Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Issue with DRM on iPod

Issue with DRM on iPod
milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2005, 10:48 PM

I'm a little bit annoyed about iTunes DRM right now. Just bought a nano, and my large music and photo libary is on my desktop PC (with 1 terbyte of storage). However, my calendar data is on my Powerbook. You'd think I'd be able to choose to sync with the PC library (music and photos) and get my addresses and calendar off the Mac. But no go; thanks DRM . . . I think this is perfectly legitimate use.

If there's a workaround, let me know.
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2
|Laptop:| Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz AE BT 768MB 10.3
|Laptop 2:| Compaq 1050CA 1.4ghz Centrino 512MB Win XP Home

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2005, 11:09 PM

Thats not a DRM limitation, it's just a design decision of the iPod. It allows you to sync only to one machine. Most MP3 players that have an auto sync feature are the same way, they allow you to set a machine to use to sync from, and any others would erase what is on the player and sync from what it has.

Only recommendation I have for you is to share the data between the systems. Either share out the music and photos folders on the Windows PC to the Mac, or export everything out of iCal for the PC (though I don't know if iCal formatted exports will work in a PC program).

All my music sits on a server in my basement, and I have it shared via a network file share. My Powerbook then has the files from the share in the iTunes library (make sure to turn off the "Copy files to the iTunes Music folder" feature), and syncs to my iPod Nano.
<This space under renovation>

torifile
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 11:11 PM

You know you can manually put contacts on the iPod by moving the .vcs files over to the "contacts" directory of a mounted iPod, right? It doesn't exactly solve the "syncing" issue, but it's a very doable workaround.

milhaus  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2005, 11:47 PM

Is it possible to copy file shared music onto your iPod? For example, if I made the Powerbook the iPod machine, can I copy the files I have on the networked share from my PC? This would be ideal, though slow (since the files would have to go through 802.11g network first, but I'm guessing this doesn't work. Or does it. Photos aren't a big deal. Neither are contacts. Calendar is, though.
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2
|Laptop:| Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz AE BT 768MB 10.3
|Laptop 2:| Compaq 1050CA 1.4ghz Centrino 512MB Win XP Home

torifile
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 11:52 PM

I think it could work. Make sure you deselect "Copy music to the library folder" in the iTunes prefs. Mount the network drive (the PC drive in this case). Add the songs to the library. Sync the iPod. Like you said, it'll be slow but it should be doable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules