Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Batman Begins

Batman Begins
Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2005, 08:16 AM

Just saw it and loved it. Best movie of the summer and of the year so far. Great casting, good direction and super action. Lots of nods to the history (anyone catch the Batman homages such as the scene emulating one from The Dark Knight Returns?

Bale did a very good job as Batman and as Bruce Wayne. Michael Caine was excellent and I liked how Gordon actually played a role unlike the other movies where he just stands around. In fact, other than Katie Holmes, there wasn't a weak spot in any of the casting, imo.

Already looking forward to seeing it on Friday (we're taking the sis-in-law to dinner and to see it for her birthday).

Oh, and the end was a nice touch as well. I'm ready for the sequel.

Speaking of which, stories out on how the casting for the Joker may already be down to three actors: some Aussie who I'm not familiar with, Crispin Glover (who has the physical looks and wacky nature to do the Joker justice) and ... Mark Hamill.

I think that would be inspired casting. We know he has the voice and he'll be in makeup anyway.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2005, 08:32 AM

I'm not quite sure why, but I'm not that excited about this movie. The previews don't do anything for me. I'll probably see it eventually, but I'm much more excited about the FF movie.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2005, 08:55 AM

Haven't seen the movie yet but will get to see/touch the new batmobile at this weekend's race at MIS. They will have two: one that will pace the first lap on Sunday and one that fans can get up to and take pictures with.

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2005, 08:57 AM

FF looks bad. I think it's going to be a dud. Batman Begins is easily the best comic to movie, even better than Spidey 2. And with Superman Returns next year, it appears that it's DC's turn to shine and Marvel to shrink back a bit from the movie industry.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2005, 09:01 AM

The Batmobile was on Top gear on Sunday night, It was custom built from scratch, not a 4x4 with new bodywork to make it look futuristic (ahem, Judge Dredd, cough). It is a fully working car complete with pop out guns, air brakes and the jet flames from the back. Apparently all the car stunts and jumps were filmed, with no CGI cars in place of it anywhere in the film. Oh yeah, and they got very smug over the fact that it was built in the UK, because the American builders saw the plans for the car and refused, saying it couldn't be built because of the reversed axles and stuff.

The film looks good too .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2005, 09:05 AM

I am a Batman fan so a return to the screen is welcome, especially something closer to the original. Hopefully they'll keep the dark tone and cast in future movies.
"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2005, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
FF looks bad.
That's how I feel about Batman Begins. The idea of Bale as Bruce sounded good when I heard it, but I don't like him at all in the previews.

Batman Begins is easily the best comic to movie, even better than Spidey 2.
I seriously doubt it. "Easily"?

And with Superman Returns next year, it appears that it's DC's turn to shine and Marvel to shrink back a bit from the movie industry.
I'm not excited by that one either. I know Singer's directing, but I'm still more than a little leery. We'll see.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2005, 09:44 AM

i am refusing to see FF because of Jessica Alba as Sue Storm.

I love JA but don't force her down my thoat.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2005, 09:47 AM

I plan on seeing it, but I do have my reservations and my expectations are pretty low. After all, you're the one who loved SW: 3... your recommendation leaves me a bit uncomfortable.

Anyhow, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2005, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear
I love JA but don't force her down my thoat.
And what, exactly, would be wrong with that?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2005, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by lavar78
I seriously doubt it. "Easily"?
Why don't you go see it and then decide?

I can't wait to see it (only a few hours until I do).

All glory to the hypnotoad.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2005, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82
Why don't you go see it and then decide?
I don't need to see it to think that's hyperbole. Besides, since I'm going to see it eventually, I don't want to go into it with unrealistic expectations. That's what killed Forrest Gump for me.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 15, 2005, 10:26 AM

Looking forward to seeing this movie... it looks to be better by far than ROTS. If so, it'll be the best so far this summer.

- Batman rules.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear
i am refusing to see FF because of Jessica Alba as Sue Storm.
I feel the same way about Michael Chiklis as Ben Grimm/The Thing. Can somebody please explain to me how this pudgey, balding actor (does anyone remember "The Commish?") got to be an action star? I know, I know...he plays some badass cop role on TNT. Still, I notice they didn't cast Dennis Franz as Wolverine.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2005, 10:31 AM

Batman Begins will be a hit.

Fantastic Four will suck. There's no way on Earth that FF can be a good movie unless you are totally into cheesy, campy, horribly cast movies. The cast selection alone is what will keep me from seeing it -- not to mention the preview special effects look like something my niece could do. No one in their right comic book mind could picture Alba as Sue Storm Richards, and The Thing just looks like pure crap.

We'll see, though.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2005, 10:31 AM

Part of the reason I want to see FF is that it looks so much better than I ever thought it would (could?). I suppose that god-awful unreleased one from the '90s lowered my expectations significantly.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 10:37 AM

looking foward to seeing it friday.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2005, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
I plan on seeing it, but I do have my reservations and my expectations are pretty low. After all, you're the one who loved SW: 3... your recommendation leaves me a bit uncomfortable.

Anyhow, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
SW 3 was worth the price of admission. A good popcorn movie. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being best), I'd give SW3 5, Mr & Mrs Smith a 5, Hitchhiker's Guide a 1 and Batman begins a 7.5

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2005, 12:16 PM

What about Sin City? I still haven't seen it.

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2005, 12:19 PM

Haven't seen it yet either. Couldn't catch it at Santa Monica on its opening weekend in the US before catching a flight and it still hasn't shown in Singapore.

Of course, the weekend it opens here, I may be in New York City and Charlotte.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 12:59 PM

Damn, now I REALLY wanna see it think this weekend will be the moment. Place is kinda crowded around premiers.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2005, 07:48 PM

Well I saw a matinee today, and it is definitely BY FAR the best comic book movie I've ever seen. And I think I've seen them all.

And that's not hyperbole.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2005, 08:11 PM

I'm going in about an hour to see Batman. I hope its as good as everyone says.

Also, the Fantastic Four looks damn cool. I seriously thought it was going to flop, or be a horrible incarnation, but the previews actually look good. Flame on!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2005, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi
I feel the same way about Michael Chiklis as Ben Grimm/The Thing. Can somebody please explain to me how this pudgey, balding actor (does anyone remember "The Commish?") got to be an action star? I know, I know...he plays some badass cop role on TNT. Still, I notice they didn't cast Dennis Franz as Wolverine.

Michael Chiklis rocks in The Shield, and I think he'll make a good Ben Grimm. I can't stand the costume though.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2005, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Michael Chiklis rocks in The Shield.

Great show, very intense, although the first season was definitely the most intense (and graphic). They seem to have scaled back the last 2 seasons.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2005, 10:26 PM

Well I saw a matinee today, and it is definitely BY FAR the best comic book movie I've ever seen. And I think I've seen them all.

And that's not hyperbole.
If you say so. I absolutely love Spider-Man 2. The likelihood of a movie about Bats being better than a great movie starring my favorite (mainstream) super hero is slim to none. I'm just hoping it's better than Batman Forever.

BTW, I'm the only person here who hates the Bat Hummer. Lame.

If you've seen both Punisher movies and Captain America, you deserve some kind of medal.

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2005, 12:11 AM

The Batmobile works if you've seen the movie. Batman Begins owns Spidey 2.

And yes, I've seen both Punisher movies, the Captain America film (the Red Skull was Italian?), all of the Superman movies including Quest For Peace, the Corbin FF, the Spider-man tv show in the 70s and the worst superhero movie of all time, Batman & Robin.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 12:13 AM

Holy moly. The Batman rocks in this film. Having lost all faith in Batman movies due to the last two failure, this movie is everything I wanted in a Batman movie. Its dark, gritty, and Bruce Wayne is actually played by a guy who looks like he could beat someone up. Clearly, someone out there finally figured out how to make a great batman film. (Though I did love the Tim Burton Batman films. They have a special place in my heart)

The Bat hummer is a prototype. I mean, in all honesty, you can't just go from scratch to having a bad-ass Batmobile. You gotta start somewhere.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 12:41 AM

Looking forward to seeing this now after reading this thread...

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2005, 01:20 AM

Saw it last night. Awesome! This is one for the books. Great cast used well, and something not found in the other films, empathy for Bruce Wayne and the many layers of his pain and confusion in how to make his way through the world. His decisions aren't easy and he doesn't have all the answers.

The car was fine and made sense considering the realistic police chase in the movie. Anyone see any car chases on tv knows they chase you with more than a few cars as seen in the first couple films (and dropped in Schumaker CGI land). The chase looked at home with the many broadcast on CNN.

People can pick apart the story from the source (and sure there were plot inconsistencies, but in what movie aren't there?), but this film stands on it's own not only as a "comic book" movie, but as a movie.
DRM

---------------------------------
Gigabit Ethernet G4 OWC mercury upgrade 1.33
15" Powerbook G4 1.5GB/80GB/SuperDrive

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 01:22 AM

I really enjoyed it. The car was bitchin. The casting was cool. I liked the dark look of the movie. I never followed the comic books or anything. It was a tad confusing to me trying to figure out who all the bad guys were, and who the hell the Scarecrow was. I have always thought of Gary Oldman as a really nasty and very cool villian (5th Element, True Romance, The Professional), so seeing him as a good cop was the only thing I really did not like. I thought all the previous films sucked bad.

So far the best film I have seen this year. Really enjoyed Cinderella Man until I read how that Max Baer dude was totally and unfairly demonized in the movie by Ron Howard. Mr. and Mrs. Smith was entertaining but kind of silly.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 01:30 AM

The Batmobile works if you've seen the movie. Batman Begins owns Spidey 2.

And yes, I've seen both Punisher movies, the Captain America film (the Red Skull was Italian?), all of the Superman movies including Quest For Peace, the Corbin FF, the Spider-man tv show in the 70s and the worst superhero movie of all time, Batman & Robin.
Well, that explains it—you have no taste. Seriously though, Uma Thurman and all of those ridiculous puns by Mr. Freeze make Batman & Robin better than the first Punisher, at the very least. B&R and Captain America are craptacular—so bad, they're unintentionally hilarious—but Punisher is just awful on every level possible.

pooka
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 02:06 AM

I went in this movie thinking it was going to suck slightly less than the last few batman flicks we were subjected to. I have to say that I was taken by surprise. This movie rocked some serious ass. I don't want to hype it up too much and have some dork come back and tell me I have no taste tomorrow.. All I'm saying is that it was a pretty groovie flick. Great cast (besides too young crooked mouth chick) and some great moments. The batman from hell scene was downright freaky.. had a few moms walking their kids out of the theater.

oh, and a big double thumbs up for the subtle bat logo at the beginning of the flick. great touch.

double-oh.. the sound effects on the vehicle were fan****intastic. the skid-hop as it took corners..

details.. so many happy details.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 02:07 AM

Just saw it. 100% awesome.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 02:49 AM

Well, that explains it—you have no taste. Seriously though, Uma Thurman and all of those ridiculous puns by Mr. Freeze make Batman & Robin better than the first Punisher, at the very least. B&R and Captain America are craptacular—so bad, they're unintentionally hilarious—but Punisher is just awful on every level possible.

Judge Dread and Tank Girl are the worst examples of useless comic to movie nonsense.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by pooka
I don't want to hype it up too much and have some dork come back and tell me I have no taste tomorrow..
I was being facetious. That's why I added the emoticon.
Originally Posted by paul w
Judge Dread and Tank Girl are the worst examples of useless comic to movie nonsense.
I stayed away from those two.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Macpilot
Really enjoyed Cinderella Man until I read how that Max Baer dude was totally and unfairly demonized in the movie by Ron Howard.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by paul w
Which Punisher are we talking about? Dolph Lundgren's or Tom Jane's?

And if we're talking crap comic to movie conversions let's not forget The Hulk.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by demograph68
Ciderella Man
Spiderman
Batman
Superman
Super Gran (Google it).

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 04:13 AM

I saw it yesterday afternoon also. This movie is really, really, really good. I loved the first Burton/Keaton Batman flick, but this blows it away. It has a great story, is very well written, and the cast and acting are incredible. It comes off even darker than the first Burton film.

Really, people. If you don't go see this on the bigscreen you're doing yourself a disservice. And yes, I'd have to agree with Randman. It's even better than the Spidey films. Isn't it funny that the only people in this thread dissing the film are those that haven't seen it; yet those who have seen it have nothing but great things to say. Just gotta point that out.

So far, it's the best film I've seen this year. Yup, better than Episode III...much better.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 04:15 AM

I went to the premiere a few nights ago ... with the cast. I thought the movie was very average. Very Hollywood and completely predictable. In fact, the French audience laughed in the kiss scene at the end. I thought that was a particularly "cringe" moment. It's a pity that they made it that way because I think the premise upon which the story is based is excellent. I guess for me, it needed a bit of a darker touch. Also, in the fight scenes, I just couldn't tell what was going on at all. Everything was just a blur. If that was done on purpose, I didn't like the effect.

I thought that in the other Batman's, they said that the Joker had killed his parents. Am I wrong?

Btw, Morgan Freeman and Michael Cain totally stole the evening. Such charisma in Freeman especially. Katie Holmes wore way too much makeup and the only comment Christopher Nolan could come up with was, "I think the movie speaks for itself."

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2005, 04:24 AM

See, the French don't like it. It must be good.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Troll
In fact, the French audience laughed in the kiss scene at the end. I thought that was a particularly "cringe" moment.
Actually, I really like how that scene was written. Without ruining it by going into detail, I thought that scene was actually very un-Hollywood.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 06:09 AM

See, the French don't like it. It must be good.
Oh no, they liked it.

I agree that scene did have a twist. I liked the film. I just think the story and the premise of the movie was better than the execution. I'd like to see them use Enki Bilal for a Batman movie. Something really dark would be cool.

Anyway, do go and see it.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Michael Chiklis rocks in The Shield, and I think he'll make a good Ben Grimm. I can't stand the costume though.
"The Shield" may be good, but it's not because of Chiklis. Chiklis is only as good as his writers (seriously, did you ever see "The Commish" or "Daddio?") TFF was obviously cast with the most 'B' actor starpower it could get. Alba, Chiklis and even Julian McMahon (Dr. Doom) are all recognizable faces due almost exclusively to their roles on popular TV shows.

I think Bale was an interesting choice to star in Batman. He's a pretty obscure name but has real talent. This makes me think the producers of Batman were trying to make something good, while TFF is obviously going for a big weekend gross and quick DVD distribution.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Arty50
Isn't it funny that the only people in this thread dissing the film are those that haven't seen it; yet those who have seen it have nothing but great things to say. Just gotta point that out.
I'm not dissing the movie. It could be very well be excellent. I'm just apprehensive because the trailer is so flat and uninteresting. I praised the selection of Bale earlier, but he seems completely wrong in the trailer (as does the Batmobile, Katie Holmes, and just about everything else). As I said before, I'm going to go see it, but the crappy previews are making me worry. After all, they're supposed to make me want to see it—not forget it even exists.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Troll
Oh no, they liked it.

I agree that scene did have a twist. I liked the film. I just think the story and the premise of the movie was better than the execution. I'd like to see them use Enki Bilal for a Batman movie. Something really dark would be cool.
You wanted the movie to be dark? Did you even see the movie? Has to be one of the darkest movies I've seen in a long time.

I praised the selection of Bale earlier, but he seems completely wrong in the trailer (as does the Batmobile, Katie Holmes, and just about everything else).
That's not the batmobile. It's basically a precursor to the batmobile.

pooka
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 01:35 PM

You wanted the movie to be dark? Did you even see the movie? Has to be one of the darkest movies I've seen in a long time.
Oh, they could have made it muuuuch darker. No doubt. But I'm sure the studio had some say in making sure it had SOME appeal to a younger croud. I mean, they do want to make **** tons of money off this thing. All in all, great job.

But I'd loooooove to see an R-rated batman one day. The story deserves it.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 02:03 PM

Does anyone think its worth driving a little farther away (about 30 mins) to see it in IMAX? Or are the visuals not good enough to justify going to IMAX?
( Last edited by TheMosco; Jun 16, 2005 at 02:26 PM. )
AXP
ΔΣΦ

brapper
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 03:40 PM

Better than Batman Forever? pff I SERIOUSLY doubt that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules