while the book is still closed, and i can hear the disc spinning. the apple logo on the back lights up for a sec and dies back down until the next interval.

what's wrong?

thx
juke

aloner
Nov 22, 2003, 05:11 PM

i had a similar problem. After some testing, I found out the wireless mouse I was using was causing the sleep problems.
I removed the mouse and now my iBooks sleeps like a baby.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2003, 07:17 PM

Sometimes certain peripherals or software can cause sleep problems. What do you have plugged in/running when you close the lid?

Also, if you ever popped the keyboard off to install RAM or an Airport card, check that everything is seated properly. If the keyboard is sticking up, the screen may be pressing a key and waking the computer up constantly.

Juke-box  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2003, 03:13 PM

what do you mean about Peripherals? can they be programs, or do they have to be hardware?

so far, i have not added any hardware besides a set of speakers that use the audio out jack.

and about the keyboard, my keyboard doesn't exactly sit flush to the bottom. around the 4567 keys, you can feel it bounce a little. can this be causing the problem? under the keyboard there is nothing that is making the keyboard sit like this. it just does. i noticed there was a magnet on one side, but unfortunately, there is no magnet under the side that the keyboard is bouncing.

and another problem that i have is when i bring the book back to life, it makes a noise, similar to when i press a number key when surfing the web.not really sure how to explain it, but it is definitely a noise from a key press. how can i fix this too?

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 10:46 PM

Peripherals are hardware (mouse, keyboard, printer, PDA, scanner, etc).

Above the 6 key (between F5 and F6), there's a small tab with a clear screw. When you turn the screw either 1/4 or 1/2 turn, the tab will poke out, and should lock into place underneath the iBook's casing. Check that this tab is under the case, and not over. This may be the cause of the key presses. There should be some detailed pictures of this in the iBook's manual in the section for upgrading RAM or adding an Airport card.

Forum Links
Forum Rules