Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Help! Quicktime weirdness!

Help! Quicktime weirdness!
amrosario
Jun 18, 2001, 11:40 AM

Any thoughts?

I've got Quicktime 5 installed on my new iBook and I'm suddenly having this strange problem. It seemed to happen overnight... I go to double click a QT movie file and QT displays a little box with an icon that looks like a QT extension that says:

"Converting xxxxxx from Quicktime Movie to Unknown format"

Then a grey bars shows that it's converting the movie and the file opens as a sound file, and not a movie.

I've dumped QT and reinstalled it, and I've gotten rid of the prefs. Is there anything more I can do? I ran a confict test with Confict Catcher and the problem lies in QT somewhere. Is there a setting that got changed that I missed?

Thanks in advance (this is driving me crazy)
"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat."

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2001, 03:21 PM

You mihgt check your File Exchange CP to see if there's something odd in the QuickTime formats.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Phorte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2001, 10:34 PM

First, try trashing QT prefs and reboot. If that doesn't work:

Try download the quicktime installer from www.apple.com/quicktime. Then, erase all traces of quicktime off of your hard drive. Reboot. Afterwards, reinstall QT. This will most likely fix the problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules