Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook vs. Doggy

Powerbook vs. Doggy
Zeeb
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 07:38 PM

I've discovered that small animals are attracted to expensive objects. I was watching TV with my PB next to me on the couch with the lid closed. My roommate comes into the apartment with his friend who is accompanied by Pierre, a cute bulldog. As my roommate introduces me to his friend, fiesty Pierre jumps up onto the couch to greet me as well. I wince as the 60lb dog jumps up and lands squarely on the lid of my new powerbook, muddy paws and all. I pet Pierre and gently set him back on the floor. I played with the dog for a bit and chatted with his owner, afraid to look over at the computer.

He landed so hard on the PB I thought I was in for a $700 display repair or at the very least a dented and scratched lid. However, after wiping away the muddy paw print there is not even the slightest scratch on it, no dent and the display works fine. I had no idea these computers were so sturdy or scratch resistant--I heard his claws as he skated across the lid--but nothing. Pierre and I are still friends but I'll be watchin for him next time!

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2006, 08:02 PM

wow!!!
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

MacBook
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2006, 08:51 PM

Bow wow!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 12, 2006, 08:59 PM

Why would a dog paw have scratched it? Dog claws are made of a decidedly softer material than aluminum alloy. It doesn't surprise me in the least that it didn't cause any damage.

tooki

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 10:17 PM

I can't stand the attitude of some dog owners. The dog will ravage your crotch with his usually disgusting muzzle, and the owner will be like "Awww, look how cute he is! He likes you!" It's like "Yeah, lady ... but I don't like it, now get it away from me, it's getting me dirty and slobbering all over."

If a dog jumped up on my $1,800 Powerbook, muddy paws and all, I think I'd probably freak out and tell the owner to get that disgusting animal out of my f***ing house. Ninety-five percent of dogs are seriously annoying and gross.

milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2006, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
I can't stand the attitude of some dog owners. The dog will ravage your crotch with his usually disgusting muzzle, and the owner will be like "Awww, look how cute he is! He likes you!" It's like "Yeah, lady ... but I don't like it, now get it away from me, it's getting me dirty and slobbering all over."

If a dog jumped up on my $1,800 Powerbook, muddy paws and all, I think I'd probably freak out and tell the owner to get that disgusting animal out of my f***ing house. Ninety-five percent of dogs are seriously annoying and gross.
hmmm, for some reason, I thought your website said tomaprik.com. I wonder why?
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2
|Laptop:| Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz AE BT 768MB 10.3
|Laptop 2:| Compaq 1050CA 1.4ghz Centrino 512MB Win XP Home

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2006, 11:52 PM

My best friend's dog has made the plastic of his iBook resemble a half-revealed scratch and win card ... Yay Aluminum!

bloodline
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2006, 07:12 AM

I was on the Tube one busy morning, and someone accidentally trod on my bag as they got up to get off the train... I heard the sound of crunching breaking plastic... and imagined what the state of my 12" PowerBook would be like when I dared to look... It's fine, not even a dent or a scratch. These things are pretty robust!

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 09:59 AM

I had assumed that since it was made of aluminum, that my PB would have the same durability as an empty soda can. That's why I was so surprised. I guess as Tooki said, the claws of the dog aren't as hard as metal--but I thought that the PB was actually painted and that was what would scratch.

theokandroid
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by bloodline
I was on the Tube one busy morning, and someone accidentally trod on my bag as they got up to get off the train... I heard the sound of crunching breaking plastic... and imagined what the state of my 12" PowerBook would be like when I dared to look... It's fine, not even a dent or a scratch. These things are pretty robust!
That made me cringe just hearing it

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2006, 11:02 AM

I was in such a rush a couple of days ago to go to school that I stuffed my 2 month old Powerbook in my backpack without the knowledge that there was scissors in there for some reason. When I got there and looked at my powerbook, I was about to cry! Oh well, it's bound to scratch sooner or later but not like this.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

oflorey87
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2006, 12:23 PM

Dogs and PowerBooks don't mix. My dog dragged my PowerBook of the bed when an ethernet cable was plugged in. The port was destroyed and because we're not allowed wireless internet access at university, I thought I was buggered. Fortunately, I found some sort of USB adapter thing that seems to work. You're very lucky

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
I was in such a rush a couple of days ago to go to school that I stuffed my 2 month old Powerbook in my backpack without the knowledge that there was scissors in there for some reason. When I got there and looked at my powerbook, I was about to cry! Oh well, it's bound to scratch sooner or later but not like this.
You put it in your backpack without a slipcase?

ARE YOU MAD?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2006, 01:17 PM

This thread is no good without the classic photo:

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2006, 01:28 PM

And yet decidedly less dirty than if a female (or male!) of the human persuasion did the same with her (or his, yes) more bacterially bountiful boca.

I guess some people bitch about dogs and dog about bitches. The rest of us just don't care.

To tooki: dog nails vary veritably.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

romeosc
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by oflorey87
Dogs and PowerBooks don't mix. My dog dragged my PowerBook of the bed when an ethernet cable was plugged in. The port was destroyed and because we're not allowed wireless internet access at university, I thought I was buggered. Fortunately, I found some sort of USB adapter thing that seems to work. You're very lucky

They also make PCslot nic cards.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras
This thread is no good without the classic photo:

good to see a pc laptop put to good use...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
You put it in your backpack without a slipcase?

ARE YOU MAD?
Yes, I am
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
And yet decidedly less dirty than if a female (or male!) of the human persuasion did the same with her (or his, yes) more bacterially bountiful boca.

I guess some people bitch about dogs and dog about bitches. The rest of us just don't care.

Hey, if you're justifying fellatio from a dog as being cleaner than fellatio from a female, then that's your choice.

Keep it to yourself.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2006, 06:26 PM

Hey, if you're justifying fellatio from a dog as being cleaner than fellatio from a female, then that's your choice.

Keep it to yourself.
All I meant was lighten up
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 2, 2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
NO dog has claws harder than aluminum. Claws (like human fingernails) are made of keratin, a protein that, while hard, is clearly softer than aluminum.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules