Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Camera opinions - keeping stills and video separate or go for a combo?

Camera opinions - keeping stills and video separate or go for a combo?
Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2010, 05:33 PM

We run a promotional program for one of our clients. Two girls in a 1940's truck visit events, give away free product samples and document the experience on twitter, facebook and flickr.

So far their equipment consists of an iPhone and a Macbook each. In broad daylight the camera on the iPhone is adequate, but should we ever want to use one of the images in print and in low light situations the quality just doesn't hold up.

I am debating on whether to buy them either a Flip DH each and a separate still camera, or two cameras that handle both video and stills well.

What do you guys think? Any recommendation either way? We don't need RAW capability, but I'd like to see at least 8mp and HD video recording.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2010, 05:36 PM

A lot of point and shoots have HD video recording these days. Just get one of those.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2010, 10:30 PM

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2010, 10:45 PM

The video recording capability on my Canon PowerShot SD1100 is pretty nice. It can do HD (although the quality still isn't as good as a high end HD consumer video camera), and it looks good.

Here's a video I took with that camera so you can see the quality: YouTube - Cat in a box, being a ninja
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 23, 2010, 08:42 AM

My DV camcorder does stills (at somewhat reduced resolution). My DSLR does video (at full resolution, limited by storage capacity only). Even my 4MP Kodak DX6490 does full res video... Max out storage on a decent still camera and you can have the best of both worlds, IMO.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2010, 10:12 AM

iPhone? Really? Even for a cell phone, its photo quality isn't great. That's one of my biggest beefs with the iPhone.

If you want HD video, then it might make sense getting them an entry level dSLR, or a higher end point-and-shoot. Forget the separate video camera. It will just be annoying for them.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2010, 12:54 PM

Love my Canon SD960. It takes great photos and the HD video is perfect for what I need.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2010, 05:10 AM

Canon T2i (550D)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2010, 07:24 AM

This video was made with a Casio Exilim Pro EX-F1. Drool-Worthy.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Love my Canon SD960. It takes great photos and the HD video is perfect for what I need.
I have the Canon SD780 and I've been happy with both still and video image quality. It is also tiny and easy to use.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules