Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nazis on the Moon! Iron Sky is almost here!

Nazis on the Moon! Iron Sky is almost here!
design219
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2012, 08:25 PM

I posted a thread about this movie back in 2008, and it was too old to let me post an update. I was starting to wonder if this would ever launch.

Looks pretty trippy.

Iron Sky Teaser 3 - We Come In Peace! - YouTube

Iron Sky premieres at the Berlinale on 11.2.2012 - YouTube
NSFW (one tiny naughty word)

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2012, 08:28 PM

Oh.

I thought this was about Newt Gingrich.

Oh well.

Edit: This looks positively awesome, though. Total trash story. Will be following the reviews from the Berlinale.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2012, 08:37 PM

Haha, the president of the United States.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2012, 09:02 PM

jorivirtanen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2012, 04:53 AM

Dudes,

thanks for taking interest in our movie. Really warms the ol' heart when people are excited about what we've done. So... thanks. Really

Indeed, the movie will premiere in less than two weeks in Berlin Film Festival, and in April, the movie will launch in several countries -- 4.4. in Finland, and 5.4. in Germany, for example.

We'll soon launch the very official theatrical launch super trailer (in addition to the linked teaser above and a collage trailer of sorts aimed for the Berlinale launch), but before you can feast your eyes on that baby, you can check out Iron Sky's home page -- we got teasers, we got concept art, we got press photos, and we'll update it all in a week, too, to show even more.

Whew. Two weeks 'til premiere. Can't believe it has finally come to this

---
Jori Virtanen, Iron Sky publicist
Iron Sky: Watch the New Teaser!

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2012, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
[IMG]

Haha, the president of the United States.
She looks so... Prussian.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2012, 04:58 PM

Awesome. I've been waiting for this to be released since I saw the early teasers. Trailers

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by jorivirtanen View Post
Dudes, thanks for taking interest in our movie.
Jori Virtanen, Iron Sky publicist
I admire your marketing approach! I just googled your name and it looks like you are tracking discussion of the movie and dropping personal notes. This is the kind of thing that's so easy, but a larger studio probably wouldn't think of, or at least bother with.

Not that you'll be checking back in this forum, but good luck with the film!

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2012, 05:53 PM

Seems like it's been forever in the making. At last it's nearly here. I can't see it getting a general UK release and it's a long trek to any cinema it's likely to be showing at so it's probably going to be an iTune buy. Can't wait.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2012, 07:25 AM

Aw pish! Reviews of this are generally not favourable.

Example of one:
Berlin 2012: Iron Sky – review | Film | guardian.co.uk

bah!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2012, 07:43 AM

You were expecting a 2013 oscar winner?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2012, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
You were expecting a 2013 oscar winner?
Obviously not, but low budget doesn't have to mean lack of imagination. Loos like they had a stinking great idea but not followed up with the script.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2012, 08:36 AM

Like the review says, comedy is easier said than done. Maybe we'll all luck out and Verhoeven will pick up the rights. I wouldn't hold my breath though knowing how much the dutch like the Nazis.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2012, 03:03 PM

I don't recall, but did Starship Troopers get favorable reviews when it was released? I enjoyed that movie quite a bit, even though I know its faults. I was kind of expecting this movie to fall into that category.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 20, 2012, 04:11 PM

Starship Troopers got lambasted when it was released, and aside from its cult following history hasn't really looked any more kindly upon it.

I'm one of the cult though. Great movie.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2012, 06:22 PM

Same here. I seem to find myself watching Starship Troopers whenever it happens to come on TV. Even though I've seen it more times than I can recall.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2012, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Aw pish! Reviews of this are generally not favourable.

Example of one:
Berlin 2012: Iron Sky – review | Film | guardian.co.uk

bah!
I would take reviews from the guardian with a grain of salt. It seems like some brits have lost their sense of humour. I remember fondly British comedies like Monty Python but England seems to have become a bit too PC as of late. It's kind of ironic that Germany used to be butt of jokes about being uptight concerning the "war" in Monty Python skits. Now they seem to be able to laugh at themselves and face their past with maturity. Good for them.

This film is directed by a finnish guy so it probably has some humour that some brits might find hard to understand but people living in more cosmopolitan countries like Canada and even parts of the US should enjoy.

I hope this film is released to theatres in Vancouver, BC.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2012, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I don't recall, but did Starship Troopers get favorable reviews when it was released? I enjoyed that movie quite a bit, even though I know its faults. I was kind of expecting this movie to fall into that category.
Anecdotal evidence via Facebook from people who saw it at the premiere is that it does.

"It's great when armed with a bag of M&Ms" was one brief review.

I LOVE Starship Troopers.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2012, 05:19 AM

Starship Troopers was a fantastic film. It had that same cynical undertone that was present in Robocop, though it was perhaps a little more obvious.
( Last edited by Waragainstsleep; Feb 21, 2012 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Man, autocorrect is really hit & miss. How does it miss a word like "troppers"? (Which it just tried to correct this time))

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2012, 05:27 AM

A review of this sort of film is not something I'd bother reading in any british "news"paper. THe Guardian is too pompous to appreciate anything that doesn't get shortlisted for a best picture award unless it has subtitles and most of the rest will just make stupid jokes about the war to rile up their idiot readers.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 21, 2012, 07:22 AM

As "splatter space opera," verHoven's "Starship Troopers" was at least as good as it needed to be to be enjoyable. I, a Heinlein fan for decades, simply cannot forgive verHoven for buying the rights to that particular title to make a movie that was radically different from Heinlein's quite powerful treatise on personal responsibility and citizenship. Plus, why bother with something even vaguely related to Heinlein's title without powered armor? Anyway, I was already unhappy with verHoven deciding Detroit was a good place to portray as he did in "Robocop," and this just pushed me past wanting to even consider his work in the future.

Where was I...

Oh yeah! I agree that "reviews" of a movie about Nazis on the moon are a waste of everyone's time. It'll either stink or be a lot of fun, and the only way to find out is to shell out some cash and sit through it. Which, (if it gets to my market) I will do.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2012, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
This film is directed by a finnish guy so it probably has some humour that some brits might find hard to understand but people living in more cosmopolitan countries like Canada and even parts of the US should enjoy.
Either, a) welcome to the irony or b) this makes no sense. Cos us poor unicultural Brits always struggle with subtle or dry humour.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2012, 04:53 AM

Forget the bad reviews. This movie has balls, has everything a space exploitation movie should have, and does not pull out punches
It is the Dr Strangelove of the 2010's generation.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2012, 04:59 AM

I like the blonde girl very much. The rest of it disappointed me a little. Can't really put my finger on why.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2012, 05:08 AM

Finally saw this movie.

It was F*CKING AWESOME.

I loved the little (and big) tributes and quotes (including Strangelove).
FWIW, I thoroughly enjoyed Starship Troopers, as well.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2012, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post

I would take reviews from the guardian with a grain of salt. It seems like some brits have lost their sense of humour. I remember fondly British comedies like Monty Python but England seems to have become a bit too PC as of late. It's kind of ironic that Germany used to be butt of jokes about being uptight concerning the "war" in Monty Python skits. Now they seem to be able to laugh at themselves and face their past with maturity. Good for them.

I hope this film is released to theatres in Vancouver, BC.
I'm surprised at myself that I took the time to slate Guardian film critics but ignored these comments about british humour. Its not that we lack a sense of humour, its that ours is different. There is a wide variety of comedy styles that we enjoy and are good at but there are some that just don't work for us. The Daily Show is a good example. Its not the culture references, its just that to us it really isn't very funny very often. Two and a Half Jokes is another good one. If you sit through enough of those you start to get a feeling for the in jokes but there really is very little to it other than "Charlie Sheen drinks, takes drugs, screws women and slobs around in his mansion." Its not so much a joke as it is an ambition.
I used to love Kids In The Hall back in the day but Death Comes To Town was really light on laughs.

I wouldn't want to say that our sense of humour is too sophisticated for certain comedy, but I don't think its unfair to say that some comedy is a bit underdeveloped to work for us. We do puerile, basic, gross-out stuff, and we do weird and/or high brow but there isn't much middle ground.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2012, 05:15 AM

Where can I find this movie in Canada?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2012, 09:24 AM

I downloaded a DVD rip of it last week because I couldn't find any other options to get it and it was great. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2012, 09:36 AM

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2012, 10:02 AM

Well I thought it was a good one, but then I do like this sort of thing that doesn't do things too seriously.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jul 13, 2012, 10:07 AM

I'd be interested in your take on "The Green Wing". It's a Brit comedy centered in a hospital in the UK. My wife and I thought it was about the funniest series we had ever seen, and were so disappointed to see it only lasted two seasons, though I heard it got good reviews over there.

I wondered if that was more typical British comedy, or just a brilliant one off quirky show. I know I've never seen anything quite like it here in the states.

Do you know of any other shows like Green Wing?

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jul 13, 2012, 10:07 AM

excuse me - three seasons actually.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2012, 01:13 PM

Green Wing is a great big from me.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2012, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
I downloaded a DVD rip of it last week because I couldn't find any other options to get it and it was great. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.
This really ticks me off. If I download a rip of it, I'm "stealing" it. Yet, at the same time, they refuse to make it available to me in any way that I could pay for it, which I would gladly do.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2012, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
This really ticks me off. If I download a rip of it, I'm "stealing" it. Yet, at the same time, they refuse to make it available to me in any way that I could pay for it, which I would gladly do.
This is still a big factor in movie piracy. Those of us across the sea have had to wait for movies to be released as long as I can remember. Sometimes its only a week or two, sometimes its many months though the average gap has shrunk in more recent years. As a kid I recall people who went on holiday to the US often got to see films on the plane that weren't released here on cinema yet.

There used to be an excuse. 25mm movie prints are expensive. Typically the distributors would wait until they had called them all in from the US, clean the prints up and then ship them overseas but nowadays I believe digital is pretty much standard so there is no such excuse anymore. Films should be released simultaneously. This helps prevent piracy and spoilers and until its standard practice the MPAA should really stop bitching about piracy allegedly costing so them much money. Like you say, what do they expect when people cannot buy their product?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2012, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by RobOnTheCape View Post
I'd be interested in your take on "The Green Wing". It's a Brit comedy centered in a hospital in the UK. My wife and I thought it was about the funniest series we had ever seen, and were so disappointed to see it only lasted two seasons, though I heard it got good reviews over there.
I wondered if that was more typical British comedy, or just a brilliant one off quirky show. I know I've never seen anything quite like it here in the states.
Do you know of any other shows like Green Wing?

Green Wing was a work of genius.

I don't think there is anything I'd describe as being that similar to it, but I can recommend a few others to try out:

The IT Crowd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDA1HUmuuJo

Nathan Barley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhAr_UeroCk

The Might Boosh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz2szNKnsXo

Black Books
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY5-0It0acU

Father Ted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLTnacYvvg4

Some of these feature one or two cast members from Green Wing and I think maybe some of the writing team. Not 100% sure about that though. There is a show called Teachers which is actually more of a drama series but the early seasons were very very funny. You may recognise Andrew Lincoln from The Walking Dead if you try that one. Its all on Youtube but I don't know if it will work stateside:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=ELybjN0nNME_s&feature=plcp

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
There fault, don't sweet it. I own over 450 DVDs and 30 DVD seasons. I buy when I can. As long as you buy your stuff that you can you should not feel that guilty, especially here in Canada since we do pay a tax on blank media, and memory which is used to compensate artists. Until Harper changes the laws, as it stands right now the legality of downloading for personal use (not distributing) is a legal grey area with some in the legal community saying that because of the tax on media its not illegal while others saying it is. It has never been challenged in court.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2012, 12:27 PM

IT Crowed is on Netflix, its a awesome.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 20, 2012, 11:35 AM

There will be a US theatrical release after all. It must have done well internationally and on Amazon.

Iron Sky - Quicktime Movie Trailers

Scheduled for July 25.

Forum Links
Forum Rules