Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What online tools are you using?

What online tools are you using?
Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2008, 03:55 PM

This is thread inspired by the dropbox conversation. I am using more and more online tools to get my work done. Benefits include access whenever, wherever and the ability to share information, files and tools easily.

Here's my daily toolbox:

1. Evernote. Every project I start will instantly get an Evernote Notebook attached. That way, whenever I find anything that's connected to the project I can instantly clip it, tag it and access it from any browser, my desktop application on the MBP and my iPhone.
I also use it for recipes and as a business card database. Evernote makes photographed text searchable, a benefit for me.

Drawback: I wish two or more people could post to the same notebook.

2. Dropbox. I use dropbox to share files with:

1. Myself. Home and work are synced. I can work from bed if I feel like it.
2. Suppliers. Right now I am working on a project with a web development company. All files needed for the project are in a shared folder.
3. Friends. I produce a podcast with a friend. All music files and sound effects are in drop box.
4. Co-workers. We use drop box as a virtual server, allowing all of us to work from wherever we happen to be.
5. Backup. Because dropbox creates multiple versions of the same file there is instant, offline and online, backup.
6. Clients. Dropbox makes final file delivery a snap.

Drop box, for me, is one of the most useful products ever to hit the net. I don't think I'll ever go back to working any other way.
It is not the first product of its kind, but it just works, across all platforms.

Drawback: None I am aware of.

3. Basecamp. It replaces email with clients and collaborators. Very useful as an organisational tool.

Drawback: Hosted only. I like local backups.

4. Twitter. Taking the pulse of the web. Instant market research. Single tweets are mostly mundane, taken together they are an excellent planning tool.

5. Wordpress. Build stuff, publish stuff.

6. Diiego. Bookmark sharing. Has fallen out of favour since I've started Evernote.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 2, 2008, 03:58 PM

I use Dropbox to host files and to make all of my homework available at any computer. It's really nice not to have to worry about remembering a flash drive or anything like that, and I was actually able to install the desktop software on my campus user account, so now I have all of the desktop's capabilities in certain labs on campus.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2008, 04:18 PM

I wasn't before, but I'm not using Evernote myself. Looks like a pretty slick app, and should be pretty useful. Thanks!

Other than that I use dropbox for keeping important files synced up between my various computers and OSs (being able to easily sync my files between OS X, Windows, Linux, and anything with a web browser makes my life so much better). I use MobileMe for keeping my contacts and calendar synced with my iPhone and accessible from any web browser. I use Google Hosted Apps to provide my email. And otherwise I just use basic *nix dev tools like Emacs, mercurial, &c.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2008, 07:10 PM

I don't use anything for my job, but personally I use :

Gmail and Gcal with the Outlook to Gcal syncing
Dropbox
Some stuff under Google Docs but I wonder if it wouldn't be better in Dropbox.

I'm so far behind the times, and Europe is in general that stuff like Twitter, Facebook, MySpace etc etc don't really scratch that itch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules