Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Dock loses Magnification ability

Dock loses Magnification ability
barbarian
Senior User
Sep 24, 2002, 03:33 PM

My dock suddenly started losing it's ability to magnify icons after sleep. The only fix is to turn magnification off and then on again after waking up.

Any ideas on how to fix (I've tried turning off screen savers).

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2002, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by barbarian:
My dock suddenly started losing it's ability to magnify icons after sleep. The only fix is to turn magnification off and then on again after waking up.

Any ideas on how to fix (I've tried turning off screen savers).
Wow, lucky you....you want to fix that "feature"?? Sorry, it's just that I've never liked the magnification idea.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2002, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:

Wow, lucky you....you want to fix that "feature"?? Sorry, it's just that I've never liked the magnification idea.

You need to stop using ""

It get old fast

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2002, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

You need to stop using ""

It get old fast
Nah, thanks though for the suggestion.

Cheers.

McKee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2002, 04:45 PM

I think there's something going on with this. I've lost my ability to auto-appear/hide. I can't say for sure if it only happens after I've put the system to sleep, but it's definately annoying. I've tried: Disk Utility, fsck, Disk Warrior, Repair Priviledges, and trashing the com.apple.dock.plist, all to no avail. Another guy at the MacFixIt forums reported the same thing with a client of his. He states he thinks it has somehting to do with his monitor. I don't buy that. It has something to do with something we installed in the last week. Right now I'm thinking either 10.2.1, Default Folder, WinddowShade X, or, do you have a wireless mouse? If you could, provide your information here so we can track this thing down. It's a real pain in the A-double snakes!

bradexample
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2002, 05:04 PM

i've had this happen. don't know why. but at least you now know that you're not crazy.

McKee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2002, 04:27 AM

Originally posted by bradexample:
i've had this happen. don't know why. but at least you now know that you're not crazy.
You talk in the past tense...were you able to fix this behavior and/or discover what caused it?

Meadowfield
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2002, 11:30 AM

I've mucked around with the Dock using Transparent Dock and ClearDoc so much that I too suspect I've damaged the original resource and was wondering how I might be able to replace it with a fresh copy.

McKee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2002, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by Meadowfield:
I've mucked around with the Dock using Transparent Dock and ClearDoc so much that I too suspect I've damaged the original resource and was wondering how I might be able to replace it with a fresh copy.
If you delete the com.apple.dock.plist file from your User>Library>Preferences folder, you'll start the Dock back in its install state. Unfortunately, this doesn't fix the problem I'm having.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2002, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by McKee:
I think there's something going on with this. I've lost my ability to auto-appear/hide. I can't say for sure if it only happens after I've put the system to sleep, but it's definately annoying. I've tried: Disk Utility, fsck, Disk Warrior, Repair Priviledges, and trashing the com.apple.dock.plist, all to no avail. Another guy at the MacFixIt forums reported the same thing with a client of his. He states he thinks it has somehting to do with his monitor. I don't buy that. It has something to do with something we installed in the last week. Right now I'm thinking either 10.2.1, Default Folder, WinddowShade X, or, do you have a wireless mouse? If you could, provide your information here so we can track this thing down. It's a real pain in the A-double snakes!
I lost the ability to use the Dock's contextual menus yesterday. I killed the dock from Terminal and relaunched it. Problem fixed.

McKee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2002, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by Don Pickett:

I lost the ability to use the Dock's contextual menus yesterday. I killed the dock from Terminal and relaunched it. Problem fixed.
Well, unless killig the Dock is different than quiting the Dock from the Process Viewer, this doesn't work for me. Any other ideas?

barbarian  (op)
Senior User
Sep 25, 2002, 09:57 PM

10.2.1, Default Folder, WinddowShade X, or, do you have a wireless mouse?

I so use windowshade X, but it happens even when this is uninstalled. Very weird.

Basically after the screensaver is up, the dock fails to magnify (also contextual menus appear shifted...the little pointy part at the bottom points to the wrong icon). Once something is selected everything reverts back to normal.

Other weirdness include colored contextual menus, no contextual menus.

I think all this is post 10.2.1 so that might be the culprit.

As for magnification in general I like it only because it helps orientate me (I use a really tiny dock). I'd actually love to have an option to simply highlight the current icon being hovered over instead of magnifying...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2002, 10:25 PM

10.2.1, Default Folder, WinddowShade X, or, do you have a wireless mouse?

I so use windowshade X, but it happens even when this is uninstalled. Very weird.

Basically after the screensaver is up, the dock fails to magnify (also contextual menus appear shifted...the little pointy part at the bottom points to the wrong icon). Once something is selected everything reverts back to normal.

I think all this is post 10.2.1 so that might be the culprit.

As for magnification in general I like it only because it helps orientate me (I use a really tiny dock). I'd actually love to have an option to simply highlight the current icon being hovered over instead of magnifying...
It could quite possibly be your .ape module(s) from Unsanity causing the problem....highly doubt it though, have you tried getting rid of all of those and seeing if that works?

HD/Library/Application Enhancers/

McKee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2002, 10:22 AM

Colored Contextual Menus? Like this?

This has been going on for me since I installed (clean install) Jaguar. Haven't been able to fix it either

Meadowfield
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2002, 11:10 AM

McKee... That's a well known ClearDock side effect. Try Transparent Dock instead.

McKee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2002, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by Meadowfield:
McKee... That's a well known ClearDock side effect. Try Transparent Dock instead.
Meadowfield
Ahhh! Half the problem solved! Thanks! (I had turned Clear Dock off, but until I deleted all traces of it, this was still happening.

Now if only I could figure out WTF is wrong with my Dock and it's inability to auto hide/appear consistenly, I'd be one happy camper...

Forum Links
Forum Rules