Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Long load times of Classic at startup

Long load times of Classic at startup
mfox
Apr 15, 2001, 09:37 AM

I have set my preferences to load Classic at startup so that I least get the loading out of the way. However, the Classic load seems to take about 3-4 minutes extra, including about a minute between the time the loading progress bar indicates it is finished loading and the time it is actually finished. Any idea what is going on in that period? Also, has anyone experimented with minimizing the extension set of 9.1 to make it load faster - does this actually reduce load time? One thing I'm suspicious of is Apple Menu Options, as this increased load time in previous system versions.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2001, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by mfox:
Also, has anyone experimented with minimizing the extension set of 9.1 to make it load faster - does this actually reduce load time?
Absolutely!! That's the first thing I do whenever I install OS X on a machine and plan on using Classic. Get rid of ALL third-party extensions because they not only slow down Classic, but introduce bugs and often prevent Classic from loading at all. Then get rid on any Apple-installed extensions you think you won't need. Don't worry about removing too much; OS X will automatically put back anything that's absolutely essential to loading Classic.

Also, try holding the "shift" key the next time Classic loads. This has the same effect as is does when normally booting OS 7.x-9.x; it disables extensions and dramatically shortens boot time. Of course, you'll have limited functionality then, but I usually only do this when I'm debugging a misbehaving set of extensions.

------------------
��Quiero m�s Mac OS X!!

[This message has been edited by starfleetX (edited 04-15-2001).]
The server made a boo boo. (403)

amontague
Apr 16, 2001, 08:46 AM

There is a thread on the MacFixit forums that gives some great advice for speeding up classic. You will find it here: http://www.macfixit.com/ultimate/For...ML/002030.html

Andrew Montague

Rando
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2001, 07:31 PM

Turning off all unneeded extensions does speed things up quite a bit. Classic actually launched more quickly (60 seconds) in the PB than it does in Final (100 seconds) on my machine. It's a lot more stable, though.

On an unrelated "tip" note -- Logitech's "Mouseware" really screwed up the Classic environment on my machine.
--=Rando=--
"We're sure to sell a million units ... in January."
...ad for the Beach Boy's "Smile" album

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2001, 08:29 PM

To summarize the thread, shutting off Classic AppleTalk and Apple Menu Options and rebuilding the Desktop does the trick.

I tried it and it works like blazes for me.

------------------
Since EBCDIC
Make every post count!
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

mfox  (op)
Apr 17, 2001, 09:05 PM

If you turn off Appletalk, does this affect your ability to print from a Classic application? Or is all printing done through OS X?

AirSluf
Senior User
Apr 18, 2001, 02:58 AM

Apple menu Options on 43 sec

Apple menu options Off 21 sec

DP500 and yes printing works with Appletalk disabled, unless you are specifically trying to use it for something like a laser printer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules