Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tiger giveaway

Tiger giveaway
Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2005, 12:08 PM

Hi.

I have an unused copy of Tiger and have decided to give it away to the most needy person on this forum (I'm also offering it on a couple of other Mac-centric forums). It's an upgrade DVD from a G4 Mac mini. I already have a copy of Tiger that I purchased from the Apple Store as well as a copy of Tiger I received for a newspaper review of 10.4 that I did when it was first released.

There, is however, one strong attached. In return for the Tiger DVD (and shipping), I am asking for a email from you. Tell me in your own words why you need it and why you deserve the copy of Tiger for free.

I also ask that you allow permission to run excerpts of the email on my blog. That's it. And if there's something sensitive you would rather not have published, mention that as well as we'll see what can be done.

I can contacted at Randman @ gmail.com. I'm writing this on Sunday night, August 28, so we'll keep this open for a week and I'll contact and announce the winner on Monday, September 5.

Good luck.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2005, 12:41 PM

What's with the making people beg? Just give it away quietly and be done with it.

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2005, 01:00 PM

It's not making people beg. It's asking for a valid reason why someone should get a free version of OSX. Personally, I think an email is a small effort considering I'll also be paying shipping costs. Would it be better to make it go to the first person who responds? Keep it to collect dust? How about I sell it and buy beer?
If you have a problem with that, why post?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2005, 09:36 PM

The whole 'send me an email, then I decide who deserves the CD, then I am going to write about it on my blog' scenario seems distasteful to me. A good deed is best done quietly, in my opinion.

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2005, 09:40 PM

Well, since you are an expert on such matters, how do YOU suggest I give it away?

Or maybe I don't, since you don't like it.

Seriously dude, I'm trying to help someone out and I could give it a number of ways but I thought this was the fairest. You don't like it, which you have made clear, so why keep on being such a wet towel?

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Aug 28, 2005, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Well, since you are an expert on such matters, how do YOU suggest I give it away?

Or, just don't blog about who you pick.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2005, 09:53 PM

I dunno, to make my OS legit for the first time since 10.1?

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 28, 2005, 09:54 PM

email sent.

I like your idea.

Budster often begs for beer, chips, pretzels, never sex though (ok sometimes sex.... and now OS X Tiger!)

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2005, 09:57 PM

I have an unused copy of Tiger and have decided to give it away to the most needy person on this forum
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2005, 03:47 AM

(I'm also offering it on a couple of other Mac-centric forums).

I can't believe you would cheat on us like that, are we not good enough for you?

I think this relationship is over between you and us.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2005, 03:51 AM

Hi.

I have an unused copy of Tiger and have decided to give it away to the most needy person on this forum (I'm also offering it on a couple of other Mac-centric forums). It's an upgrade DVD from a G4 Mac mini. I already have a copy of Tiger that I purchased from the Apple Store as well as a copy of Tiger I received for a newspaper review of 10.4 that I did when it was first released.

There, is however, one strong attached. In return for the Tiger DVD (and shipping), I am asking for a email from you. Tell me in your own words why you need it and why you deserve the copy of Tiger for free.

I also ask that you allow permission to run excerpts of the email on my blog. That's it. And if there's something sensitive you would rather not have published, mention that as well as we'll see what can be done.

I can contacted at Randman @ gmail.com. I'm writing this on Sunday night, August 28, so we'll keep this open for a week and I'll contact and announce the winner on Monday, September 5.

Good luck.
I would accept it, but im not needy, I have enough to afford it if I wanted to buy it and it just dosent work well enough on my current computer to bother.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2005, 04:14 AM

Wait... real copies of OS releases... what is this?

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2005, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR
I can't believe you would cheat on us like that, are we not good enough for you?

I think this relationship is over between you and us.

Considering this is my 8,000th post, I think I'm well entrenched here. Until I change my nickname to Colonel Panic or Fanboi™ or something of that ilk.

Besides, almost everyone at Macthemes and Xiap also are on here. And since I'm working in Singapore, I included the Mac Users Group Singapore board as well.

I thought that was fair ... but Mastrap will probably complain about that as well. Can't please some people, can ya?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Aug 29, 2005, 05:56 AM

While I wouldn't go so far and say it's distasteful, I too do think it's ... uhm, "quirky" (wouldn't have expected anything but "quirky" from you anyway ).

One thing to consider though, is that you might not reach some people who really could use a legit copy of Tiger because they're ashamed of their financial situation and wouldn't want the fact that they're broke published on your blog. After all, being poor seems like one of the last real taboos in most "first-world" societies. (methinks that'd make a great Lounge thread, too - lots of fighting potential)

Great idea, implementation could use a tiny bit of fine-tuning.

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2005, 06:22 AM

I was planning on just running some excerpts, if that. No one was going to be named nor the entire email published.

If anything, it's similar to some columns I did before the presidential election where I wrote about being undecided and asking people to write in why one candidate should be selected over the other.

More than anything, I wanted to help someone out who needed out without resorting to a "fastest fingers first" mentality.

I think I've done enough published pieces over the years to handle things tastefully.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Aug 29, 2005, 06:43 AM

I was planning on just running some excerpts, if that. No one was going to be named nor the entire email published. ...
Aaaaah-Hah!

... More than anything, I wanted to help someone out who needed out without resorting to a "fastest fingers first" mentality. I think I've done enough published pieces over the years to handle things tastefully.
Never really doubted the "tasteful" part, hence my use of the term "quirky".

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2005, 12:56 PM

Midweek bump.

Forum Links
Forum Rules