Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > May 20th organized rally against apple "Whine"

May 20th organized rally against apple "Whine"
Elixir
May 4, 2006, 08:26 AM

apparently people are getting together on the 20th to call up apple and complain all at once.

http://osx86project.org/

hell i'll do it, i hope anyone who owns a MBP will as well.

quilmes
Forum Regular
May 4, 2006, 09:15 AM

that's pretty cool.

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2006, 10:28 AM

I sure hope it's the day the whining ends, because I'm getting sick and tired of all the whiny threads...

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by MovieCutter
I sure hope it's the day the whining ends, because I'm getting sick and tired of all the whiny threads...
Ha ha ha, whoa funny! I've never heard this joke before--you are so creative!

quilmes
Forum Regular
May 4, 2006, 11:29 AM

what percentage of MBPs have whining issues? i know its a big problem, but i haven't seen anything on the cover of the NYT complaing about

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Elixir
apparently people are getting together on the 20th to call up apple and complain all at once.

http://osx86project.org/

hell i'll do it, i hope anyone who owns a MBP will as well.
yeah i posted a thread about it here, but i wanted to add, if you have a digg account, digg it. that will help give the effort some publicity. might end up on diggnation, twit, or other places.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by smellycat
what percentage of MBPs have whining issues? i know its a big problem, but i haven't seen anything on the cover of the NYT complaing about
based on what have seen, and that website that was the poll, 50-85% of machines. in many was the question should not be does your have noise, but does the noise bother you? most users would say yes, but some would say no.

this issue doesnt need the cover of nyt, it just needs enough traction to get picked up by a few key sites/blogs/podcasts. right now it has 1400 diggs, only needs about 200 more to make diggnation.
Computers:

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Ha ha ha, whoa funny! I've never heard this joke before--you are so creative!
I wasn't trying to be creative, or funny, merely stating my opinion. You on the other hand, your sarcasm needs a bit of work.

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
50-85% of machines.

That is one of the most laughable claims I've seen made this week. You have NO idea how many of these machines Apple has sold. How many people do you know who post and say "MY MACBOOK PRO IS PERFECT!!! WOOO HOOO!!!" That is ridiculous and idiotic, 50-85% would constitute a mass recall.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 02:10 PM

"I wasn't trying to be creative, or funny, merely stating my opinion. You on the other hand, your sarcasm needs a bit of work."

hmm. It's just there seems to be a large number of people such as yourself who believe that customers with defective computers from Apple should just shut up. Over and over and over again these individuals make the not-so-unique analogy between the whining noise of these defective machines and, in your opinion the fact that customers who want to have defective products fixed are "whiners".

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2006, 03:52 PM

"I wasn't trying to be creative, or funny, merely stating my opinion. You on the other hand, your sarcasm needs a bit of work."

hmm. It's just there seems to be a large number of people such as yourself who believe that customers with defective computers from Apple should just shut up. Over and over and over again these individuals make the not-so-unique analogy between the whining noise of these defective machines and, in your opinion the fact that customers who want to have defective products fixed are "whiners".
No, they shouldn't shut up...I never said they should. You seem to be taking my comments out of context and should consider other meanings before grouping me in with others. But do we really need a dozen threads about it? Speak up by all means, but speak up to Apple and keep the bitching and moaning to one thread. I'm all for complaining about a defective product, but complain to people who CAN ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!! or keep it to a single line of thought...clear?

elcheapo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2006, 05:22 PM

On May 20th we should all take off from work, school, etc...march out into the streets, hold signs that say Stop The Whine Now. I can see it now a Million Whine March to Cupertino

Elixir  (op)
May 4, 2006, 09:42 PM

seriously i say we all call. i know i will

there is no reason not to.

skyman
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 11:30 PM

I am now on my 4th MBP with the whine, so I will indeed be calling!
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

kitcho
May 5, 2006, 03:19 AM

1st gen product, some people dont realize the first wave of product will have certain inherent product issues or flaws. It comes with the territory.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2006, 03:20 AM

That is one of the most laughable claims I've seen made this week. You have NO idea how many of these machines Apple has sold. How many people do you know who post and say "MY MACBOOK PRO IS PERFECT!!! WOOO HOOO!!!" That is ridiculous and idiotic, 50-85% would constitute a mass recall.
Computers:

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2006, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by kitcho
1st gen product, some people dont realize the first wave of product will have certain inherent product issues or flaws. It comes with the territory.
more lameness, that has nothing to do with why apple has not addressed the issue and continues to ship machines with this problem.
Computers:

Tuoder
Mac Elite
May 5, 2006, 03:39 AM

50-85% would constitute a mass recall.
I am not so sure. The whine does not actually seems to directly interfere with the operation of the computer. There is also the question of how much the whine actually bothers people. While I have not personally heard the whine, I would think that if the noise was really really terrible, than people would be returning the en masse, which would, in turn produce a rather quick fix from Apple. If you hit a dorporation in the pocketbook, it hurts.

Elixir  (op)
May 5, 2006, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tuoder
I am not so sure. The whine does not actually seems to directly interfere with the operation of the computer. There is also the question of how much the whine actually bothers people. While I have not personally heard the whine, I would think that if the noise was really really terrible, than people would be returning the en masse, which would, in turn produce a rather quick fix from Apple. If you hit a dorporation in the pocketbook, it hurts.
here is the thing...

some whines are louder than others. let me tell you...

i've had 2 mbp's now and the whine on the first was not as high pitched as this one that i have now. funny huh?

i'm thinking of going in and exchanging for another one but i'm scared to do it since this one doesnt have heat issues or anything else besides the damn whine

also, the reason people dont go back and complain in massive quantities like you speak of is because not everyone can hear it, which sucks, cuz it is def there.

you have to be in a somewhat quiet setting depending on how loud your whine is.

skyman
Mac Elite
May 5, 2006, 08:12 AM

You are 100% incorrect!!!

This is NOT a first generation product. A majority or the MBP components come from the previous PowerBook.

In addition, the first generation theory is bogus and always has been. I have owned four PowerBooks and the MBP is the first one with an issue.

Even week 17 builds have the whine.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 5, 2006, 02:31 PM

No, they shouldn't shut up...I never said they should. You seem to be taking my comments out of context and should consider other meanings before grouping me in with others. But do we really need a dozen threads about it? Speak up by all means, but speak up to Apple and keep the bitching and moaning to one thread. I'm all for complaining about a defective product, but complain to people who CAN ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!! or keep it to a single line of thought...clear?
Fine, but I believe the point of this thread is to organize people to complain to Apple who can actually do something about it--just as you stated above. This issue has indeed spread to multiple threads and I know that is probably annoying to people. However, don't you believe its constant discussion and resurgence is telling? If you are tired of reading about this issue, don't open the thread to begin with. . .

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2006, 02:39 PM

Wake up sleepy head and show me some proof for your outlandish claims...

Fine, but I believe the point of this thread is to organize people to complain to Apple who can actually do something about it--just as you stated above. This issue has indeed spread to multiple threads and I know that is probably annoying to people. However, don't you believe its constant discussion and resurgence is telling? If you are tired of reading about this issue, don't open the thread to begin with. . .
Yes, it is telling, but the only thing it tells me is that the voice of those with problems is louder than that of those without. There's no evidence to suggest this is a majority issue.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2006, 03:57 PM

Wake up sleepy head and show me some proof for your outlandish claims...

Yes, it is telling, but the only thing it tells me is that the voice of those with problems is louder than that of those without. There's no evidence to suggest this is a majority issue.
I yawn because you are clearly an angry little person who is out to troll.
like I said this is based on what I have see and the online polls all the ones I say seen show that one is more likely to has the whine then not. now in the many hours of my life I have spent at apples nyc soho store, I asked every person I saw with a mbp if they had the noise, so far not one has said they did not. now one could say that everyone whose there is there for a problem, nevermind the procare one on ones. or that nyc is just getting a bad lot. or that old ladies there for a one on one and young urbanites there for ipod issues all tell the same lie or that everyone is lying and that there is nothing wrong at all. or maybe some people have the noise and others do not.

you are just being a troll who offers nothing to the thread and its boring. so I yawn.
Computers:

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2006, 05:02 PM

I agree, this is a very wide spread problem and not acceptable.

My friend got one, it was a week 15 i believe. It had the whine (very annoying) and it got hot as all hell on the bottom left.

I am actually holding off buying one until this problem is 100% fixed.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

masugu
Senior User
May 5, 2006, 05:33 PM

What sort of whine do you think the 13.3 " MacBook will have??? Will it have a more pleasing timbre? Will it be less powerful than the 15"

volcano
Senior User
May 5, 2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by masugu
What sort of whine do you think the 13.3 " MacBook will have??? Will it have a more pleasing timbre? Will it be less powerful than the 15"
We'd better start a petition/rally right away for the 13.3" MacBook whine, just to be safe!

elcheapo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2006, 03:03 PM

Yesterday I saw a parade and thought that was the rally so I joined in and chanted "MacBook Pro, no more whine", while people around me chanted "Cinco De Mayo, bring more wine."

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2006, 04:23 PM

I yawn because you are clearly an angry little person who is out to troll.
like I said this is based on what I have see and the online polls all the ones I say seen show that one is more likely to has the whine then not. now in the many hours of my life I have spent at apples nyc soho store, I asked every person I saw with a mbp if they had the noise, so far not one has said they did not. now one could say that everyone whose there is there for a problem, nevermind the procare one on ones. or that nyc is just getting a bad lot. or that old ladies there for a one on one and young urbanites there for ipod issues all tell the same lie or that everyone is lying and that there is nothing wrong at all. or maybe some people have the noise and others do not.

you are just being a troll who offers nothing to the thread and its boring. so I yawn.
I'm not angry, I'm annoyed. Why would I be angry? Troll huh?

MACS SUCK, WINDOWS IS TEH SUXXORS!!!!! <--troll behavior

Questioning why we need a dozen threads to complain about an issue that can't be resolved by anyone in the community and not going to the right people to get that issue resolved...<---member of a community behavior

Your maturity level<---priceless.

Get it straight.

Elixir  (op)
May 6, 2006, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by elcheapo
Yesterday I saw a parade and thought that was the rally so I joined in and chanted "MacBook Pro, no more whine", while people around me chanted "Cinco De Mayo, bring more wine."
hahahaha.

so whose all calling in?

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2006, 01:48 AM

I'm not angry, I'm annoyed. Why would I be angry? Troll huh?

MACS SUCK, WINDOWS IS TEH SUXXORS!!!!! <--troll behavior

Questioning why we need a dozen threads to complain about an issue that can't be resolved by anyone in the community and not going to the right people to get that issue resolved...<---member of a community behavior

Your maturity level<---priceless.

Get it straight.
boring and pointless trolling.
-------------------
anyway, the web is too slow on my pda for me to go to the digg site and see the rating or if it will be mentioned on diggnation or on twit.
Computers:

milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2006, 09:22 PM

Ha ha ha. This is an excellent idea. Try calling on May 20th, wait on hold for hours on end as many other protestors call in, and waste your own time to hear Apple reps say "within spec."

If I were Apple, I would launch the MacBook on May 20th; that way the protestors would be caught in a dilemma - participate in the protest, or spend hours blogging / discussing the new MacBooks in a chat room or forum from the comfort of their mothers' basements.

Just a note: the guy who is organizing the protest over at the osx86 forums doesn't even own a MacBook Pro. Is he going to pay the $39.99 for a support call?
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2
|Laptop:| Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz AE BT 768MB 10.3
|Laptop 2:| Compaq 1050CA 1.4ghz Centrino 512MB Win XP Home

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2006, 09:26 PM

boring and pointless trolling.
-------------------
anyway, the web is too slow on my pda for me to go to the digg site and see the rating or if it will be mentioned on diggnation or on twit.
You really are naive aren't you. I guess the fact that I've owned every Powerbook since the Titanium and every Power Mac G5 since the Dual 2.5 doesn't mean anything. I also own three MBPs, no problems on any of them thanks very much.

victorwu
Baninated
May 9, 2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by milhaus
Ha ha ha. This is an excellent idea. Try calling on May 20th, wait on hold for hours on end as many other protestors call in, and waste your own time to hear Apple reps say "within spec."

If I were Apple, I would launch the MacBook on May 20th; that way the protestors would be caught in a dilemma - participate in the protest, or spend hours blogging / discussing the new MacBooks in a chat room or forum from the comfort of their mothers' basements.

Just a note: the guy who is organizing the protest over at the osx86 forums doesn't even own a MacBook Pro. Is he going to pay the $39.99 for a support call?
I think many of us are missing the point of the "rally." It is not intended to produce an end result on May 20. No one, on May 20 should expect a support agent to say "Ah! You're absoultely correct. This can't go on. Here is what the deal is..."
The key point is that, whether people agree with the complaints or not, Apple has not addressed any MBP issues either via support or press release. THIS is maddening piece.

