Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Official Jaguar bug list thread

Official Jaguar bug list thread (Page 2)
kennethmac2000
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
Here's something you will want to know, while it's not a bug, I just wanted those putting it to the paces to check out this feature. iChat will resume file transfers, it will ask to replace but you will notice it resumes them! Yeah!
But does Finder FTP?

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 07:09 PM

Anyone who has Classic installed, what does typing AppleSystemProfiler at the command line do in 10.2?

AppleSystemProfiler in 10.2 is simply a shell script which runs an AppleScript which runs AppleSystemProfiler. However, on my machine it always runs the Classic version of Apple System Profiler unless I delete the Classic version from my hard drive.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by piracy:

Define "broken".
I am able to start the SAMBA server via the Sharing prefpane, but the services are not available. When I scan the box, the necessary ports do not seem to be opened. There is no place to enter the workgroup other than /etc/samba/smb.conf (or something like that), but how many people would know to do that? SWAT does not start (nor should it really) but it is there. An actual Windows box does not "see" any exported shares in the Network Neighborhood, and I cannot manually mount the share if I type in \\name\share or the IP. In other words, it's broked.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2002, 09:36 PM

People are reporting alto of bugs that don't exist. If you have finder window rendering bugs, bugs with ichat file transfers, it is your install of 6c115. Do a clean install. As far as file transfers in iChat. If they aren't working it's probably your proxie or something else, because as we speak i'm transfering 200mb across iChat.

Also, there are NO finder display bugs, on ly the one with FTP, if something isn't displaying right it's you. Simple as that.

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2002, 10:57 PM

Just out of curiosity, are you all running the legally released Jaguar or are those bugs from the Hotline/Carracho 6C115 build?

JRT
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2002, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:
Okay, here goes:

�_Retrospect won't work in Jag
Dantz just released and update for 10.2
JRT

Subzero Diesel949
Aug 17, 2002, 02:16 PM

I don't know if this has been covered, but:

� The password bugs still exist. The system puts in many of these ==> ���������� instead of what corresponds to the password. It's really annoying because you think that your password has been messed up.
( Last edited by Subzero Diesel949; Aug 17, 2002 at 08:30 PM. )

Subzero Diesel949
Aug 17, 2002, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by JRT:

Thanks for the info.

Subzero Diesel949
Aug 17, 2002, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Jerome:
Just out of curiosity, are you all running the legally released Jaguar or are those bugs from the Hotline/Carracho 6C115 build?
Some of us are running the 6C115 developer release (or a copy of it).

SpiffyGuyC
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2002, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Jerome:
The official Jaguar version is build 6C115. There is absolutely no difference between what's in the box and the ADC/Hotline/Carracho build.

S

Aussie John
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2002, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:
The system puts in many of these ==> ���������� instead of what corresponds to the password.

Isn't that a feature so a casual person has a harder time guessing your password.
John

Ibson
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2002, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by Aussie John:

Isn't that a feature so a casual person has a harder time guessing your password.
Indeed it is. It's been a feature of the Mac for as long as I can remember�no one wants someone peeking over their shoulder looking at their password .

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Aug 18, 2002, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
Also, there are NO finder display bugs, on ly the one with FTP, if something isn't displaying right it's you. Simple as that.
How do you know there are no Finder display bugs? Have you tested every possible combination of Finder display tasks known to man? I can assure you that if I set my Applications folder (which has >100 items in it) to Keep arranged by name with an icon size of 32 x 32 and with a window wide enough to display at least 3 icons, I get a whole lot of empty white space where icons should be.

And what do you mean "if something isn't displaying right it's you"? Do you mean I'm imagining it, or do you mean that it's my fault that the Finder has a bug?

Zim
Senior User
Aug 18, 2002, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by cowerd:

Apple also has developed some software that works with digital photos and digital cameras. It has thumbnails and different display states. It even does rudimentary and its free. You might try that instead.

ps: its called iPhoto
That was a useless reply, unless you are suggesting iPhoto replaces Preview for ALL uses (in which case why did they update Preview???)

Preview 2.0's behavior still is poorly designed from a Human Interface. Being unable (that I could find) to open mutliple pictures into multiple windows with one drag (group select) and Open command is poor. Also there is no way I found to close jus one of those opened pics without closing them all.

So please defend the behavior of this tool, not prattle on about how some other tool would meet needs you do not understand.

Mike

dscottbuch
Aug 18, 2002, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by sinebubble:
I use a monitor with a keyboard and mouse with my Pismo at work. I discovered this morning that the laptop will not send its default display to a monitor when it's attached. The system boots normally until the finder launches when it suddenly goes to sleep. I can only wake the system up by using the laptop keyboard and then I find the default video on the laptop display.

