Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > using smartmedia (or CF) reader

using smartmedia (or CF) reader
hotani
Senior User
Nov 15, 2001, 05:51 PM

thanks to theBum, I have found a great workaround so I don't have to boot into 9 to upload my digital camera images using my SanDisk imagemate SmartMedia reader.

this was posted by TheBum
Why do you need to reboot into 9.2? Why not do it through the Classic environment of OS X? When I had my SanDisk USB SmartMedia reader (and now with my MicroTech ZiO! reader), I could use it just fine in Classic with a little trick. The card mounts in Classic but you can only see it from Classic apps. All you have to do is enable FTP logins in OS X and then use a Classic FTP client (I use Fetch 3.0.3) to FTP the files between Classic and OS X. To eject the card, you can use the Eject button in the Send or Get dialog within Fetch.
I got it to work with fetch, but wanted something better so I tried Graphic Converter (classic version NOT carbon). Open the 'Convert More' window and just hit 'copy' to get the images. Really easy, and to eject, just hit the 'eject' button in the same window.

This is going to save me a lot of time, and I don't think I have any reason at all anymore to reboot into OS9.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

+ spiral +
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2001, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by hotani:
<STRONG>thanks to theBum, I have found a great workaround so I don't have to boot into 9 to upload my digital camera images using my SanDisk imagemate SmartMedia reader.</STRONG>
I don't use Graphic Converter but if you just navigate through to your desktop from an "Open" command from Photoshop or something similar, you can see them. This is perhaps what you are saying, but i'm not certain. So any Classic app will allow you to see the desktop with the card mounted. Thanks for posting about this. It's a frustrating issue. Have you tried using a card reader since the 10.1.1 update?

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Nov 15, 2001, 06:49 PM

yes, the card reader is still unsupported with 10.1.1.

I know any classic app can see the 'disk', but GraphicConverter happens to have a good mechanism (convert more) to select all the images and copy them to a directory on the hard drive.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

me
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2001, 11:59 PM

Do ANY smartmedia cards work?

hotani  (op)
Senior User
Nov 16, 2001, 02:00 AM

For me, this is a SmartMedia card reader (SanDisk Imagemate) that works in 9.2, but has no driver in X 10.1.1, so does not work natively. I think the above technique will allow you to use any smartmedia device (that works in 9 but not X) through the classic environment instead of having to reboot into 9.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

dscottbuch
Nov 18, 2001, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by me:
<STRONG>Do ANY smartmedia cards work?</STRONG>
Yes, I got this technique to work just fine with my Camedia USB smartmedia reader(MAUSB-1) from Olympus. javascript: x() This should work just fine until they get the driver they say their working on done. I especially like the Graphicconverter approach suggested above.

Forum Links
Forum Rules