People have pointed out that we should keep in mind that which we can control. I think that this is key. We cannot force Apple to remedy the alleged (although I believe real) issues with MacBook Pro. We also cannot force Apple to address the issues. But addressing the issues is a start. Is it the thermal grease? Is it a design flaw? Firmware? We'd all like to think we know, but only Apple knows. And I, for one, would like them to share some of this knowledge. Or, at least, provide a software means to means to measure processor temperature so that we do not have to rely on infrared thermometors (for many of us, screenshots of them).

May 20 is an effort for us to SPEAK our concerns to apple. Calls are logged, and Apple might respond in some way. Mass recall? Doubtful. Telling us what the bloody hell is wrong with a lot of these machines: possible. But for those of you planning on calling, be good customers of a company you respect. Don't yell, or be sarcastic, or even shrewd with the support agents. First of all, it's not their faults that Apple has not pubicly addressed the complaints, or provided support agents with info about the heat/sound issues. They are working people, who are answering phones. They are merely the messengers, and as infuriating is it is to hear "in spec," they most likely have no other information.

As for the wait times- they'll undoubtably be very long. I'm going to call from my office speaker phone. I'm not going to sit with a phone wedged against a sweaty ear. I'm also not expecting the support agent to tell me anything I haven't heard before. But I'm going to call and be heard. That is all any of us can control: whether or not we express ourselves to Apple

Personally, I love my MBP- it flies. But for 3 g's, I don't think it should get this bloody hot. So I'll call and hope that my call, along with many other peoples' calls, will give Apple incentive to address the issue. Even if they don't, at least we tried.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2006, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by richmac
I think many of us are missing the point of the "rally." It is not intended to produce an end result on May 20. No one, on May 20 should expect a support agent to say "Ah! You're absoultely correct. This can't go on. Here is what the deal is..."
The key point is that, whether people agree with the complaints or not, Apple has not addressed any MBP issues either via support or press release. THIS is maddening piece.

People have pointed out that we should keep in mind that which we can control. I think that this is key. We cannot force Apple to remedy the alleged (although I believe real) issues with MacBook Pro. We also cannot force Apple to address the issues. But addressing the issues is a start. Is it the thermal grease? Is it a design flaw? Firmware? We'd all like to think we know, but only Apple knows. And I, for one, would like them to share some of this knowledge. Or, at least, provide a software means to means to measure processor temperature so that we do not have to rely on infrared thermometors (for many of us, screenshots of them).

May 20 is an effort for us to SPEAK our concerns to apple. Calls are logged, and Apple might respond in some way. Mass recall? Doubtful. Telling us what the bloody hell is wrong with a lot of these machines: possible. But for those of you planning on calling, be good customers of a company you respect. Don't yell, or be sarcastic, or even shrewd with the support agents. First of all, it's not their faults that Apple has not pubicly addressed the complaints, or provided support agents with info about the heat/sound issues. They are working people, who are answering phones. They are merely the messengers, and as infuriating is it is to hear "in spec," they most likely have no other information.

As for the wait times- they'll undoubtably be very long. I'm going to call from my office speaker phone. I'm not going to sit with a phone wedged against a sweaty ear. I'm also not expecting the support agent to tell me anything I haven't heard before. But I'm going to call and be heard. That is all any of us can control: whether or not we express ourselves to Apple

Personally, I love my MBP- it flies. But for 3 g's, I don't think it should get this bloody hot. So I'll call and hope that my call, along with many other peoples' calls, will give Apple incentive to address the issue. Even if they don't, at least we tried.
very well put!!! I agree one hundred percent. most of the individual I have spoken with about the problems with my mac book have been very understanding and polite. I hope that on the twentieth those of us that call are equally polite
Computers:

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2006, 09:06 PM

haha, great pun
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Commodus
Mac Elite
May 10, 2006, 06:53 PM

However it goes down, I hope Apple at least takes notice. I may not have a MacBook Pro for some time (if ever), but if I get one I'd like to know that it behaves properly!
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Recontech
Forum Regular
May 11, 2006, 06:24 PM

Considering the premium price we all pay for Apple hardware, everyone should call.

At the price we pay for this equipment, there should be minimal errors. I'm not being ridiculous in saying there should be no errors, just minimal.
Blackhole Forums

Discuss Computers, Technology, Philosophy

Forum Links
Forum Rules