Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > [help] safari won't connect half the time

[help] safari won't connect half the time
jasonlund
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2008, 11:49 PM

i've recently upgraded to leopard and i love it, except for one VERY ANNOYING bug in safari. safari will randomly tell me i am not connected to the internet. i run the network diagnostic and it tells me i am connected to the internet. refreshing or reentering the webpage in the address bar does not work. and sometimes if it loads a page it will load it just as text, with no images loading. it is only safari that does this. firefox works like a charm. i am running 3.0.4. is this the latest version? i checked software update.

is this a known bug? could someone PLEASE tell me how to fix this?

Cold Warrior
Jan 7, 2008, 03:22 PM

That's the latest version. Are you running any extensions or hacks, such as SafariBlock or SafariStand? Any leftover from before Leopard?

Also, what's your Mac hardware and are you running 10.5.1 or just 10.5?

jasonlund  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2008, 04:39 PM

i have saft and inquisitor, both up to date, and they were the only ones running before the install. i am running a macbook 2 ghz and 10.5.1

Cold Warrior
Jan 7, 2008, 05:09 PM

when did it start doing this -- before or after the update to 10.5.1 and or after the recent security update?

jasonlund  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2008, 01:20 AM

i don't recall it doing this for a little after i upgraded to leopard and i'm fairly certain that the 10.5.1 upgrade was available before i upgraded. if the security update was after the 10.5.1 upgrade, then i would have to say it was that. is there anyway to remove the security update?

jasonlund  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2008, 02:06 AM

correction, i hadn't installed the security update. i just did and safari is still being stupid. i can't recall anything specifically that i did before the problem started to occur but i can tell you it didn't start right after i upgraded to leopard.

hokie17
Jan 9, 2008, 07:17 AM

I have this problem on my MBP too, but it's not just Safari, it's the whole Airport connection. To get it back I have to turn Airport off then back on.

I have the 802.11n Fast Ethernet AEBS and am running 10.5.1. The only Safari addon is Saft, but I'm fairly certain that's not the culprit since Mail is affected also.
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

caleach
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2008, 12:10 AM

I have been having the problem with Safari which seems to have happened since I installed Leopard and the new version of Safari. My homepage is set for Apple.com and I get the annoying message saying I am not connected to the Internet. I run the diagnostics which tell me I'm connected but it won't connect to Apple. I can go to other sites with no problem and also have no problem with Firefox.

It's not an Airport issue since I'm using AT&T's wireless router.

Any one else having the same issues?

WJD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2008, 02:39 AM

Safari won't open ANY pages, so if I try to open the Itunes store, it won't work. Firefox works fine. I connected this laptop with an ethernet cable and Safari worked fine. It just seems to be an issue with the airport. I 've tried it at home and work with the same results.

jasonlund  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2008, 12:30 AM

well since this has just turned into a thread where everyone complains about safari, can someone link me to a safari 2 install so i can see if that works?

Cold Warrior
Jan 12, 2008, 10:59 AM

Well, since Firefox works in all instances, it looks like a system issue with the way Safari is interacting with OS X. Which makes me thing something with your installation. If there were a wholesale airport problem, it should affect Firefox.

Have you tried an archive-install?

jasonlund  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2008, 01:53 AM

well actually firefox does very rarely do this. however, it is very brief, usually doesn't happen and just started happening. if i restart firefox is goes away. it actually did it before i checked here.

what is archive-install and how do i do it?

and if you think it might be my network, i don't have airport. i have verizon fios and the default router to go along with it. but i had it before i upgraded and it worked fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules