Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro 1GB kits already not popular?

Mac Pro 1GB kits already not popular?
Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2006, 11:21 PM

I don't seem to be getting much interest in my 4 sets of 1GB (2x512) memory. Three weeks ago, I got a new Mac Pro 2.66 with 1GB of RAM as stock. Not knowing where to get RAM other than Crucial, I spent another $900 on 3GB's of 512MB sticks before I left the store.

So now I decide to upgrade to 8GB of ram, spent a huge wad on those ( on order ) and put the 512's on ebay for a starting bid of $150 and a buy it now of $200. Crucial is still $300 a pair and other places are now $200 a pair on the average. So you would think as Apple OEM in the box, they would move for that price, right?

Wrong.

On 4 auctions, I have a TOTAL of 5 watchers and no bids. I have been doing RAM upgrades in my Macs since the Ti-400 and have never had this kind of a problem selling RAM.

This is SUCH a bummer because if I can't get at LEAST $175 a pair for these on the average, I will have to cancel the order for the new memory.

Am I the only one who has got the shaft like this?

Any takers out there?

Any?
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

thebunny
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2006, 12:09 AM

That's retarded. I'll take a pair as a just ordered a Mac Pro an hour ago. Put it up again. And make sure you note that you ship to Canada when you set up the auction. I only buy from US if shipped via US Post tracked with delivery confirmation (UPS and FedEx charge nasty fees when. Post the link here afterwards. Or we can do it some other way...

thebunny
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2006, 12:12 AM

P.S. I'm totally going to kick myself when they come up with the Octo next week (not that I'd get it) and put in 2 GB in base config. Oh, and they aren't selling a lot of Mac Pros at all (I guess they really need a C2D desktop but there isn't one yet). See here.

Daniel Bayer  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2006, 07:40 PM

Dropped the price to $175-$185 buy it now, F_@#K! I can't believe they are sitting this long!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2975&rd=1&rd=1

Bummer....

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2006, 10:59 PM

Why not post this in the correct forum - Marketplace?
Michael

thebunny
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2006, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel Bayer View Post
Dropped the price to $175-$185 buy it now, F_@#K! I can't believe they are sitting this long!

eBay: APPLE MAC PRO 1GB KIT, 2X512 FB, 240 PIN, PC5300 DDR2!! (item 330049532975 end time Nov-19-06 17:41:01 PST)

Bummer....
I requested a quote for USPS shipping to me and you're ignoring it...

Daniel Bayer  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2006, 12:23 AM

I just got back home, let me look at the request....

Daniel Bayer  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2006, 01:53 PM

In all my years working with Appe products, this is the worst investment I have ever made. I have cancelled two of the auctions and will keep 2GB to add onto the 8GB in the machine.

If these F__king things are selling for $150 on ebay, by the time all the ebay and paypal fees are taken, I will have taken a loss of at least $175 a pair. NO WAY!!! Not on al of them.

What a drag this has been...

auero
Nov 18, 2006, 03:22 PM

I'd buy 4 512mb sticks from you but I'm out of cash at the moment. I just got my machine with 2gb installed. I'm going to max it out at 4gb

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2006, 03:36 PM

I just bid on a pair. I've got 4GB currently, but one open bank. 5GB wouldn't hurt...

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 06:40 PM

Well, if there are a few people watching the auction (and possibly a few more are watching who haven't clicked the "watch this auction" button), you could expect the bidding to start in earnest in the last minutes of the auction. You still might get what you're asking, and then some...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2006, 09:22 PM

Indeed a bad investment. I will repeat what I said on August 27 in the prominent RAM thread here:

"Note that Mac Pros have 8 slots, 16 GB max RAM, and power users are very likely to want all 16 GB during the lives of our new boxes. Photoshop already runs best with 8 GB on 2005 boxes/app/OS!

"Bargains" and smaller module sizes will very likely turn out to be less than ideal for folks who really _use_ the RAM. Note too that "adequate" heat sinks and "adequate" RAM quality are very different with 4x512 RAM on board running easy apps as compared to 8x2 GB on board running heavy apps 2 years from now.

My guess is we will see a number of less expensive 512 MB modules, simply because the max heat such modules can generate is 1/4 or less what a 2 GB module can generate. Therefore they need not be as well engineered. Perhaps a reasonable deal for folks whose apps + the OS will never need more than 4 GB total RAM in the future, but I would bet that almost all of us will be wanting more than 4 Gb for the OS and future apps.

Power users should be (future) planning for 16 GB of RAM and the attendant heat. Bargain RAM has never been a bargain in the long run."

Personally I would not consider adding DIMMs sized smaller than 2 GB to a MP, except when forced to by Apple's minimum stock RAM.

Since that August post, testing by Barefeats as well as graphics users' reports indicate that MPs need RAM and that 4 GB should already be considered a minimum for heavy graphics users (e.g. Aperture or Photoshop).

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Nov 18, 2006 at 09:31 PM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2006, 04:39 PM

I'm not surprised that there is no aftermarket demand for small FB-DIMMs... FB-DIMMs were more-or-less developed for the purpose of putting lots of memory in machines; you don't buy a very capable machine in terms of memory capacity only to put a little bit of memory in it.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2006, 05:04 PM

I agree, I had to go with the small FB-DIMMs because of my budget. I have 2 gig but I now need more and while I'm not going to sell what I have, I'll buy some higher density modules, move the lower density to the second riser and use both.

I've never seen anyone making money low density ram regardless of it being FB-DIMMs or other form factors.
Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules