Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > The Perfect OSX Browser? My Wishlist, what's yours?

The Perfect OSX Browser? My Wishlist, what's yours?
tsuki
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2003, 05:50 PM

Right now I'm using Safari & Mozilla
I have also tried Firebird & Camino but switched to Mozilla when I heard they weren't developing Camino any longer. This is what I don't like about the 3:

Safari:
1) No easy way to change your font color for visited & non visited links. When I try to change font color nothing sticks. I select a color & nothing changes.Mozilla has an easier color selection screen..
2)I would like to have the option of bookmarks in a sidebar or drawer
3) No X's on tabs
Mozilla
1)It's just the looks..I don't like that red dinosaur in the corner (I have the modern theme)I like safari's look more.
Firebird
1) Won't launch again (after it's open)from the dock when you click on it
2) Still buggy on websites..I couldn't post on a couple of forums

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2003, 05:56 PM

Safari is pretty close to perfect for me.

About the only thing I could think of (beyond continuing to improve CSS2 support) is some options for what Javascript is allowed to do. (i.e. a setting for "don't resize windows") I'd also like an option for disabling sounds on web pages. (i.e. those dumbasses you think it's cute when some jarring midi song is playing as soon as you bring up their site)

I'd also like PDF support built in without using that 3rd party plug-in which is sometimes flakey. I'd like Powerpoint in window and perhaps even .Doc in window as well.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2003, 06:54 PM

Yeah, I have a request for Safari which much others might share. It would be useful if an exclude list can be given for the pop-up blocking, for example for a certain domain or directory.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2003, 07:10 PM

I've been using Firebird a lot more recently because it's MUCH faster than Safari when on dialup. I like Safari more, but it's just too slow.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2003, 07:37 PM

I wish there was a way to tear off tabs in Safari and then also reverse the process by making a secondary window into a tab in my main browser window.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2003, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by tsuki:
Safari:
1) No easy way to change your font color for visited & non visited links.
Use a style sheet:

a { text-decoration: none !important;}
a:link {color:#0080FF; text-decoration: none}
a:visited {color:#B3B3B3; text-decoration: none}

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2003, 08:27 PM

� options to disallow moving, resizing, bringing forward, opening, closing windows from javascript, individually if possible (individual prefs, not for individual windows)
� disallow gifs and flash things from animating or playing audio (tvguide.com, I'm looking in your direction)
� I would love to be able to make windows into tabs and vice versa, but it's not a deal breaker
� ftp just like IE does, not sending the links to the Finder (or in my case to IE for some reason)

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2003, 09:24 PM

There's only one thing on my browser wishlist: it's called OmniWeb 5.0

new features we know are coming:

�some tabbed-browsing substitute
�per-site preferences (for text size, for ad-blocking, etc.)
�some new metaphor for integrated bookmarks/history
�new progress indicator
�adoption of even newer webcore w/ omni's fixes for speed/compatibility
�some sort of suck-down the site equivalent to IE's scrapbook (maybe integrated with bookmarks/history)

have I forgotten any? (These all are, of course, on top of the features OW already has - bookmark checking, shortcuts, high levels of javascript control/ad blocking, etc.)

Should be out soon - not just "for the holidays" but apparently it's far enough along that they may be able to release it before they even integrate the new WebCore, or at least at the same time that they do (i.e. no expecting a 4.6 or 4.5.5 before 5.0)

(before people ask, this is just my recollection of what's been said in the "how's OW 5.0 coming?" thread and similar.)
cpac

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2003, 10:38 PM

Camino is still being developed (quite actively in the past month or so).

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2003, 10:57 PM

I was Camino all the time. But development is basically dead. Then I moved to Safari. Good stuff. Now I gave Firebird another try. New UI and its ****ING fast now!

Drop you bloated Mozilla and pick up Firebird. Check out some of the nightly builds.

I have also tried Firebird & Camino but switched to Mozilla when I heard they weren't developing Camino any longer. This is what I don't like about the 3:
Change your world and you will change your mind.

Mike S.
Senior User
Nov 15, 2003, 11:13 PM

The perfect browser will never exist but my idea of the dream browser is basically OmniWeb 5's stated feature set (assuming their tabbed implementation is good) with the render performance of Mozilla Firebird.

I love OmniWeb but it's render speed is still around half that of Safari, no big deal to me given it's vastly superior feature set and user interface but since we're dreaming...

tsuki  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2003, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by Dale Sorel:
Use a style sheet:

thanks so much for that simple style sheet..i just changed the color numbers to the ones that i wanted & it works fine ...
on firebird..i'll give it another try...but do any of you using it have the same problem with relaunching it from the dock? it's kind of annoying having to do a work around every time.

Mike S.
Senior User
Nov 16, 2003, 07:49 PM

(...) do any of you using it have the same problem with relaunching it from the dock? it's kind of annoying having to do a work around every time.
I'm not following you, it launches as many times from the Dock as I need it to.

Perhaps you mean it won't spawn a new window by clicking the Dock icon and no windows are currently open?

There are no work arounds for that, it would have to be fixed in code.

I just hit command + N after bringing Firebird forward to spawn a new window.

proton
Senior User
Nov 16, 2003, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
I'd like Powerpoint in window and perhaps even .Doc in window as well.
If anyone even thinks of doing that I'll be heading out on a muderous rampage...

The number of problems I have to deal with, helping people who have Word open up inside IE and then it confusing them no end is ridiculous. Inline Powerpoint is no better, and just confuses users. It has to be one of the worst ideas I've ever seen in my life. At least PDFs are OK for viewing in a browser, they're non-editable files when displayed in a browser. An entirely non-editable version of a Word document viewer might be OK, but the way Word embeds in Windows IE causes so many problems it's painful.

- proton

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2003, 09:06 PM

I'd like a field to look up the meaning of words on say dictionary.com (just like the google search field).

Mike S.
Senior User
Nov 16, 2003, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:
I'd like a field to look up the meaning of words on say dictionary.com (just like the google search field).
OmniWeb, Mozilla, Firebird and even iCab will easily let you do that via shortcuts/bookmark keywords.

I have a search for Google, Google I'm feeling lucky (this one is great, it's almost like keywords for the web), Google image search, Webster dictionary search and searching Mac Update for software.

The little search field is pointless when your browser supports powerful features.

I doubt Safari will ever be a power user's browser.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
OmniWeb, Mozilla, Firebird and even iCab will easily let you do that via shortcuts/bookmark keywords.

I have a search for Google, Google I'm feeling lucky (this one is great, it's almost like keywords for the web), Google image search, Webster dictionary search and searching Mac Update for software.

The little search field is pointless when your browser supports powerful features.

Could you please post some screen shots of the same?

Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2003, 09:13 AM

I have also tried Firebird & Camino but switched to Mozilla when I heard they weren't developing Camino any longer.
Where have you heard such nonsense, Camino development is active right now.

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2003, 11:48 AM

here's the screenshot on OmniGroup's website showing a shortcut for version tracker:

http://www.omnigroup.com/images/newi.../Shortcuts.jpg

basically rather than having an annoying second text entry field you just type a short prefix and then your search terms into the main address bar.

I use this with version tracker, google, yahoo, IMDB, google picture search, NYC and SLC citysearch, and others.

FAR better/faster than having to pic which one you want to search from a pop-up list and then clicking into a separate text box: all you have to do is hit command-L (to go to the location bar,) and then type something like "imdb the matrix" and you get the search results page
cpac

JLL
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2003, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by dtriska:
I wish there was a way to tear off tabs in Safari and then also reverse the process by making a secondary window into a tab in my main browser window.
I dont' think Adobe would like that idea (as they have a patent on movable tabs).
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Mike S.
Senior User
Nov 17, 2003, 01:40 PM

Click to see a screenshot.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2003, 01:57 PM

My browser wishlist:

1. Keywords. Doing a Google search in the toolbar is of course nice, but nothing beats being able to search VersionTracker, MacUpdate, or look up a word in Merriam Webster (this one is really invaluable!) as well, right from the toolbar. Not having this feature is a dealbreaker for me.

2. Type-ahead find. If you want to navigate using the keyboard, this is the only way to do it.

3. Native Mac OS X interface. I'm sorry, but interfaces that try to approximate the Mac UI like the XUL-based Mozilla browsers never get everything perfectly right - something will always be messed up. And you're not going to automatically inherit nice things like the spell checker with fake widgets.

For the moment, OmniWeb fills all my requirements quite nicely. It would be nice if a few annoying bugs in 4.5 would be fixed, and it would be nice if there were an option to make type-ahead find words in the middle of links like Mozilla/Firebird/Camino instead of only at the beginning. However, OW has a very nice UI and has tons of extra sweet little features that make it fun. I expect that OmniWeb 5.0 will kick ass. Second place would probably be Camino, then Firebird. I'm sorry, but I can't use Safari, since it does not have toolbar keywords.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2003, 02:23 PM

I have been using all!

70% Safari - The tabs, open in tabs, bookmark syncing and favicons have me using it the most (bookmark.mac.com).

20% OmniWeb 4.5 - Bookmarks in a floating menu, bookmark checking and customization of toolbar.

5% Mozilla/Firebird - For development in Zope which no other browser handles as well.

2% IE - For cutting and pasting from IE to Excel, only IE (Suprise) handles this very well.

2% Netscape 7.+ - When I forget that I have Mozilla.

1% Netscape 0.97 in Classic - Cause I can!

As for wish list, it is a mixing of Safari and Omniweb. Give me all the goodness of Omniweb with customization, shortcuts, bookmarks, tools, downloads, etc with tabs and favicon support and I am done. If you could throw in better support for Zope and copying and pasting table data from websites to Excel, I would be very happy as well.

I believe OW5.0 will have all of this. I will of course not have bookmark syncing , but I will either learn to live with it or just figure out another solution.

BZ

bmedina
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 02:34 PM

Firebird has become my new browser of choice. It's the fastest of all the browsers currently, and the new UI is pretty spiffy.

Here's a shot of how to add search engines to the toolbar search:

http://benmedina.dyndns.org/firebird.png

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2003, 04:14 PM

when I heard they weren't developing Camino any longer post on a couple of forums
They are. Check the nightlies.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2003, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
OmniWeb 5
When it comes, I'll be happy. I'm using Safari now, but once OmniWeb gets tabs I might switch.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

passmaster16
Senior User
Nov 17, 2003, 04:17 PM

Since I'm lazy...reposting from the other Camino thread

Camino is still my primary browser. I still would like to see native text boxes (spell check) and autoform fill. Those are two features that would make it much better because eventually, I'll switch to Safari when it becomes more compatible with most websites just to get those features. I've still come across a few sites that view fine in Camino and not Safari so that's what has been holding me back from using Safari all the time. I guess the real question is how much commitment will the project team give Camino when the Mozilla project map is going to Firebird? Or are they eventually planning to merge Firebird's rendering engine into Camino? I've always liked Camino for it's speed and simplicity. Firebird looks promising, but it still doesn't have the polished feel that Camino has. I think Camino just needs to add a few more features so that users will try it out. Right now, many people are going with Safari and not turning back. I for one like Camino very much but if it continues to lack the features of Safari, it won't be long until I switch myself.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Mike S.:

Actually there is a plug-in for Safari that will give you all this the way OmniWeb does. I forget the name but I installed it the other day.

Mike S.
Senior User
Nov 17, 2003, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
Actually there is a plug-in for Safari that will give you all this the way OmniWeb does. I forget the name but I installed it the other day.
I'm looking at the page for the product (Sogudi) and it looks good but why should I have to use two add ons to get what OmniWeb builds in?

The other add on would be PithHelmet for ad blocking.

Even with those two features, Safari lacks even features as basic as contextual menu navigation (back, reload, etc..) and an ability to re-arrange the toolbar buttons.

For those of you using Firebird and/or Mozilla, I highly recommend the following plug-in: Adblock

Very customizable content filtering, works great.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 07:32 PM

I'm looking at the page for the product (Sogudi) and it looks good but why should I have to use two add ons to get what OmniWeb builds in?

Well if you find Omniweb perfect that's fine. Personally I want tabs and I like the way Safari handles bookmarks and so forth. So this is just to point out that Sogudi provides this feature for Safari.

Perhaps when Omniweb 5 is out it may convince me to leave Safari. But right now Safari does everything I want except for finer Javascript control and better embedded viewing of PDFs and various other common formats on the net.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 08:50 PM

I believe OW5.0 will have all of this. I will of course not have bookmark syncing , but I will either learn to live with it or just figure out another solution.
OmniWeb 4.5 effectively gives you bookmark synchronization, but it works a little different. Instead of keeping multiple copies of the bookmarks file locally on each computer and having a process that regularly syncs them, there's a single copy that lives on a WebDAV server. OmniWeb on each machine uses the WebDAV file directly, and arbitrates the merging of changes so that all machines see the same thing.

It's an unsupported feature in OW 4.5, as we haven't added the necessary UI to make it easy and straightforward to use. It's planned as a supported feature for 5.0. See this thread for more info.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

tsuki  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 12:29 AM

i downloaded firebird again & i'm trying it and liking it..seems really fast....

i was thinking about the look (sorry it's the artist in me) i would like to see someday...i haven't seen it yet, let me know if you have..but what about a black sort of reflective lucite..has anyone done or seen that?

also on omniweb..it looks like an excellent browser but i wonder if you've considered offering it by donation instead of selling it?...i think it would expand your market even further...just a thought

Mike S.
Senior User
Nov 18, 2003, 12:41 AM

also on omniweb..it looks like an excellent browser but i wonder if you've considered offering it by donation instead of selling it?...i think it would expand your market even further...just a thought
It practically is donation ware, they don't force you to buy a license to use it and the "restricted features" (minor ones) only came about with 4.5.

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2003, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by Rickster:
OmniWeb 4.5 effectively gives you bookmark synchronization

(snip...)

It's an unsupported feature in OW 4.5, as we haven't added the necessary UI to make it easy and straightforward to use. It's planned as a supported feature for 5.0
Actually, this isn't planned as a supported feature for 5.0. It'll almost certainly resurface with some good UI in a future release, though.
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

rytc
Senior User
Nov 18, 2003, 02:54 AM

Safari is near perfect for me but its lack of support for Automatic Proxy Configuration .pac files means it's unuseable for any secure when using it from My lab at the University. Having to switch to Camino (which does support them but is slower is a complete pain in the butt)

Cheers Ry

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2003, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the heads-up on Sogudi, it's an excellent little utility. I did miss the shortcut functionality from Camino.

Safari (+Sogudi) is fine for me, although I'm looking forward to giving OW5 a spin.

biscuit

dscottbuch
Nov 18, 2003, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by rytc:
Safari is near perfect for me but its lack of support for Automatic Proxy Configuration .pac files means it's unuseable for any secure when using it from My lab at the University. Having to switch to Camino (which does support them but is slower is a complete pain in the butt)

Cheers Ry
How does camino support them? Where? I see the support in Mozilla, but I prefer Camino. Any help appreciated.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 08:01 PM

On my wishlist for OS X is a central web bookmark management that can be used by every browser.

-

Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2003, 03:28 AM

Originally posted by Moonray:
On my wishlist for OS X is a central web bookmark management that can be used by every browser.

-
You can store your bookmarks in the address book both Safari and Camino are able to fetch them.

Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2003, 03:30 AM

Originally posted by rytc:

Cheers Ry
.pac files are readeable and contain the name of the proxy. Just dl them with safari, read them with bbedit and configure safari with what you read.

rytc
Senior User
Nov 21, 2003, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Ludovic Hirlimann:
.pac files are readeable and contain the name of the proxy. Just dl them with safari, read them with bbedit and configure safari with what you read.

I'm a little confused to be honest about how it works at my university. Manual proxy config settings are avaiable and when entered in Safari give me access to all the web fine, except secure sites. On a previous ocassion I looked in the .pac file and couldn't see anything about different settings for secure sites, however when I use a browser set to use the automatic proxy config, the secure sites work fine. I have to conclude that there is a setting in there but I just can't see it.

rytc
Senior User
Nov 21, 2003, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by dscottbuch:
How does camino support them? Where? I see the support in Mozilla, but I prefer Camino. Any help appreciated.
Have a look here:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/cami...oxies.html#pac

There isn't a GUI option for it yet, but it is pretty simple to implement. You have to create a plain text file called user.js within the Chimera folder within Application support and in that file enter the proxy pac's address. Works well, there is a bug though in which the first time the proxy is loaded Camino gives an error message but it will work fine from then on.

rytc
Senior User
Nov 21, 2003, 10:27 PM

Here is a portion of the proxy.pac file my uni uses. I edited out the sections which were basically just lists of sites. All I can see which is different is at the bottom it says else DIRECT. Presumably sites not in the list which includes secure sites don't use the proxy? However, how to set that up using manual proxy confi...
Any ides?

Cheers Ry

function FindProxyForURL( url, host )
{
/* i.proxy.pac */
/* if( url.indexOf( "ftp://" ) > -1
&& ( url.indexOf( "kahu" ) > -1
|| url.indexOf( "ruru" ) > -1
|| url.indexOf( "cs26" ) > -1 ) )
{
return "SOCKS gate.ec.auckland.ac.nz:1080";
}
*/

{
return "SOCKS gate.ec.auckland.ac.nz:1080";
}
if( host == "lbr.auckland.ac.nz"
|| url.substring( 0, 29 ) == "http://www.auckland.ac.nz/lbr"
|| url.substring( 0, 30 ) == "http://www2.auckland.ac.nz/lbr" )
{

}
if( host == "clorinda.catchword.com"
|| host == "advan.physiology.org"
|| host == "ajpcell.physiology.org"
|| host == "ajpendo.physiology.org"
|| host == "ajpgi.physiology.org"
|| host == "ajpheart.physiology.org"
|| host == "ajplung.physiology.org"
|| host == "ajpregu.physiology.org"
|| host == "ajprenal.physiology.org"
|| host == "intl-jap.physiology.org"