Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > K.I.T.T. for sale on eBay

K.I.T.T. for sale on eBay
Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2004, 11:59 AM

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

BrandonAllan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2004, 01:21 PM

http://markscustomkits.com/kitt-restoration.htm

So a possibly one-of-a-kind original was taken and hacked up to make it "just another conversion car." What a joke.

Taking an old Trans-Am and adding these parts would be the exact same except that it would not be destroying a collectors item like this.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 02:17 PM

I actually sat in one of those cars when I was a kid. Had my picture taken and everything. It glowed inside!

Now cars have a lot more lights in them than Kitt ever did!

$40,000? let me just sell a few more CDs......

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2004, 02:23 PM

I wonder how many of us, when we used to watch Knight Rider, wanted that car!

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jul 24, 2004, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
I wonder how many of us, when we used to watch Knight Rider, wanted that car!
And some - not yet sure about their sexual orientation - got a funny feeling when looking at David Hasselhof.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Socially Awkward Solo  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2004, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by cszar2001:
And some - not yet sure about their sexual orientation - got a funny feeling when looking at David Hasselhof.
Yarg, not me!

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

agentz
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by cszar2001:
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

george68
Banned
Jul 24, 2004, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by BrandonAllan:
http://markscustomkits.com/kitt-restoration.htm

So a possibly one-of-a-kind original was taken and hacked up to make it "just another conversion car." What a joke.

Taking an old Trans-Am and adding these parts would be the exact same except that it would not be destroying a collectors item like this.

Dude... it was a raging piece of ****. Nothing worked, and had you read the article, it said that it had been abused and hacked up. What would YOU rather have? An original KITT car that sucked ass and made people go "Oh cool!!! Hey...uh.. did they all look this crude?" Or have them go "WOW! Is this an original Kitt car?!?! It's frekaing sweet! WHAT'S that button do! WOW! Amazing!"

- Rob

OH-N'omac
Jul 24, 2004, 07:25 PM

By "enhancing" it instead of just restoring it, the owner probably killed a lot of the value. I like the part about the button that turns the front brakes off...I want one of those.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2004, 08:08 PM

eBay... the best place to find overpriced junk.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2004, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
eBay... the best place to find overpriced junk.

Does your car have turbo boost?

I thought not.

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2004, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
Does your car have turbo boost?

I thought not.
Super Pursuit Mode baby. I wonder if a version of the SPM KITT car is still around. I'm not quite sure if it was a different car or what, but it totally looked badass when it converted.

Actually I found the answer to that one on imdb:
-Super-Pursuit Mode was introduced as a means of retaining viewers for a fourth season.

-You never see a long shot of KITT changing into Super Pursuit Mode, since KITT is not moving at all. A shell of KITT's body was used when filming the transition to Super Pursuit Mode, since large hydraulic rams were needed to articulate the body panels, and there was no room for an engine or running gear in the car.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 09:38 AM

I loved that show. I always wanted a KITT car.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2004, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by george68:
Dude... it was a raging piece of ****. Nothing worked, and had you read the article, it said that it had been abused and hacked up. What would YOU rather have? An original KITT car that sucked ass and made people go "Oh cool!!! Hey...uh.. did they all look this crude?" Or have them go "WOW! Is this an original Kitt car?!?! It's frekaing sweet! WHAT'S that button do! WOW! Amazing!"
Yes.

That is the difference between a collector and a bling bling show-off.

Which would YOU rather be?

Don't bother answering.

-s*

george68
Banned
Jul 25, 2004, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Yes.

That is the difference between a collector and a bling bling show-off.

Which would YOU rather be?

Don't bother answering.

-s*
Wrong. Look... I know more about cars than you, so you can take a nice warm glass of STFU. If you have 2 cars... a highly desirable 1970 Hemi Cuda with tons of options, and a 1972 Cuda with a 383.... but the 70 Cuda is not running, rusty, missing parts from the interior, and the paint is peeling, and the 72 is extremely cherry, the 72 is worth more. That Kitt car with it's non functional dash and hacked up interior and body was JUNK, even if it was an original. In order for an original to be worth anything, it has to be in good shape.

- Rob

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2004, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by george68:
Wrong. Look... I know more about cars than you, so you can take a nice warm glass of STFU. If you have 2 cars... a highly desirable 1970 Hemi Cuda with tons of options, and a 1972 Cuda with a 383.... but the 70 Cuda is not running, rusty, missing parts from the interior, and the paint is peeling, and the 72 is extremely cherry, the 72 is worth more. That Kitt car with it's non functional dash and hacked up interior and body was JUNK, even if it was an original. In order for an original to be worth anything, it has to be in good shape.
I salute your superior knowledge of cars.

Unfortunately, having some knowledge of automobiles does not mean that you have the slightest ****ing clue about movie collectibles, or collectibles in general.

Obviously.

-s*

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 07:59 PM

Well, it's really only good as a show piece anyway, what with the two gallon fuel cell.

And I agree with Rob about the restoration. I mean, once you have it in your garage, (where it'll stay since your 350cid engine probably can't make it back from the gas station on two gallons of gas), it's just a show piece. So your buds come over, and look at the car.

"Does the thing on the front move?"

"No."

"How about the TV monitor inside?"

"No."

"How about..."

"No."

Or, you could have the pimped out conversation piece. I guess if you find true happiness via the serene inner glow generated by owning a piece of authentic hollywood fakery, this restoration is a travesty. If you just think KITT was cool, the resto is cool, because it takes the simple prop up to a new level.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2004, 08:01 PM

I think that I will save that money for some needed remodeling and the purchase a G5.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

george68
Banned
Jul 25, 2004, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
I salute your superior knowledge of cars.

Unfortunately, having some knowledge of automobiles does not mean that you have the slightest ****ing clue about movie collectibles, or collectibles in general.

Obviously.

-s*
Sorry my friend, you do not have the slightest clue when it comes to collectable automobiles. If you have an original General Lee car used in the TV series "dukes of hazzard', but it's a raging pile of ****, rusty, doesn't run, broken glass, and crap interior, it's worth about 5-10 grand. If you take that car, and professionally restore it, it will be worth a LOT more.

You're wrong. Sorry.

- Rob

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 10:15 PM

It doesn't really matter how it was restored, as long as it was done rather accurately, which this one was.. to it's perceived appearance. Keep in mind the guy bought the KITT wanting it to be a real KITT, even if it was just a movie prop.

Thing is, even with the restoration/rebuild it's a KITT. The body's a kitt body, the engine was a custom engine, the functionality is still kitt functionality.. sure a few things have been replaced but that doesn't change the fact it is what it is.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2004, 10:57 PM

I wonder if this model is still "fire and wreck" proof like it was in the show...

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
I wonder if this model is still "fire and wreck" proof like it was in the show...
Don't forget "bullet".

Ahh, Knight Rider. Great show. Bonnie was the best!

george68
Banned
Jul 25, 2004, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
Don't forget "bullet".

Ahh, Knight Rider. Great show. Bonnie was the best!
Meh. I used to watch it, but it sucked in comparison to the dukes.

- Rob

Forum Links
Forum Rules