Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Screen Spanning + Full screen stuff

Screen Spanning + Full screen stuff
Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 26, 2004, 09:52 PM

So I enabled the screen spanning hack for my iBook and I'm using a spare display as another monitor. Some apps, such as MPlayer, play nicely when going to full screen. It leaves the other display alone so you can continue to work in it, or just monitor something.

Some apps, such as Starcraft, do not play nice. Does anyone know of a way to force the app to play nice and not turn the other display into a worthless black?

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
So I enabled the screen spanning hack for my iBook and I'm using a spare display as another monitor. Some apps, such as MPlayer, play nicely when going to full screen. It leaves the other display alone so you can continue to work in it, or just monitor something.

Some apps, such as Starcraft, do not play nice. Does anyone know of a way to force the app to play nice and not turn the other display into a worthless black?
Not that I'm aware of It's not just an iBook thing though, this applies to PowerBooks and other Macs with monitor spanning.

I hope Tiger will bring far more control over two displays.

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2004, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
Not that I'm aware of It's not just an iBook thing though, this applies to PowerBooks and other Macs with monitor spanning.

I hope Tiger will bring far more control over two displays.
I don't think Tiger is likely to help, as it's more an application issue than an OS issue. Some applications behave nicely, while others take over all available display space, turning anything they don't actually use to black (presumably to reduce precessing required for those displays?).

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2004, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by Brass:
I don't think Tiger is likely to help, as it's more an application issue than an OS issue. Some applications behave nicely, while others take over all available display space, turning anything they don't actually use to black (presumably to reduce precessing required for those displays?).
I think that the VRAM is still split up between the 2 displays so I don't know if it helps or not. Starcraft is the only app I use regularly enough that I care and it even has coding for choosing which display you want to play on. But it still takes over the screen.

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
Yeah, I knew it wasn't an iBook thing. Just throwing in more info than needed, I guess.

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2004, 03:27 AM

Is the Apple DVD player also behaving badly for you too? I tried it one day by hooking my PB up to my TV, and playing a DVD fullscreen on the TV while keeping a desktop on my PB screen. The problem was when I tried to click on something on the desktop or switching to another application, and then the DVD on my TV would drop out of fullscreen and take on a zoomed state.

Is it a setting that I am not checking or does this happen to you too?

Ruahrc

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2004, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by Ruahrc:
Is the Apple DVD player also behaving badly for you too? I tried it one day by hooking my PB up to my TV, and playing a DVD fullscreen on the TV while keeping a desktop on my PB screen. The problem was when I tried to click on something on the desktop or switching to another application, and then the DVD on my TV would drop out of fullscreen and take on a zoomed state.

Is it a setting that I am not checking or does this happen to you too?

Ruahrc
Preferences -> Full Screen -> Remain in Full Screen when DVD Player is inactive

Apple has perfected DVD Player for multi display computers.

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2004, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Apple has perfected DVD Player for multi display computers.
Is there a way to get DVD Player to display in full screen on the second monitor - not the one with the menu bar?

I haven't found that option. I ended up using VLC (in which i can choose which monitor will be used to display full screen).

I guess there is a rather simple way to do this, but i just can't find it.

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2004, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by Zadian:
Is there a way to get DVD Player to display in full screen on the second monitor - not the one with the menu bar?
Omg - i found the solution in the DVD Player Help. It's just to easy and to obvious for me to find.

Just move the playback window to the monitor you like and go to full screen mode. DVD Player will will display the DVD on the monitor the display window is in full screen mode.

Wow, Apple is making things to easy for me...

Xeo  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2004, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by Zadian:
Wow, Apple is making things to easy for me...
Who'da thunk that?

Forum Links
Forum Rules