Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How do I get NetShare back?

How do I get NetShare back?
[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2008, 09:20 PM

Hi all,

I had to get my iPhone replaced yesterday. When I got the new one home and synced it with iTunes, I realized I was missing something -- the controversial NetShare app.

This wasn't some nefariousness on Apple's part -- I just hadn't backed up my previous iPhone before it died suddenly on Monday. But I have a couple of questions:

1. If I download an app, don't back up my iPhone, and then have to restore, can I download that app again free of charge from the App Store?

If the answer's yes, I have a second question:

2. If I've bought an app that has since been pulled from the App Store, am I entitled to a refund? I paid $9.99 plus tax for this thing.

Thanks for any advice,
Mike

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2008, 11:01 PM

1) Yes; just click buy and you won't be charged.

2) On one hand I'd like to assume yes (given the answer above), but I can see it going the other way (no different than losing a CD with software you buy or losing a song downloaded from iTMS).

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2008, 11:03 PM

You're SoL until the app is added back unless the company directly refunds you the money.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2008, 03:20 AM

If it were on the store, you could just download it again and you wouldn't be charged.

Unfortunately, since it's been removed from the store you can't get it back.

If you know somebody else who has it, you could copy the file from this person and use their AppleStore ID to activate it. Of course your computer will then count as one of this person's five allowed activations. You will find the actual file at ~/Music/iTunes/MobileApplications/.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2008, 02:11 PM

Netshare people say they're working to get it back on the App store but we'll see.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2008, 06:26 PM

oinkuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2008, 08:14 PM

If you end up getting netshare back, here's a good blog post on how to get it to work on Vista:
http://www.shahine.com/omar/HowToTet...EasySteps.aspx

MikeD
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2008, 01:08 AM

I would like to know how to get it to work with firefox, mail.app, iweb, and most importantly for me, iCal (For updating calendars that get posted online).
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2008, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I would like to know how to get it to work with firefox, mail.app, iweb, and most importantly for me, iCal (For updating calendars that get posted online).
That won't work with the current version. It doesn't forward the ports needed for these applications. I'm sure the developers would be planning to include this with a future release, but right now they're probably more worried if there will ever be a release re-release.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2008, 07:10 AM

I am pretty sure that you can set up the proxy settings within FF. I looked at it, but couldn't be bothered to jump through the required hoops. Safari respects system wide settings, so I just used that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules