Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Widgets I (you) would like to see . . .

Widgets I (you) would like to see . . .
milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 02:58 PM

#1. Billable time timer - with suitable GUI, perhaps stacking up a Bill for every hour it runs. And a $ symbol for starting time, etc.

I'm sure others have more that they would want.
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2
|Laptop:| Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz AE BT 768MB 10.3
|Laptop 2:| Compaq 1050CA 1.4ghz Centrino 512MB Win XP Home

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 03:43 PM

I would like to have a widget that shows todays iCal-events..

cla
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 04:20 PM

I would _still_ like to have a widget showing each network connection and protocol. :>

mattyd
Senior User
May 18, 2005, 04:53 PM

Movie times

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 05:01 PM

Long thread on this also in Software; http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=249843

J

midwinter
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 05:30 PM

This is all I want, but I suppose the world may not be ready for a widget that is, um, actually useful.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
May 18, 2005, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by midwinter
This is all I want, but I suppose the world may not be ready for a widget that is, um, actually useful.

Only really useful if you actually have to do these things.

I haven't spoken to Sally in years and Joe was fired last week for running an illegal book club.

Perhaps make it so you change the names?

midwinter
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
Only really useful if you actually have to do these things.

I haven't spoken to Sally in years and Joe was fired last week for running an illegal book club.

Perhaps make it so you change the names?
Well, the real brilliance of my widget idea is that in order to operate it, you have to first make a jpg of your schedule each day. Then you have to post it to message boards. Once that's done, the widget-makers make a widget reflecting that jpg schedule!

Brilliant!

I'll bet we could even use automator to do most of the hard stuff!
( Last edited by midwinter; May 18, 2005 at 09:26 PM. )

yikes600
Forum Regular
May 18, 2005, 08:17 PM

A dictionary widget that can suggest alternatives to a mispelled word. If it's a new word to me I don't always know how to spell it, and the Apple one doesn't help.

dpfenninger
Forum Regular
May 18, 2005, 08:34 PM

Alarm clock widget....complete with multiple alarm sounds or an option to play an iTunes track.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
May 19, 2005, 12:27 AM

Well, the real brilliance of my widget idea is that in order to operate it, you have to first make a jpg of your schedule each day. Then you have to post it to message boards. Once that's done, the widget-makers make a widget reflecting that jpg schedule!
Its a great idea, but how would they get over the time delay issues, I posted a screen shot to the forum, it could be a 18 hour turn around if the widget designer is based in the US.
By that time I would have forgotten to record fear factor.

In my mind it should be staffed by a team of designers arround the world working on shifts, that would make sure it was always up to date.

Good idea, if you can work arround the issues it would be a winner!

midwinter
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
Its a great idea, but how would they get over the time delay issues, I posted a screen shot to the forum, it could be a 18 hour turn around if the widget designer is based in the US.
By that time I would have forgotten to record fear factor.

In my mind it should be staffed by a team of designers arround the world working on shifts, that would make sure it was always up to date.

Good idea, if you can work arround the issues it would be a winner!
Well, I had figured some kind of open source project would be ideal. You know. A million monkeys at a million Gimp installations and all that. This will, of course, result in inevitable ugliness, as is the case with all open source projects.

I'm really thinking about broader implications here. My widget could create a massive market of Today™ widget updaters. That would start in the US and Western Europe, but the larger question is how to keep it from being outsourced to Taiwan, Singapore, Indonesia, India, Afganistan, and Mexico.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
May 19, 2005, 01:01 AM

Well, I had figured some kind of open source project would be ideal. You know. A million monkeys at a million Gimp installations and all that. This will, of course, result in inevitable ugliness, as is the case with all open source projects.

I'm really thinking about broader implications here. My widget could create a massive market of Today™ widget updaters. That would start in the US and Western Europe, but the larger question is how to keep it from being outsourced to Taiwan, Singapore, Indonesia, India, Afganistan, and Mexico.
Yes, quality would undoutable slip if you took that route.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Forum Links
Forum Rules