I have it working now by keeping the lid open and moving the menu bar from the laptop to the monitor under the Displays Arrangement section. Sucks.
FYI I have exactly this arragement - Pizmo and external monitor and keyboard. This works fine for me. At work the Pizmo automatically put the main screen on the external and reverts to normal when disconnected. Even 'Detect Displays' works as I expect.

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Aug 18, 2002, 02:44 PM

Oh, and yet another example of Apple's US-centrism...

In Calculator, the last updated time for currency exchange rates uses the 12-hour clock. Why on earth can't they get this internationalization thing sorted once and for all, across the whole OS?

memento
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2002, 09:22 PM

ok. I did a "reformat my HD and install" 10.2 installation just to be sure I got a clean install. For the first time ever, my system froze completely. It was harmlessly running VPC in the background when it all just froze. I left it for 30 minutes - it was frozen good.

Occaisionally I lose mouse functionality on my Kensington wireless trackball. I can't customize toolbars, it doesn't work at all in VPC, when selecting text, I can't copy/paste when I select using the trackball. I tried switching it with my hockey puck, but it still does the same thing. I have to restart to get it back.

My SanDisk USB compactflash cardreader no longer works at all.
Now I have to start booting into 9 again so that I can access my digital photos. That's a step backwards.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2002, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by kennethmac2000:
I assume everyone who's used 10.2 for more than 24 hours will have spotted the Finder's lovely rendering bug when icon view windows are kept arranged by name.

For those of you that haven't, I currently have a folder with 10 items with it, the icons for which are spread over 10 lines with an average of 1 icon per line (the icons are 32x32 and the window is about half the width of the screen)!
I've been using it for over a week and all of my windows are arranged by name. I've never seen this bug.

-matt

Subzero Diesel949
Aug 19, 2002, 01:13 AM

Now here's a serious fsck-up:

Go to System Prefs => Accounts and try to set capabilities for a non-admin user. Restrict a few apps. Better yet, uncheck a few things toward the top of the pane. Or maybe do one or the other (unchecking either the apps or the things up top). Now have the person attempt to log in. All they will get is a hung "Logging In..." screen with the "barber shop" meter. The only way out of it is a force restart, and the only way the person can ever log in again is by creating a new user account. The fix? Use permissions from Get Info a la pre-Jaguar.

This occurred on an iBook 600 and an iBook 300; 256 MB and 160 MB RAM, respectively.

Oh yeah, I too have a problem with password remembrance for AFP/CIFS connections.

Subzero Diesel949
Aug 19, 2002, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by Aussie John:

Well, if that is a "feature," it is inconsistent. Two examples? Go to the .Mac tab in the Internet pane. There is a lot more of those dots than what your password actually is. Now try Accounts. The dots correspond to how many characters the password is made up of, which has seemed to be always the case.

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Aug 19, 2002, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by ratlater:
I've been using it for over a week and all of my windows are arranged by name. I've never seen this bug.
OK. Lucky you. However, I have seen it (and continue to see it) in several places...

[picture removed]
( Last edited by kennethmac2000; Aug 22, 2002 at 05:20 AM. )

tenchi71
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2002, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by dark3lf:

I am able to start the SAMBA server via the Sharing prefpane, but the services are not available. When I scan the box, the necessary ports do not seem to be opened. There is no place to enter the workgroup other than /etc/samba/smb.conf (or something like that), but how many people would know to do that? SWAT does not start (nor should it really) but it is there. An actual Windows box does not "see" any exported shares in the Network Neighborhood, and I cannot manually mount the share if I type in \\name\share or the IP. In other words, it's broked.
I think I know what your problem may be...
Go to the utilities folder and open the Directory Access app. In there you can change the Workgroup name for the machine in smb. I too had that problem until I changed the smb name from WORKGROUP to my local LAN's name. After I did this I saw the shares.
Yup, dat's moi...

niconono
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2002, 11:06 AM

I've found a bug in mail app: if you try to add a 8-bit JPEG file as an attachment mail will hang and you'll have to force-quit.
Quite annoying if you scan B&W pics and want to send them !

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2002, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by kennethmac2000:

OK. Lucky you. However, I have seen it (and continue to see it) in several places...

This bug is so damn irritating and mine isn't even as bad as kenneththemac2000's.

I get the first few lines filled up with icons normally, and then maybe a couple of icons on the next line, etc.

And VPC seems to be 10X slower. See this thread.

Oh and the Energy Saver thing. Is it a bug or just a poor flow to the interface, because it makes no sense to me.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 19, 2002, 11:28 AM

Snap to Grid is broken. Sometimes it just won't let you drag an icon to an available spot. Just slides it back to its original position.

Annoying as hell. Hopefully, they'll have this fixed in 10.2.1...
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

King Kong
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2002, 12:17 PM

>People are reporting alto of bugs that don't exist. If you have finder window rendering bugs, bugs with ichat file transfers, it is your install of 6c115.<

These bugs exist even on the new dual 1ghz machines with 6c115 preinstalled and the new 17 inch iMacs.

Even if it did not exist in these machines, "the install" should have no effect. I consider an OS release bugless when someone can upgrade without having to do a clean install and have everything work ok.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2002, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by dscottbuch:

FYI I have exactly this arragement - Pizmo and external monitor and keyboard. This works fine for me. At work the Pizmo automatically put the main screen on the external and reverts to normal when disconnected. Even 'Detect Displays' works as I expect.
I'm using a Radeon 8500 on a DP450...

Detect displays only seems to work in one direction. In other words, there is no 'Undetect Displays'. This is annoying since using the svideo out cuts my 64meg card down to 32 for my vga display. Also, there is no way to uncheck the 'Television' menu item in the displays menu. Perhaps its for the same reason that the ATI configuration utility won't let you disable television output once its been switched on.

Only solution... reboot. So much for my uptime mongering. ;-)

diskobolos
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2002, 09:21 PM

Here's a bug I just noticed. See if you can reproduce it.

1. Set your desktop picture to rotate. (mine's on 15 mins)

2. Open up Process Viewer and quit the dock. (cmd opt q)

On my machine this will also change the desktop picture. It's really noticable if you use dockdisks , I just download a couple apps off versiontracker and everytime one unstuffed and an image mounted my background picture would change.

sandman
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2002, 10:17 PM

I just noticed three bugs in a row. First, files on the desktop that have an icon preview, in my case a group of jpgs, don't appear any different when selected. This is a big deal in my opinion and needs to be remedied quickly. Second, my "All windows" view options are not applying to all windows, particularly those spawned by SLF from the menu bar. Third, and I didn't get a screen shot of it, but three files that were moved into a folder failed to be visually taken from their original location. Selecting the remains made them disappear however.
sandman
17" PowerBook/OS X.4.2/60GB/1G/Airport Express/iPod 20GB (Click Wheel)

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2002, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by tenchi71:

I think I know what your problem may be...
Go to the utilities folder and open the Directory Access app. In there you can change the Workgroup name for the machine in smb. I too had that problem until I changed the smb name from WORKGROUP to my local LAN's name. After I did this I saw the shares.
Great I'll try that, thanks! That is counter intuitive however, someone needs to make a prefpane that replaces the functionality of SWAT.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2002, 08:11 AM

as far as the ������� showing to many for the password, it's been doing this for quite sometime. This is to protect the length of the password, Windows, Unix, and Mac all do this. This is not a bug. This is a DAMN good feature. I'm sure if your passwords messed up you will actaully know..

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2002, 10:19 AM

A couple things i've noticed:
in iChat, if you go to change the name of a buddy (from a screen name to a real name, either typed in or from the address book) an error comes up with NSSomething invalid pointer; i forget what it was, but it seems like a bad thing to see in a shipping piece of software.

Spring-loaded folders also seem to let you drag something into itself in column view. click to show a folder. Drag one of its contents into the next upper (to the left) pane of the column view. if you drag it over its own folder, it won't highlight, at first. Drag it over another one, then back over its own folder, then it will spring-load, and let you attempt to move it into the folder where it already is. not sure if that's actually a problem.

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2002, 11:13 AM

No, that release was for the Retrospect client. Users of Retrospect Express/Desktop/Server are still waiting for a fix.

altimac
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2002, 11:53 AM

i have a folder containing files owned by root

when duplicating the folder, it says that he can't copy all the files and offer to "skip" the file(s) with root privileges...

but in fact it doesn't skip, it doesn't copy the folder at all

this worked in 10.1

b5garak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2002, 12:46 AM

I think I may have found a bug in iChat. Go into prefrences and click on messeges, then click on Automaticly Save Chat Transcripts. For me I get a system sound and thats it. Repeated clicking gets repeated system sounds. Is there a place where iChat is saving these to or is the feature broken?
�It's kind of like a ring thing, comes with a dialer: you hit the symbols, it spins around, and lights come on; and it kinda flushes sideways.�

B5Garak

Forum Links
Forum Rules