Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Reasons NOT to buy a G5?

Reasons NOT to buy a G5?
C-Bear
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2003, 04:47 AM

In the midst of the current G5 lust (If you can afford one � buy it!), I'm wondering what cooler heads might argue is a reason not to buy one�yet

Rev B? Optimized software? Panther? Etc., etc.

Thoughts (for a guy who's thinking about getting one now)?
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

Esquare
Sep 11, 2003, 04:51 AM

Originally posted by C-Bear:
In the midst of the current G5 lust (If you can afford one � buy it!), I'm wondering what cooler heads might argue is a reason not to buy one�yet
Reasons I can think of:

* Expensive memory
* Large size
* Not able to run Virtual PC
* Price doesn't include OSX 10.3 (yet)
* No connector for old Apple Pro Speakers
* No PCI connectors in 1.8 and Dual 2

TC
Senior User
Sep 11, 2003, 05:36 AM

I bought a Rev A B&W G3 and had problems due to the crap IDE implementation.
I bought a Rev A Titanium Powerbook G4 and had to deal with a crap firewire implementation.

The big positive with both these machines is that by the time they came out Apple had already been using their processors for a long time so most software already made use of them. On top of the potential problems with Rev A hardware you will have to wait until software has been updated to make full use of the G5 processor.

I know if I had the money in my pocket I would have already ordered a 2x2GHz machine. Since I don't I can wait for next year when any issues will have been ironed out, more software will have been tuned to make use of the machine and I will probably get more Ghz for my money.

If you can wait, wait.
Nothing to see, move along.

Dyeus
Sep 11, 2003, 06:33 AM

my reason #1: NO MONEY

I am open to donations though

michaelb
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2003, 06:34 AM

Thoughts:

- wait for Rev B.

- wait for Panther 10.3.2

- wait until Apple does the right thing and makes the Pro line dual-processor across the range, or AT LEAST makes the middle a dual.

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2003, 07:33 AM

Option #1: no money.. same here..

#2: you're buying it for the speed. The PCI-X won't make a ****ing difference and nor will the 64 bit stuff, because by the time it's optimized for your computer, you'll be wanting a new one..

BUT to counter that argument, when I bought my g4 most apps were not multi-processor enhanced. That, and the addition of 10.2, QE, a handful of other goodies, and my g4's like 3 times faster to me now then it was the day I bought it!!

I'm sure with 64 bit enhancements, a plethora of new apps (I'm positive PS8 will be fully G5 enhanced), and all sorts of goodies, by the time 2 years have passed, that machine can be used to it's full potential.

The sad thing is however, most of the people purchasing G5s (so far, at least), are impatient people that already have dual G4s, most MDD g4s!!

If you buy a new computer that often you'll never see what that g5 was made for. Heck, I haven't even found a freaking 64bit PCI card that I wanted for my g4.. YET!

The only 2 things that tick me off are:

1. my g4 only has ata66
2. It's max ram limit is 1.5gb

^^ BOTH COULD HAVE BEEN FIXED BY A FREAKING CHIPSET REVISION!

It kidna sucks too, as I could have gotten a PC at the time with 4gb. Oh well.

I'm sure when the time is right my quicksilver will have a new buddy
Aloha

slipjack
Senior User
Sep 11, 2003, 08:06 AM

1) The dual machine is expensive, I'm guessing we'll see it dropped to the middle slot sometime in the future. Hopefully right when,

2) Panther comes out. You'll get more use out of that G5 power with the upgraded OS software.

3) VPC compatiblity is actually an issue for me. I use the software, and each revision it gets snappier. My VPC version of Win2k boots faster than most PC laptops! Video performance improved with 6.1 update, although it still could use help. Hopefully, Micro$oft will put out a compatible version by the next G5 revision. Bad news: it's Micro$oft we're talking abou there. Good news: Thier Mac devision seems pretty savvy and has done some good things for the Mac.

4) Cost - Performance. As I've mentioned in other threads, the MDD 1.42 is a GREAT deal considering the power you get. If you really have to buy now, I think dual MDD is a consideration. Because of the processor upgrade, infrastructure improvements, case redesign, etc., people have been willing to overlook the fact that the mid�range Mac is only single-proc., but I think you gain so much from symmetric mutli-processsing in OS X it's a shame. Duals and OS X were made for each other.

5) Audio. Do we even know how the G5 handle's audio cards/midi cards/software? Seems like the audio industry had hardly caught up to the G4 yet. I have audio professional friends that still use OS 9 because they can't get what they need in OS X. I'd imagine the G5 could complicate that further with unknown quirks, differences from the G4. (ie., the same kind of problem that VPC runs into could come up with audio programs as well)

6) I hate to say this... Need. Do you really need to upgrade? I don't. I was VERY tempted to run out and buy the dual G5 just because of the noise reduction, but right now for me speed just isn't an issue. We'll, it's ALWAYS an issue, just not a 3k issue.

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

stevep63
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2003, 09:34 AM

BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT SHIPPING!!! Until I see my %^*%@*^!! dual sitting on my desk that I ordered almost THREE MONTHS ago, the thing is freakin' vaporware AFAIC!

-BitterDude

p.s. - perhaps by the time the jackasses have 3.0 G5 chips, the 2.0's will be shipping! ARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2003, 10:06 AM

Top five reasons NOT not to buy a G5:

* It's a Rev A machine

* Space for only one optical and two hard disks

* All those holes and no filter?

* Only single cpu machines are currently available and the dual costs $3000

* Al Gore has one (just kidding )

Personally I think I'll be getting a Dual 2Ghz with the edu discount when they become available. I'd like to get a Dual 1.42 (as I like the case design and its expandability) but can't find one cheap enough to justify the fairly small difference in price.

Leonis
Senior User
Sep 11, 2003, 11:57 AM

One top reason:

It doesn't run Windows - OS of choice
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2003, 12:18 PM

I'm not waiting for a hardware revision, but I can see why some people would. I am going to wait for Panther though. I suspect that Panther will ship about the time that the backlog for the dual-processor model abates.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

lacrymology
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2003, 02:11 PM

1) Panther not out.

2a) Waiting for a dual mid-range model.
or
2b) Waiting for a refurb Rev. A

It all boils down to:

At the moment; does not convince me that it is appreciably better than my SunBlade 150 / Solaris system.

-m

action
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2003, 03:18 PM

as it stands now the 1.6 and 1.8 are dogs. the dual 1.25 are everybit as capable.

no doubt when everything get's optimized the g5's will be capable machines but who knows when that's going to be.

i think if you have a dual 1 gig or above there is no reason to rush and upgrade now.

i would give it at least till jan 04 before thinking of upgrading if you have the above listed machines.

chung

ps. i hope the dual g5 i ordered is at least as stable and efficient as the dual 1.25's.

Bbazzarrakk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2003, 03:24 PM

as it stands now the 1.6 and 1.8 are dogs. the dual 1.25 are everybit as capable.
My opinion is that since those singles currently hold their ground with the duals running unoptimized software, they are anything but "dogs".

Baz

C-Bear  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2003, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by slipjack:
6) I hate to say this... Need. Do you really need to upgrade?
I'm on a three-year-old iMac. I need a good new family desktop that will stay sharp for a few years and hopefully grow (that is, exapand) over that time.
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

fhoubi
Senior User
Sep 11, 2003, 07:02 PM

I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2003, 08:24 PM

My only suggestion is to gut it out and wait for a Rev B. That's what I'm doing, and I'm on a 233MHz beige G3 with 192MB of RAM.

If you're that desperate to speed up your Mac, max out your RAM and buy an Ultra2 SCSI card and a 15k RPM HD.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2003, 11:26 PM

IMO:

1) too expensive for me now; with all the uprades I need to go from OS 9 to X fulltime it would double the cost.

2) Rev B - just in case there are some serious kinks lurking about + any mods made by Apple (like duals across the board)

3) Panther. I visited the SOHO Apple store enough times to realize that these computers need to be much faster. If Panther is the saving grace, my unused credit line at Apple will be activated and thoroughly abused.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2003, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by Esquare:
Reasons I can think of:
What? The 1.8 and 2.0 machines have PCI-X slots, that are more then capable of accepting a standard PCI board (3.3 volt).

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2003, 07:34 AM

How about that you don't really need one and you only have a bad case of "upgrade-itis"?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2003, 08:07 AM

If I can swing it financially, I would like to get a G5 and a new Powerbook. Powerbook is a definite and if funds allow I'll get a G5 for Christmas or MWSF time frame (and dump my old PIII 600). I'll get Panther and hope a better price is my resoning to wait.
( Last edited by Crusoe; Sep 12, 2003 at 04:07 PM. )
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2003, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Esquare:
Reasons I can think of:

* Expensive memory
* Large size
* Not able to run Virtual PC
* Price doesn't include OSX 10.3 (yet)
* No connector for old Apple Pro Speakers

And only one optical drive...

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2003, 12:28 AM

A bit too pricey for me.

Strikes me as a first generation machine, and over-engineered. The super-large casing, and high-tech cooling system just makes me feel like the chip may be a bit warmer/hotter than the run-of-the-mill desktop processor.

If I was in the market, I'll get a cheaper machine for now (e.g. eMac), and wait till

1. The prices fall or
2. the G5 matures, becomes smaller and cooler, and subsequently the casing becomes less massive, or more hard disks/optical drives can fit in the chassis.
3. The G5 matures, becomes smaller and cooler, and Apple feels compelled to put one in the consumer machines due to pressure from the Wintel machines.

I have a feeling the current crop of G5 desktops will look really really dated in a year's time.

Just my opinion.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2003, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by cc_foo:
A bit too pricey for me.

Strikes me as a first generation machine, and over-engineered. The super-large casing, and high-tech cooling system just makes me feel like the chip may be a bit warmer/hotter than the run-of-the-mill desktop processor.

If I was in the market, I'll get a cheaper machine for now (e.g. eMac), and wait till

1. The prices fall or
2. the G5 matures, becomes smaller and cooler, and subsequently the casing becomes less massive, or more hard disks/optical drives can fit in the chassis.
3. The G5 matures, becomes smaller and cooler, and Apple feels compelled to put one in the consumer machines due to pressure from the Wintel machines.
4. The OS and the apps that I use frequently become optimised for the G5 and the performance gap with the G4s are so incredibly huge that it would be idiocy to buy anything else...

I have a feeling the current crop of G5 desktops will look really really dated in a year's time.

Just my opinion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules